ClubAdventist is back!

Publishing House Merger Off

Gregory Matthews

• Administrators

It seems odd that the issue is a concern based on the situation in EGW's day of having all publishing coming under common control and that Pacific Press should maintain its independence. We are already so far past that. First, Pacific Press is not, nor has it been for a very long time, an independent publisher. That would mean that it has an independent board, not accountable to any other entity. It's board, like that of the the Review and Herald, are appointed by the GC, which legally defines them both as being under the control of the GC. So Pacific Press and the Review and Herald are really already under common control.

Neither can truly be described as truly independent publishers since they are clearly under Church control. Just within NAD, there are also a number of publishers that are totally independent from the Church and quite a few independent ministries that do publishing. And there are several other publishers within NAD that are under control of a NAD denominational entity. I would assume that was not the case in EGW's day, certainly not to the same extent it is now.

And beyond those actual independent publishers, these two publishers are not all of publishing. As the article points out there are more than 60 denominational publishers around the world. I believe that all of them are not under the direct control of the GC, but under the control of the Division/Union/Conference/Institution where they are located. Most Divisions have their own publishing house. NAD doesn't, even though these two are located within the NAD. NAD does have representation on both boards.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Moderators
I believe we have divine counsel against centralization and establishment of mega-institutions. I'm glad the merger did not go through.

• Administrators

Even combined, I don't think the two publishing houses really could be described as a mega-institution. The time of the dominance of print media in NAD is passing. And the modalities of print media are changing so dramatically it is hard to justify the type of presses we have in place. I don't think there is enough printing work of the type they are designed for to keep one going full time, much less two.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

Not many ABCs are turning a profit...

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Not many ABCs are turning a profit...

The business of the ABC and the business of the publisher are two different business'....There is some over lapping in some areas but if the ABC were to have better goals [aka run differently], perhaps our publishers would fair better.....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Administrators

Might be for the best. I am not in favor of monopolies.

Agreed

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God