ClubAdventist is back!

Is coffee drinking really a sin?

EmptyTomb

• Administrators

I thought EmptyTomb was hopefullone..........

Correct on that. That is what I mean. There are legitimate reasons for people to take an alias. He has proved himself as incapable of restraining himself to common courtesy in all the disguises. Almost everything he said was to mock someone.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

No respect for others' boundaries... Has been accused of stalking here

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

I though the whole M.T. Tomb then EmptyTomb thing was kinda creepy personally.

You are the not the only one who has expressed that sentiment...

Originally Posted By: psalms37
maybe i should cut back on my drug or i mean coffee. giggle

Does it surprise anyone that this is HopefulOne?

I'm surprised, but I was never really all that familiar with HopefulOne.

• Administrators

there were occasions when e white used the substances to help her when her system needed it.

i dont think it is a black and white thing.

health reform is something progressive,

and e. white took a long time to stop using meat, and said excessive sugar was more harmful them eating meat.

we may not have meat at potlucks, but we do have generous pies, cookies and cakes.

sin is whatever you know the Lord is asking you to do, and you do not do it.

if he has not spoken to you about the Sabbath for you Sabbath breaking is not sin.

when we are in ignorance God winks.

also God is leading us step by step, if we take steps apart from him we fall into self righteousness, and that is tougher to deal with then whether we drink tea or coffee.

our conscience does not live on the dry pages of a book, it is in our heart.

• Like 3

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Members

there were occasions when e white used the substances to help her when her system needed it.

i dont think it is a black and white thing.

health reform is something progressive,

and e. white took a long time to stop using meat, and said excessive sugar was more harmful them eating meat.

we may not have meat at potlucks, but we do have generous pies, cookies and cakes.

sin is whatever you know the Lord is asking you to do, and you do not do it.

if he has not spoken to you about the Sabbath for you Sabbath breaking is not sin.

when we are in ignorance God winks.

also God is leading us step by step, if we take steps apart from him we fall into self righteousness, and that is tougher to deal with then whether we drink tea or coffee.

our conscience does not live on the dry pages of a book, it is in our heart.

:like:

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 1 year later...

::spewcoffee::

First Step Toward Apostasy.--One thing is certain: Those Seventh-day Adventists who take their stand under Satan's banner will first give up their faith in the warnings and reproofs contained in the testimonies of God's Spirit.
 Lt 156, 1903.  {PM 360.1}

Sunday, a child of the Papacy, has taken the place of God's holy Sabbath. As Nebuchadnezzar made a golden image, and set it up to be worshiped by all, so Sunday is placed before the people to be regarded as sacred. This day bears not a vestige of sanctity, yet it is held up to be honored by all. {RH, April 27, 1911 par. 6}

First Step Toward Apostasy.--One thing is certain: Those Seventh-day Adventists who take their stand under Satan's banner will first give up their faith in the warnings and reproofs contained in the testimonies of God's Spirit.
 Lt 156, 1903.  {PM 360.1}

:thumbsup:  ::like::

• Administrators

Temporarily locked for administrative review...

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

:backtopic:

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Is it not a sin to willfully put into one's body what one knows to be harmful?

ESV | ‎Jas 4:17 So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin. 
‎‎NASB95 | ‎Jas 4:17 Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin. 
‎‎NIV84 | ‎Jas 4:17 Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins. 
‎‎NRSV | ‎Jas 4:17 Anyone, then, who knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, commits sin. 
‎‎KJV 1900 | ‎Jas 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. 

• Administrators

What do mean by "harmful"?

• 2 weeks later...

This brings up a side issue .

If her calling coffee drinking a sin .... only applied to her time .... why didn't she say so.

Do EGW's writing really apply to our day or where they a massage for her time only?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

It is interesting to read Ellen White on this subject, my suggestion is that her focus is towards Caffeine addiction which is proven to be harmful and its interesting to note the sheer growth in the use of Caffeine in different products in modern times. Its no coincidence that energy drinks and so forth are loaded with Caffeine for the hit that it brings to people, its available here in Australia as tablets to keep people awake and so forth and I cant imagine the medical community being keen on addition to that type of thing.

What is a problem here at the moment is people mixing Energy Drinks of various varieties and Vodka and getting rolling drunk and full of Caffeine stimulant at the same time. Several people have died after the sheer volume that they have consumed in a night. In those terms I can see why Ellen White might have a problem with the use of Caffeine as a drug.

That said I drink weak iced green tea for the health benefits it provides such as the sheer antioxidants provided to your body in each glass. If Ellen White was exposed to that information I suggest to you that she might do the same and for the same reasons.  

"people have died drinking multiple energy drinks and alcohol".

People have died drinking too much energy drink alone.  People have died drinking too much water.

"people have died drinking multiple energy drinks and alcohol".

People have died drinking too much energy drink alone.  People have died drinking too much water.

Hey JoeMo,

Do you have any documentation for the statement on people dying from drinking too much water?  Just curious, as to get water poisoning the amount of it you have to ingest is extreme.  

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

It is called "water intoxication" and it can have fatal results. Here is one of the more "famous" cases:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/death-dying/water-intoxication.htm

However, I do feel that just because water can kill, it does not give an OK for other substances.

Thanks, Lyndon.  

This is something just can't happen under normal circumstances.  A person has to go way out of their way to kill themselves by drinking water.  I'd imagine that the woman in this article was feeling extremely bloated before she even came close to the point of drinking herself to death.  Plus, she had stop urinating too.  I'd imagine that urinating rather than holding it would have probably saved her life.  

Alexis de Tocqueville

Actually, water intoxication is more common than you would think. Just a bit uncommon to progress to death. In the ICU, it is not uncommon to have someone come in seizing and find extremely low sodium values in their electrolyte results. Then you have a somewhat extended time of replacing it slow enough not to cause brain damage. Brain damage can occur with sodium going too low or coming up too fast.

Water intoxication can be a problem from drinking too much plain water under extreme heat conditions.

But, once again, it's down to a couple of things here, not just drinking too much water.  

I've experienced getting sick from drinking water, but, it was under circumstances that person doesn't normally get into.  I was working in an environment that was at least 120 degrees and doing heavy manual labor in that heat.  I sweat a lot and got to the point that I couldn't keep up with my thirst, which was caused at least in part by the loss of electrolytes.  I felt really lousy for a couple of days, but then thought I'd try some Gator Aid.  That cured my thirst and the feeling lousy too, but I had to drink close to a gallon of it to replace all my lost electrolytes.  After that first day of doing that I only had to drink about a quart of of Gator Aid a day to keep up with the loss.  

This was back in the day when Gator Aid first came out.  I'd heard all the hoopla but figured it was all advertising.  Found out it was true.  It really does work.  

Alexis de Tocqueville