ClubAdventist is back!

Speaking of Faith...

Tom Wetmore

• Administrators
Quote:
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is control.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Hmmmm....haven't thought this thru yet....

What type of faith are you describing? a belief that requires compelling action? A Works connected to a philosphy?

How is control involved?

This conundrum reminds me of another-

The opposite of Agape Love is not hate, but apathy....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Administrators

I like how David Asscherick puts it- our normal nature wants to "get, get, get," or feed itself. God's kingdom is based on, "give, give, give."

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Quote:
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is control.

Logically, and philosophically I don't find it to be true in all cases. Perhaps it may be true in certain religious context of any religion, but it does not have to be.

Let's say I weigh in at 400lbs, and I get a trainer. I trust that trainers methods will get me to loose 200lbs.

Let's say that I have nothing to go by, but the trainer's word that it will work. Is the trainer in control, or I am? I'm the one choosing to believe him. In essence, I'm in charge of that choice. That choice requires me to make other micro-choices, that will change my behavior.

These may not work, but at any step of time these don't require me to give up control. Quite the opposite, these require me to be in more control.

So, it all depends on the context in which you place the faith. If a faith is passive, where you are sitting and waiting for change to come, instead of actively pursuing the change... then perhaps such definition is accurate.

• Administrators

I see what you are saying... If you act in accordance with the advice the trainer gives you, is that faith?

I think so. You have to trust the trainer, that he's not taking you down a false path.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Quote:
What type of faith are you describing? a belief that requires compelling action? A Works connected to a philosphy?

this reminds me of Abraham, when he received the promise of a son, instead of exercising faith and behavior in harmony with faith, he took control and exercised behavior to make the promise happen by his own power.

so Issac was eventually born not by the will of man nor of the will of the flesh but by the will of God.

so when we are born again, it is not by our own will nor by the will of our flesh, but by the word of God (the promises), by the will of God.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

I totally agree. I believe that we have to realize that Lucifer has set up this world for us to fail from the day we are born, and no matter what we do, we will lose. Once we believe we have control, Lucifer wins. Surrendering all to Christ is the only way to be victorious. And even then, the victor is Christ.