ClubAdventist is back!

Worst Pieces of Advice I’ve Ever Received

phkrause

• Members

As I review the past six decades, I’ve received more than my fair share of advice—occasionally even solicited. But of all the advice I’ve ever received, these 15 stand out as amongst the worst. They are in more or less reverse chronological order, although the well-meaning but misguided wisdom they display has proven to be timeless.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Love-Family/Gal..._term=yahoo.com

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members

I sure remember the worst advice I ever got. One of my best friends had a recurrence of cancer and someone told me I should be very honest with any conversation I had with her. So I was -- and ending up hurting her deeply. She died before I could ever try to make amends.

Lesson learned the hard way: my opinion is seldom important enough to express at the expense of someone's feelings..

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

Worst piece of advice I ever received is way too personal to share on the ww-web; suffice to say, "Unsolicited advice is abuse!"

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Moderators

Quote:
"Unsolicited advice is abuse!"

It often is.

By the way, I have something that I would like to say to you.

:):):)

See what I mean. As soon as I said that I changed the entire context of this post.

Gregory

• Administrators

Not sure this is the worst advice I ever received, but it would be on the list of top ten. "Get a haircut and you will be a better person."

That was in the early 70's from my academy principal and just in case I misunderstood he added that in his experience it was the long-haired guys that were always getting in trouble. So he really didn't mean I would look better, or even feel better. In his mind it was a character or even a moral issue that would automatically change behavior. I would be a better person if I got a haircut, sort of a reverse Sampson effect.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Thats funny Tom, that would be the same advice I got for years and years.

I used to work for this guy, a really wonderful man, but he told me one day that having long hair was a sin. I asked him if he had ever heard of Samson. Oddly enough he had nothing to say after that.

• Administrators

I sure remember the worst advice I ever got. One of my best friends had a recurrence of cancer and someone told me I should be very honest with any conversation I had with her. So I was -- and ending up hurting her deeply. She died before I could ever try to make amends.

Lesson learned the hard way: my opinion is seldom important enough to express at the expense of someone's feelings..

Ouch! I'm glad that you did learn a lesson, but that was a painful one all around ((( Pam )))

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Thats funny Tom, that would be the same advice I got for years and years.

I used to work for this guy, a really wonderful man, but he told me one day that having long hair was a sin. I asked him if he had ever heard of Samson. Oddly enough he had nothing to say after that.

Or Moses. Or Jesus.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Please indicate verses that describe the length of Moses' hair. I KNOW he had a beard, because I saw his picture.

Worst advice, not sure. "Get a running start, you can make it!"

LOL

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Administrators

Quote:
"Unsolicited advice is abuse!"

It often is.

By the way, I have something that I would like to say to you.

:):):)

See what I mean.

Point well made. Thank you Gregory

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Members
Please indicate verses that describe the length of Moses' hair. I KNOW he had a beard, because I saw his picture.
Good point olger, but at the same time we could ask, where does the Bible say they ever got hair cuts??

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Originally Posted By: olger
Good point olger, but at the same time we could ask, where does the Bible say they ever got hair cuts??

Well, Judges records one certain haircut...it didn't go well for the one receiving it... adoh

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted By: olger

God calls for a distinction between the sexes.

"Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering."

Samson was an exception to this, the Bible clearly states that he was subject to a special vow called the Nazarite Vow (Numbers 6:3-6; Judges 13:5).

“A woman shall not wear a man's garment, nor shall a man put on a woman's cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God (Deuteronomy 22:5).

Rejoice always,

`G

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

I can't decide which piece of advice is worse:

"If you keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results, that's insanity";

or,

"If at first you don't succedd try again."

They are certainly at odds with one another.

Another piece of bad advice -

"Sure you can perfectly keep God's law - just try a little harder!"

• Members

Another piece of bad advice -

"Sure you can perfectly keep God's law - just try a little harder!"

thumbsup

phkrause