ClubAdventist is back!

Pagan holidays in our church:

rev184

Easter, Thanksgiving , Holloween, Christmas and do I dare say birthdays. Why do we see paganism and or Catholicism in the Body? Is our Creator Christ the head of such things?

comeout ofher mypeople Rev18:4

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gregory Matthews

• rev184

• Kevin H

• M. T. Cross

• Administrators

we do not become a follower of Christ by rigidly controlling our participation in our culture.

this sounds like a do it yourselfer.

in this path the focus is entirely on ourselves and what we are doing

rather then focusing on who Jesus is to us, and what he has done in creating us, and what he did when he came into the world, and what he is doing for us right now.

we are to look away from ourselves and look to Jesus and be saved, and to keep looking, and keep being saved.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

Awesome change the meaning and its ok . Well makes me feel a little better about the money spent on the turkey. Makes me think that Sunday the way its upheld today doesn't make it the venerable day of the Sun. But the day Christ rose.

• Administrators

agreed,

Halloween has become another commercial venture like Christmas.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

Have you researched them? Is it not how the Roman catholic church tried to bring in the pagans by changing the meaning of those pagan days and instead of bringing in the pagans they brought in paganism?

I can put on a mask but it does not change who I am.

Acts 7

41 And they made a calf in those days, offered sacrifices to the idol, and rejoiced in the works of their own hands. 42 Then God turned and gave them up to worship the host of heaven, as it is written in the book of the Prophets:‘Did you offer Me slaughtered animals and sacrifices during forty years in the wilderness,O house of Israel?43 You also took up the tabernacle of Moloch,And the star of your god Remphan,Images which you made to worship;And I will carry you away beyond Babylon.’[m]

• Administrators

Have you researched them? Is it not how the Roman catholic church tried to bring in the pagans by changing the meaning of those pagan days and instead of bringing in the pagans they brought in paganism?

I am reading one account of the history of the church currently and am just past Constantine.

It wasn't that he brought paganism into the church. He honoured both religions, Christianity and sun-worship (his god of choice was Apollo) and instituted his state laws to include Christianity in order to keep the popular support of himself as emperor.

His mother Helena went around on her personal pilgrimage. AT Jones tells the story of how she located what she thought was Christ's burial place and founded the "Church of the Holy Sepulcher." The story is that she found 3 crosses inside the tomb and to ascertain which one was the one Jesus was crucified on they put each cross on a certain dying person. When the dying person rose up cured then they knew which was the one that held our Lord.

The story gets stranger... Helena returns to Constantine with nails from that cross. Constantine erects for himself a statue of Apollo, ordering the head to be removed and putting a stone likeness of his own head on top of the torso. In a crown on that head he puts the nails that His mother had given him so that they had the appearance of the rays of the sun.

Though he had the name of Christian, he did not shake off the superstitious nature of his pagan beliefs. And because the religion of the day permeated all aspects of a Roman's life, many of the converts to Christianity did not shake off all of their old beliefs.

The Christians were indeed largely nominal at this point, for persecution has the effect of scattering those weak of heart or establishing the true ones and growing the church through their witness.

Eusebius writes glowingly of Constantine but Jones does not. He describes how the bishops of the church had become politically-minded. There was schism between those of Rome and they who lived in Africa.

My opinion is that they were already struggling theologically by this time, or if they still believed in the truth they fell in their practise.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

I thought that Thanksgiving Day was instituted by the Pilgrims and was in thankfulness to God?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Other than Halloween none of those are pagan holidays. Even Halloween as we now celebrate it is not a pagan holiday.
\\

thumbsup

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Administrators

Why do we see paganism and or Catholicism in the Body?

Only if your looking for it,,, otherwise, not an issue.

:like:

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Administrators

Hopefully believers will be led by their conscience, like with anything.

Maybe we should be more liberal. Mark 7:19 New American Standard Bible 19because it does not go into his heart, but into his stomach, and is eliminated?" (Thus He declared all foods clean.)

• Administrators

Is that for you to decide what is in a person's conscience?

Which is better, to present to others the errors one sees on an earthly level, or to witness of the character of God?

witness of the character of God. Is not the law also the character. No other Gods. Jeremiah 10:1-5

King James Version (KJV) Jer.10 Hear ye the word which the Lordspeaketh unto you, O house of Israel:2 Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen.

• Members

Excellent points Gail

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members
I thought that Thanksgiving Day was instituted by the Pilgrims and was in thankfulness to God?
It was and is.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Sincere,,, thats a tricky word.

Of course most (dare I say all,,,hmmm, maybe not) in the Sunday keeping Churches are deceived, but many are also sincere. God knows His sheep, which are not always of this fold.

There are also those who are sincerely mistaken, to a lesser or greater degree. Some sincerely mistaken have killed Christians thinking they are doing Gods work. As will be the case again in the future. Some celebrate the Holidays with a thankful heart and a spirit of glorifying God, may they be blessed, sincerely mistaken though they may be.

William Miller was sincerely mistaken and yet he will be in the Kingdom. God laid him to rest to protect him from being overcome by other sincerely mistaken people. And those who deceived Father Miller will have to answer for their sin!

Sincerity and conscience. These are not wise methods of deducing truth. Fanatics as well as nominal Christians can be deeply sincere. As only God can read the heart, we need to exercise great caution in our own estimation of who is and who isn't sincere or sincerely mistaken and what, if anything, we should do about it.

• Members

Tell it like it is dgrimm thumbsup

phkrause

• Administrators

Yeah! thumbsup

• Members

"Halloween" was began as a part of a CHRISTIAN (Catholic) holiday. It was All Hallow's Eve, i.e., the night before All Hallows' Day which commemorated the saints. When All Hallows' Day was changed from the summer to November 1 (I believe that was done before the year 1000), it meant that All Hallows' Eve fell on the pagan high Sabbat of Samhain.

**shrugs**

So, most pagans will still celebrate Samhain. But I don't know of any Christian who "celebrates" Halloween. In a way, to invoke fear each year of October 31 as Halloween seems sort of silly. OTOH, I still get a bit queasy when Samhain rolls around..

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Dont get me wrong some of my fonder memories are of these days even my "birthday" but the reasons are unfortunately not but the gratefulness to do with my precious Lord and Savior, Creator ,The Christ. As Ellen White says in The Adventist Home chapter 77 the sin lay in the motive and reason, but also: In His wisdom the Lord concealed the place where He buried Moses. God buried him, and God resurrected him and took him to heaven. This secrecy was to prevent idolatry. He against whom they rebelled while he was in active service, whom they provoked almost beyond human endurance, was almost worshiped as God after his separation from them by death. For the very same purpose He has concealed the precise day of Christ’s birth, that the day should not receive the honor that should be given to Christ as the Redeemer of the world—one to be received, to be trusted, to be relied on as He who could save to the uttermost all who come unto Him. The soul’s adoration should be given to Jesus as the Son of the infinite God.1The Review and Herald, December 9, 1884.

Jer.10:1 hear ye the word which the Lord speak unto you O house of Israel. 2 Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not .

If I may go out on a limb here. If their be typeolgies and the judgment starts at the house of God . What reformation need their be, what atrocities to sigh over, or what need of prayer to be of one accord to receive the later rain and blessings He wishes to bestow upon all His children the remnant which is like unto a roll, the first to go on and the last to come off, a like unto the early rain? what need do we have of these worldly holidays (holy-days) ??? Is not the the harlotry and wine of such things if their be such a bad taste?

Halloween does have some roots in Samhain. Christmas and Easter, though celebrated at a similar time of year as some Pagan holidays are NOT pagan holidays, nor do they have their roots in Pagan holidays.If one takes the time to do a bit of research on the matter, you will find that there were holidays and religious rituals in all religions around these dates.Some of which were Jewish celebrations.

As Christianity was spread with the tip of a spear and edge of a sword, cultural traditions of cultures forced into Christianity were indeed incorporated. It was the only way to keep cultural and religious traditions alive without being called out as a blasphemer or heretic.

Thanksgiving however is a North American cultural holiday with two different histories depending on whether you live in the States or in Canada.

I think the celebration of birthdays is more of simply a human thing as opposed to being a religious thing of any kind.

I find it amazing when you have Christians that simply look and seek out the sin in everything...... they should get together with their pagan counterparts that like to moan about how Christians stole everything. Ya'll could have a merrily miserable time together.