ClubAdventist is back!

Why are those Danes so happy?

Tom Wetmore

• Administrators

Denmark ranked happiest country. Worth considering why -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/22/denmark-happiest-country_n_4070761.html

Of course it does depend on who is doing the asking apparently -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/28/worlds-happiest-countries-2013-australia_n_3347347.html

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

I don't know... ask Stan!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators
The article is misleading in at least one piece of information. It is claimed that child care is free. Maybe so, but it is paid for by high taxes. The poorest Danes who make E13,400 pay E3000 in taxes; that's 22.3% rate. The Danes who make E268,000.00 pay 51%.

• Members

And they seem to be happy about that! Never complaining.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Quote:
During the last election in September 2011, for example, 87.7 percent

of the country voted.

Danes

Wow!!

In Australia's last election (September 2013) 100% of the country voted!

(Of course, it is compulsory here... bwink )

Graeme

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Moderators

The article is misleading in at least one piece of information. It is claimed that child care is free. Maybe so, but it is paid for by high taxes. The poorest Danes who make E13,400 pay E3000 in taxes; that's 22.3% rate. The Danes who make E268,000.00 pay 51%.

Which seems to go to show that high taxes to pay for good public services *doesn't* lead to unhappiness. Whoda thunk?!

Truth is important

• Members
Which seems to go to show that high taxes to pay for good public services *doesn't* lead to unhappiness. Whoda thunk?!
thumbsup

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

(Of course, it is compulsory here... bwink )

100% is good and compulsory is very good. How is it enforced?

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: Gerry Cabalo

Americans thunk it. Americans have been UNHAPPY with taxes ever since severing their ties with Britain over the issue of taxes.

100% is good and compulsory is very good. How is it enforced?

You get fined if you don't vote.

They have electoral rolls at all polling booths and you get your name marked off. Then they correlate the rolls from all the booths within your electorate.

I neglected to vote in a local government election and copped a $55 fine. adoh

Graeme

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Administrators

Interesting. It would make you aware of election day. Thanks for the info

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Hmmmm, there for a moment I thought their happiness consideration might be related to the legal and open use of cannabis. Turns out that is another country, it's illegal in Denmark.

Well, I'm at a loss to explain this, perhaps it IS related to those high taxes after all! :)

• Moderators
If our taxes were not squandered in protecting the happy Danes and Norwegians and Swedes and the rest of Europe and the world from the "axis of evil", we'd have more than enough for "free" childcare and "free" healthcare.

Americans thunk it. Americans have been UNHAPPY with taxes ever since severing their ties with Britain over the issue of taxes.

The irony is that pre-1775 the American colonies were taxed less than Britain proper, and after independence the new USA imposed taxes not only higher than the British taxes the colonists revolted against, but far higher than the taxes paid in what remained of British North America (present day Canada).

God never said "Thou shalt not think".

• Moderators

If our taxes were not squandered in protecting the happy Danes and Norwegians and Swedes and the rest of Europe and the world from the "axis of evil", we'd have more than enough for "free" childcare and "free" healthcare.

Hmmmmm,

Since you mention squandering money...

One F35 fighter jet costs $90m, yes, ninety million dollars! The plan is to build about 2500. America has decided that having the largest military is a greater priority than having a health care system that is free at the point of access. I'm wondering if Europeans have realized as a result of two world wars on their "soil" that happiness is least likely to come from the barrel of the gun.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators
The problem is that in this world, in having free medical & child care without a strong military, we will soon have neither.

• Moderators

A strong military is not the same as having the largest and most expensive.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

A strong military is not the same as having the largest and most expensive.

Ours is not the largest in terms of manpower, but it is certainly the most expensive, precisely because we have taken it upon ourselves to be the guardian of democracy and the world's policeman.

• Moderators

Which countries have invaded other countries in this century? I can only think of one...

Truth is important

• Moderators

precisely because we have taken it upon ourselves to be the guardian of democracy and the world's policeman.

Guardian of Democracy? Surely you can't really believe that. Sadly, the opposite too often has been true.

The Central Intelligence Agency was behind the overthrow of Iranian Prime Minister Mohammad Mossadegh in 1953. It's been an open secret for decades, but last week, The George Washington University's National Security Archive released newly declassified proving it.

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/01/217976304/declassified-documents-reveal-cia-role-in-1953-iranian-coup

But I think we're getting off topic here.

Einstein

Which countries have invaded other countries in this century? I can only think of one...

Why such a short time line? Why not "in the last 100 years"? Then you have a lot of countrys invading other countries....but to limit it to "this century" we have only the last 13 years....Even the last 20th century did not have many countries invading other countries [during it's first 13 years]....give it a 100 years for thing to foment.... [smile]

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: Gerry Cabalo
precisely because we have taken it upon ourselves to be the guardian of democracy and the world's policeman.

Guardian of Democracy? Surely you can't really believe that. Sadly, the opposite too often has been true.

Notice, I said, "We have taken it upon ourselves to be the guardian of democracy...."

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: Bravus

Why such a short time line? Why not "in the last 100 years"? Then you have a lot of countrys invading other countries....but to limit it to "this century" we have only the last 13 years....Even the last 20th century did not have many countries invading other countries [during it's first 13 years]....give it a 100 years for thing to foment.... [smile]

The USA invaded Cuber, I mean Cuba :), the Philippines, and took over Indian lands even after treaties were signed, interfered in how many banana republics?

Notice, I said, "We have taken it upon ourselves to be the guardian of democracy...."

To hold this view shows a devaluing of keeping up with current events, the ability of political powers to change those policys and an elevating of mythical views that have no such benefits to current discussion. It also undermines our understanding of current prophecy....and our understanding what God is doing to bring about our global redemption....

I'm just saying.....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw