ClubAdventist is back!

New Book On EGW

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

Ellen White: American Prophet will be published in 2014 by the Oxford University Press.

Some 60 people have been involved in its preparation, which has been actively in progress since 2007.

The majority of the authors are Adventist scholars who have taught in Adventist schools. Some have never previously had any connection with the SDA Church.

Gregory

Personally, I'm very leering of "compilations" of EGW books and articles. They usually reflect the particular bias or agenda of the author and I don't want that! Let me read original EGW and the Bible for myself and I can decide what is going to take me closer to God. I've felt confused and led astray by some books that only use EGW quotes that favor the author's off-balance bias!

I've heard people say that before about compilations. It is literally a "personal problem", not the problem with the book. We hear individual bible verses or selected bible verses in a sermon, talk, book all the time. Is the Pastor bias if he brings together verses only from those books of the bible he prefers? Of course not, he is simply putting together a select number of verses on a given subject. Some Pastors are better at that than others, but you don't fire the guy because you didn't care for his particular selection of verses, or quotes! It's not complicated...

Compilations bring together a number of quotes on a given subject into one place, which is one method of studying the bible.

• Moderators

Well, I must have failed to communicate. The book that I cited is not a compilation. Oxford University would have no interest in publishing a compilation of EGW. It is an encyclopedia. There is a big difference between an encyclopedia and a compilation.

Oxford University is publishing the book because EGW was a powerful influence on the development of religion in the United States. The historians who participated in writing the book believe that the life and work of EGW is of historical value and should be known by historians.

I can only attribute the responses to my failure to properly communicate.

This book, as I understand it, will make her life and work better available to the public as well as SDAs who appreciate the work that she did.

Gregory