ClubAdventist is back!

The General Conference

M. T. Cross

• Members

The General Conference is overseen by an executive committee, headed by a President. The General Conference Session is a meeting held every five years, during which the executive committee and officers are elected by the use of nominating committees.[The most recent General Conference was held in Atlanta, Georgia, United States in 2010 and the next General Conference (the 60th) will be held in San Antonio, Texas, in July 2015.

(above is from wiki)

There's probably going to be a big festive doodah in 2015 since it will be the 60th GC....

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

The nominating committee in a local Church is suggested by the members of the Church as a whole. In both my local Churches that has been done by people writing down names of who they would like to see on the nominating committee. Those with the most names, get the job. The tricky part is, those who are on the nominating committee cannot be nominated for any positions in question! Being ON the nominating committee makes you ineligable for office.

Don't know how it works at the G.C. level. I would like to know HOW the G.C. will appoint some 200 plus VOTING representatives for the W.O. issue. Of the 2,000 plus voting members, 200 plus are hand picked by somebody and do not represent any particular Division. This 200 bunch will be the "wild card" in determining the outcome of this crucial vote, in my opinion. Because the Divisions are SO evenly split on YES and NO. By default, the G.C. itself may likely be the deciding factor! Like the Vice President breaking a tie vote in Congress.

• 1 month later...

It seems what you are looking for is the SDA Church Constitution CONSTITUTION OF THE

GENERAL CONFERENCE OF SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTISTS. It is located here. Article V (page 14) addresses the delegate selection, if that is what you're looking for. But at the least that document probably has the answer to what I am unable to exactly ascertain you to be asking because your question is not specific enough.

• Moderators

M. T. Cross: I shall attempt to make a simple statement as to how the delegates to the General Conference are selected of what is a bit complicated.

The delegates to the General Conference are divided into two (2) groups:

1) Regular delegates: These are people who are appointed by the Executive Committees of the Division, Union & Local Conferences/Missions.

2) Delegates at Large: These are generally persons who hold specific positions within the SDA Church. E.G. The person who is the President of a Union Conference/Mission is a delegate at large.

NOTE: There may be Constitutional/Policy requirements as to the number and type of delegates--gender, youth, retires, employees, non-employees, etc.

Gregory

• Administrators

Who is the nominating committee made up of and how are they chosen?

The answer to that question is found in Article II, Section 4, of the General Conference Bylaws. The Bylaws are the second part of the document to which Unity provided a link. Each of the Divisions caucus at the beginning to designate their delegates that will sit on the nominating committee. The nominating committee is the most influential committee at the Session and works long hours during the Session to nominate those to be elected by the Session.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)