ClubAdventist is back!

Trimming our Lamps in Parable

thx4mercy

What does "trimming our lamps" mean for us today? What, specifically, will we be doing?

I would like to suggest Matthew 25 as the best description indicating, where it speaks of the wise taking enough oil, which refers to the Holy Spirit. Then it would seem to me, that trimming the lamp would be removing the accumulation of that which hinders the wick from illuminating with full light, referring to the disciple laying aside anything that would hinder the fulness of the Holy Spirit's influence and control in the life of the individual desiring to give Him full control over the light shining from the individual's life.

God cares! Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

removing the accumulation of that which hinders the wick from illuminating with full light

I like your description here! After hearing a sermon the other day, I was thinking along the lines of it meaning making more of a conscious effort to live a holy life. But in a way, I think the way you have described it is basically the same thing, wouldn't you say?

Try giving a specific example of your words above.

Quote:
Try giving a specific example of your words above.

This below, of course, is not meant for hard and fast rules for anyone who chooses differently. I have just found God's grace more irrefutably effective when I claim His promises while making effort to walk where I know He wants me to, even though as so often has happened to me as to the early believers, His corrections have not ceased to be necessary, praise Him for His faithfulness.

When I was younger in the faith I just thought doing good works in the name of God, was what made a disciple. Later, after learning that the body (literally) is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and He is the One Who guides us into all Truth, I just logically concluded if my mind were kept clearer from healthier living, leaving off some thing, perhaps adding others, the Holy Spirit would be able to keep in touch with me better as a result.

While it is true God can do the impossible, it is also true He wants us to cooperate with Him in the work of our salvation (deliverance), not only for our immediate benefit but also to reflect to others a relationship for the well being that accrues to those observing the blessings God is willing to give to those who pay attention to His instructions.

Subsequently this led to a healthier lifestyle that has been obvious when claiming health promises found in God's dealing with His enemies and His children in the OT.

"It was there at Marah that the Lord set before them the following decree as a standard to test their faithfulness to him. He said, “If you will listen carefully to the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in his sight, obeying his commands and keeping all his decrees, then I will not make you suffer any of the diseases I sent on the Egyptians; for I am the Lord who heals you.”"

Exodus 15:25-27 NLT

"Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers."

3 John 1:2 NKJV

God cares!Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

My pleasure.

Jesus told His disciples that He would no longer call them slaves or servants, but friends, and I took that to heart, especially when Jesus also says to know Him is a primary prerequisite to entering the Kingdom. Makes service to and for Him so much easier when one knows Him as best Friend.

May His richest blessings attend you.

BTW, I'm a former Washingtonian, first 3rd of my life. What area if I may ask? If you don't wish to make it public knowledge just send me a PM on CA. Or not.

Lift Jesus up!!

LifeHiscost, your PM box is full, I guess. But I live in the Seattle area. Do you know anyone in this area?

I have a daughter living in, I think Bellevue. She's a jewel, a good practicing Christian, married to a police officer who has been on the force for somewhere about 30 years. I'm asking for God to deliver her and her husband to the Kingdom. If you share with me that request, we have a promise we can claim for their safe deliverance. We know it's Gods' will.

"`Again, I say to you, that, if two of you may agree on the earth concerning anything, whatever they may ask -- it shall be done to them from my Father who is in the heavens,"Matthew 18:19 YLT

God Cares! Jesus Saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

LifeHiscost, since it seems that nobody else had an interest in the original subject of this thread, guess we can just talk about whatever!

I am very familiar with the Bellevue SDA church, but I take it that your daughter is not an SDA. I sent my prayer up to go with yours, and I definitely agree with you that the request is in God's will.

Not real sure how I think about that verse you quoted and how far we can go with it, when it involves somebody else's power of choice. But we do know that our prayers allow God to work in a way that he couldn't otherwise (a good EGW quote for that somewhere!).

I also believe that a good, honest, sincere Christian in another faith will eventually come over to the full truth, even if it's just at the very last.

You don't know any others in this area?

Quote:

I also believe that a good, honest, sincere Christian in another faith will eventually come over to the full truth, even if it's just at the very last.

I'm suggesting that you and I are trimming our lamps while getting to know each other. I could be out smoking and drinking now instead of discussing family connections.

Nope, nobody else in that area. I had an opportunity some 45 or so years ago, to take a job down in Seattle proper, that would have advanced my income somewhere around 3 fold but I took Ellen White's advice and instead of settling, moved to the country where I eventually met my present wife and we've been happy together ever since, more and more seeing this world as not our home.

"For our citizenship is in the heavens, whence also a Saviour we await -- the Lord Jesus Christ --"

Philippians 3:20 YLT

Lift Jesus up!!