ClubAdventist is back!

Cheney/Bush Support USA Torturing People

bevin

Is anyone interested in what Rush Limbaugh thinks? I mean, if we are going to use extreame sources to base our opinions we may as well check his opinion out.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bravus

• Dr. Shane

• Gregory Matthews

• there buster

Here is news from China:

US bans torture in questioning

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

The U.S. Defense Department has issued a broad policy directive prohibiting physical or mental torture during military interrogations, a spokesman said Tuesday, amid controversy over the treatment of detainees from Afghanistan and Iraq.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

Here is a decent article that doesn't seem extreame.

Use of torture hurts U.S.

So what is the leader of the free world to do? Well, I have a suggestion that might improve Bush's image abroad. It would actually help Bush at home as well, and it has the additional virtue of being the right thing to do. It's simple: End the administration's disastrous experiment with officially sanctioned torture.

That article is a few days old. It seems the Administration has taken this advice.

Bush Says US Does Not Engage in Torture

The Senate recently passed legislation banning the use of cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment. The White House has opposed the measure, and is said to be seeking an exemption for CIA interrogators...

"And I am confident that when people see the facts that they will recognize that we have got more work to do, and we must protect ourselves in a way that is lawful," he said.

Instead of Democrats making a strawman out of pre-war intelligence. They would make more political hay looking into POW abuse.

• Moderators

No-one seems to have informed Cheney - he's still fighting tooth and nail to allow the CIA to torture - or Bush - he's still threatening to veto McCain's anti-torture bill.

Truth is important

• Moderators

Did you read the article at that Salon link, Shane? I agree, Salon is usally pretty extremely to the left, but that article was by a human rights lawyer who has spent his career representing victims of torture in countries like Chile. It's not a partisan article, just a very good one.

Truth is important

Did you read the article at that Salon link, Shane?

I only read what I could for free. Rush Limbaugh has articles about torture too but one needs to be a subscriber to read them so I can't read them either.

I don't doubt the Administration's motives. Perhaps I am willfully nieve but with all the attention this has gotten over the past couple of years, I don't think I am. I think the Administration is going along with the advise of the CIA, joint cheif of staff, state department, etc.

I think an environment has existed that has allowed minor forms of torture. I do not believe it is the invention of the Administration. I believe the CIA has been doing this as long as they have been in existance. I believe these minor forms of torture have gotten out of hand from time to time. The line, it seems that the government wants to walk, is like trying to keep a pet tiger in your house. It simply can't be done. Unlike many, I don't see it as a partisan issue. If a Democrat was in the White House the CIA would still be pushing for their "torture" and the Republican hacks like Hannity and Coulter would be criticising them for it.

I mean, does anyone believe that the CIA never tortured people until the Bush crowd showed up? That seems kind of nieve. We haven't had a major war since Vietnaum. Does anyone know what kind of torture went on there? US troops would take vietanamesse up in helicopters and to get them to talk they would throw them out one by one. They burned villages and shot civilians. If the truth be told, I would be surprised if there has been more torturing of the enemy take place in this war than previous ones.

• Moderators

I agree over all. I think the difference is that this administration has a number of times tried to make it a matter of official policy. As far as I know that is new.

Truth is important