ClubAdventist is back!

soul surgery by the blind

rudywoofs (Pam)

• Members

"When folks start thinking they have the blessing of the Lord to point out the faults of others, it makes them start to feeling right powerful... they forget about that log in their own eyes, and try to do surgery on souls whilst blind."

I'm sure some will disagree with that quote. It was said over 120 years ago by my great grandfather (physician and Methodist circuit rider) to some of his parishioners who were condemning his work with the Yakama Indians on the reservation.

People experience enough hate and condemnation from others without the general Christian populace feeling like they have the corner market on "rebuking" others. Does "Westboro Baptist" bring anything to mind?

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I was thinking kind of this thing reading another thread where there is a lot of talk about rebuking others for their "sins".

Thing is, as soon as you start pointing out and rebuking someone for their wrong doings, they can start pointing out yours and it will just be an endless circle.

• Moderators

There is a way to rebuke. Choice Theory and Aesthetic Realism (although since Mr. Siegel died they have gone overboard and have driven a lot of people away) are both based on criticizing "External Control Psychology" and "Contempt" in our lives. Jack Canfield's "The Success principles" are a more positive approach but still criticizes that which encourages failure and pain in our lives.

People want to be happier and have guidance. When I was in elementary school the teachers tended to hand out homework as punishment. I wish they were rebuked and did not just teach their class but that they gave some time to teach us how to study. I wish that students, especially in the 7th grade would have a class to learn about Choice Theory and contempt with a responsible use of Aesthetic Realism and the success principles. These can teach us about the two types of happiness in our life. That based on respect and fairness and that based on contempt and external control psychology and selfishness.

The problem is we 1.) wait until the horse gets out of the barn then criticize the situation. For example; I believe that there was a huge difference between criticizing alcoholics before and after A. A. was developed and even since A. A. has it's faults it at least gives an attempt and something that we can build on into other programs. But the person suffering with alcohol dependency before A. A. who is going to church and praying but not getting a victory and thus scorned by others is in a different boat from someone who just does not care about wanting to change. But we treated them the same.

2.) Sometimes we rebuke things that we believe are sins but not necessary. Sometimes these are good and wise ideas about a danger zone but instead of teaching discernment and caution we just give a blanket statement of "Don't do any of it." What about how we and other churches condemn each other over points of doctrine such as Sabbath and Sunday? And have you any idea how much we have been influenced by some thinkers of the past so that their views so color our reading of the Bible that when we read the words of Paul or other Bible writers we are actually thinking the interpretation of St. Augustine, Luther, Washburn and Wilkinson and do not even realize it? And if Augustine or Wilkinson says that the Bible or Mrs. White in this passage says something is a sin, we honestly believe that is what the passage says even if that is not what the Bible or Mrs. White had in mind.

• Members

Quote:
re·buke

riˈbyo͞ok

verb

express sharp disapproval or criticism of (someone) because of their behavior or actions.

"she had rebuked him for drinking too much"

synonyms: reprimand, reproach, scold, admonish, reprove, chastise, upbraid, berate, take to task, criticize, censure; More

antonyms: praise

noun: rebuke; plural noun: rebukes

an expression of sharp disapproval or criticism.

"he hadn't meant it as a rebuke, but Neil flinched"

synonyms: reprimand, reproach, reproof, scolding, admonishment, admonition, upbraiding, finger-wagging

I don't think anyone has an issue with speaking up against something that is a universal wrong (such as murder or child abuse). There's not even anything wrong with speaking up about issues one feels strongly about.

There's also something to be said for speaking up when you see someone doing something that might hurt or kill them. (One wouldn't let a friend drink poison, even if they insisted that it was good for them.) Sometimes we know things that others don't.

However, there's a big difference between a "rebuke" as criticism/chastisement/censure and showing someone what one feels is a better way.

Frankly, if someone had started "rebuking" me when I was a witch, it wouldn't have brought me to God. Indeed, it would have pushed me further away. Who wants to be around someone who harangues you about your life?!

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?