ClubAdventist is back!

What kind of an Adventist are you?

Gregory Matthews

• Members

interesting...

on several of the choices, I could have picked more than one, so, adding the scores twice and averaging them, put me on the cusp of "moderate/moderately liberal" ...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

yes the questions were so slanted that did not seem to be able to produce any accurate evaluation.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Administrators

I agree that the choices are poorly crafted. Few, if any of the categories have a choice that accurately reflects my own views of EGW. In addition to what several of observed about essentially falling somewhere in between choices, I found myself agreeing with a part of different choices that were at quite different positions on the spectrum. And very often because multiple points conveyed in a single choice, I find myself agreeing with one part but not another.

Another technical flaw of the test is that ones self perception plays a part since the answer positions are obvious and ranked in order. To be valid, there would need to be a randomized element to the choices and a way to do the test without knowing in advance what the objective and criteria is - a blind test if you will.

I am troubled with the basic premise that ones view of EGW can determine what kind of Adventist one is. I simply do not believe that there is a consistent and reliable correraltion that essentially says that those that are strongly EGW supporters are more conservative Adventists, and those who have doubts, questions or outright reject her are on the opposite extreme of Adventism. And then there is the whole subjective and relativistic element of and inadequacy of the conservative vs. liberal comparison.

As for where I came out on this flawed test, I suspect that some of those with whom I have disagreed with the most around here will be shocked to learn that I am a moderate Adventist according to this. And perhaps if one could correct for the design flaws, I might actually be more toward the conservative end with regard to my perspective of EGW. I tended to find myself more likely to be in at least partial agreement with the choices toward the conservative end and totally in disagreement with more choices toward the liberal end.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

All of the above .... some times

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

The questions had no answer that would be chosen by people who diligently test each of EGW's writings with the Scriptures.

That's rather strange, considering that SDA Fundamental Belief #18 (which deals with the ministry and writings of EGW) specifically states that "the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested."

Why is it that SDA's are not taught how to test the writings of EGW by Scripture, and how can those who don't test her writings be considered "conservative" by any measure?

• Members
Why is it that SDA's are not taught how to test the writings of EGW by Scripture, and how can those who don't test her writings be considered "conservative" by any measure?
In all my years as an Adventist, I was always taught to test her and anyone else, which would include any minister, preacher, etc., to the Scripture's. Just because some like to throw her in your face, when it suits them, or to a point they are trying to make!! Doesn't mean that they were never taught that, just means they like to take her out of context.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

I prefer not to label people. I find it hard enough to label myself.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

If I am to be labled, I prefer to be called a Seventh-day Adventist. You

can find 'adventists' in about every church out there.

Harold.

HaroldT