ClubAdventist is back!

The One Project & Meet It

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

Writing in post # 691459, in another section of this forum, retired SDA pastor and author, Elder Rick Howerd posted:

Quote:
You can purchase "The Omega Rebellion" new, from Remnant Publishing for $13.99. If you are interested in this topic, I have a new book coming out in a couple of weeks that exposes the working of the Emerging Church in the Seventh-day Adventist Church through a popular new movement called The One Project. The name of the book is "Meet It" and can also be purchased through Remnant.

God Bless

Rick Howard

It would not be fair for me to comment on a book that I have not read. I can't have read it yet, as it has not come off of the press, as I understand it. But, I have some general questions, that Elder Howard may have answered in this book.

I wonder how many of the critics of THE ONE PROJECT have read the recently published book about it by the people involved in it:

Nathan Brown & Alex Bryan & Japhet De Oliveira, editors, FOR THE ONE: VOICES FROM THE ONE PROJECT. Signs Publishing, Australia, 2014, 183 pages.

I wonder how many of the critics have read any of the long published material from those involved in this? I wonder how many of them have had a face to face talk with Elder De Oliveira about what he is doing in The One Project? I wonder how many of the critics have ever attended one of their meetings?

From my reading of past critics, I have found that all to often they have done none of the above. As a result, they have often mis-stated their case, and at times borne false witness.

No. I cannot say any of the above about this new book by Elder Howard because I have not yet been able to read it as it has not come off of the press.

Here is what Elder De Oliveria says about the purpose of The One Project:

Quote:
Our mantra is 'Jesus. All.' and our mission is to 'celebrate the supremacy of Jesus within the Seventh-day Adventist Church'"

The above was taken from page 3 of FOR THE ONE: . . . as cited above.

The critics need to deal with that and not ignore it.

Gregory

• Administrators
:like:

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Moderators

I have informed Elder De Oliveria of this soon to be published book. He has informed me that Elder Howarad has not been in contact with him. He was aware of this soon to be published book and tells me that to his knowledge, Elder Howard has not been in contact with any of the other leaders of The One Project.

This raises a question to me: How is it that one could think to write a book evaluating something like The One Project and not spend time with its leaders? I do not see this a good scholarship at all.

I happen to have a close relationship with Japhet De Oliveria. The first time that I met him, I began the conversation by telling him what his critics were saying about him. He simply listened to what I had to say. He heard me out. When I was finished, he responded. I have his cell phone number and an e-mail address for him.

He is a unique person. I was sitting in an audience once when he was preaching. During his sermon, I sent him a text message. He immediately responded to my message in his sermon!

I got a response to my e-mail message about Howard's pending book within 24 hours.

I can say with confidence: If Elder Howard has wanted to sit face to face with Elder De Oliveria and discuss issues and questions, Japhet would have met with him.

Gregory

• Administrators

I have just begun reading "For The One: Voices From the One Project". When I finish I will be happy to give my impressions of it.

Regarding Howard's book - To be critical of an organization or movement with the singular focus on Jesus... Hmmmm..... What or who is the motivation to try to turn people away from that?

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Members

and the book is available for $9.99 as a download to a Kindle at amazon.com HERE

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

And with Amazon Prime, Kindle owners can borrow it for free.

That was my choice...

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

I should look into Amazon Prime...

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

yep, I've got Amazon Prime.. love it!!!

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

I just finished reading the book from the One Project, For The One. Overall I found it to be an engaging and inspiring, and at times thought provoking. I did enjoy reading it. It is refreshing to experience the sustained and singular focus on the One in whom we place our trust and follow. The writing style of course varies since each chapter is written by a different author. Each was adapted from a spoken presentation made at the various gatherings of the One Project of the past 3 years. I did not find anything that was of concern, nor any evidence to support any of the criticism I have read of the One Project. I would recommend it and encourage others to see for themselves.

Quote:
There is no excuse for anyone in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. . . . As real spiritual life declines, it has ever been the tendency to cease to advance in the knowledge of the truth. Men rest satisfied with the light already received from God’s word, and discourage any further investigation of the Scriptures. They become conservative, and seek to avoid discussion.
CW 35.2 (Counsels to Writers and Editors)

Since becoming a Seventh Day Adventist, I've never felt inclined to read or believe the church manual or the 28 fundamental beliefs had anything in them that I would not find in the Holy Scriptures if I continued reading the Word. Other than having a number of the brethren over the years (about 45) get extremely angry with me when quoting Scripture they didn't appreciate,(so what's new, that seems to be the norm for those dedicated to the Master) I've never been asked to leave the body of believers. Not saying that couldn't happen some time in the future if I live long enough or history plays out faster than many are acting like it will.

The days in which we live are solemn and important. The Spirit of God is gradually but surely being withdrawn from the earth. Plagues and judgments are already falling upon the despisers of the grace of God. The calamities by land and sea, the unsettled state of society, the alarms of war, are portentous. They forecast approaching events of the greatest magnitude. The agencies of evil are combining their forces, and consolidating. They are strengthening for the last great crisis. Great changes are soon to take place in our world, and the final movements will be rapid ones.—Testimonies for the Church 9:11.{ChS 52.2}

God cares! Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!