ClubAdventist is back!

Colossians 2:20-23 Commentary..?

nickduplantis

Hey! I'm new to the forum, so I don't know exactly where to put this post, but I have a question. Does any one know of any good SDA commentary on Colossians 2:20-23? If any of you have any explanation of these verses it would be great too! Here are my thoughts on it so far:

•The Judiazers were adding man made doctrines and rules so that the Gentiles would be over burdened by the yolk of legalism

•Paul is talking about human traditions, not the Law of G-d, which is in no reference to the dietary laws

•Only the Holy Spirit can help one not indulge in the flesh, not refraining from certian things

Colossians 2:20-23 "Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using; after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh."

Thank you!

• Members

Hi Nick! Welcome to C/A!

I'm not a theologian by any stretch of the imagination, but the NIV puts the text in better light:

Colossians 2:20-23

New International Version (NIV)

20 Since you died with Christ to the elemental spiritual forces of this world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its rules: 21 “Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!”? 22 These rules, which have to do with things that are all destined to perish with use, are based on merely human commands and teachings. 23 Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

It appears that Paul was writing about dietary laws made by humans - not ones that were written by Moses having come from God. At least that's my "take" on it.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Members

Welcome Nick to C/A interesting thoughts and here's how the CJB interprets that passage:

20 If, along with the Messiah, you died to the elemental spirits of the world, then why, as if you still belonged to the world, are you letting yourselves be bothered by its rules? - 21 "Don't touch this!" "Don't eat that!" "Don't handle the other!" 22 Such prohibitions are concerned with things meant to perish by being used [not by being avoided!], and they are based on man-made rules and teachings.b 23 They do indeed have the outward appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed religious observances, false humility and asceticism; but they have no value at all in restraining people from indulging their old nature.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Moderators

Have you looked at: 7 SDABC pages 207 & 208?

That is brief, but it might be a start.

Gregory