ClubAdventist is back!

Your daughters shall prophecy

Tom Wetmore

• Administrators

For those who may have forgotten the history of the Adventist Church - http://www.auss.info/auss_publication_file.php?pub_id=1092&journal=1&type=pdf

It is clear that the founders of the Adventist Church were more progressive on women in ministry than some of our own people are now.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Moderators

A very interesting--and intelligently written--research paper.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Members

interesting article...

Just out of curiosity, I did research on one of the authors, "S. C. Welcome," who penned the 1860 article, "Shall the Women Keep Silence in the Churches?"

His name was Solomon C Welcome [sic]. He and his parents and siblings were from Maine and had gone to Wisconsin in the late 1840's, and lived in a sod house for awhile. By 1850, Solomon's brother, Michael, had become a minister in the First Day Adventist Church.

Solomon was a farmer, but also became a part time minister of the Seventh-day Adventist church. His brother, Michael, remained a First Day Adventist preacher. Solomon was married and had two sons.

One of Solomon's sons, George T Wellcome, also became an Adventist minister, moving to Brawley, California, still a minister - eventually becoming the city mayor. Of note, he was a member of the Brawley Masonic Lodge. (Burdette, Robert J., ed. American Biography and Genealogy: California Edition. Volumes I–II. Chicago, New York: The Lewis Publishing Company, [1912]. California State Library, Sacramento, California.)

Solomon's other son, Henry Solomon Wellcome, decided to travel to England around 1875, becoming interested in medicine. In 1880 he founded the pharmaceutical company of Burroughs Wellcome. Henry was also a Freemason. He married, then divorced, Syrie Barnardo, who then married British author and playwright, William Somerset Maugham. Henry Wellcome was knighted by King George V in 1932.

When Henry Wellcome died of pneumonia in 1936, his will designated that a trust be established, the Wellcome Trust, and has become the world’s largest charitable foundation devoted exclusively to the biomedical science research to benefit both humans and animals.

rather interesting... :)

(didn't mean to divert from the topic.... I just get involved in researching, and go nuts! )

• Like 2

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

Interesting article and our history. Thanks Pam for sharing your research.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Administrators

For those who may have forgotten the history of the Adventist Church - http://www.auss.info/auss_publication_file.php?pub_id=1092&journal=1&type=pdf

It is clear that the founders of the Adventist Church were more progressive on women in ministry than some of our own people are now.

And another article along the same lines from 1995 - https://www.ministrymagazine.org/archive/1995/04/the-rise-and-fall-of-adventist-women-in-leadership

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

Really in line with the EGW quote about not forgetting how the Lord has lead us in the past...

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The more I read of the early Adventist Church the more I am convinced we need to reclaim our Adventist roots on this very issue.  So many have forgotten or were never instructed about our history.  I have read and heard of numerous surprised reactions to much of the information about women serving in leadership and ministry in the early Adventist Church.  Many, if not most, of our current membership know little or nothing of our own history.

Maybe we should require a study in our history along with the baptismal indoctrination.