ClubAdventist is back!

What's wrong with a hug?

LifeHiscost

• Moderators

What is wrong with a hug? Plenty.

1) No one has a right to make the physical contact what involves a hug with another person, without permission. He should have been taught to ask.

2) Ask any woman who has been hugged: There are hugs that are obviously sexual and those that are not.

3) My personal philosophy: I never initiate a hug. If someone wants a hug, they initiate it. If I were to make an exception, I would ask: Would you like a hug?

4) Sexual harassment is defined in the context of what the person finds acceptable. "No" Means No. Being told "no" once ends the discussion. A second attempt may very well open up the potential of criminal prosecution. NOTE: This does not mean that one attempt is free.

5) The young man should have been taught by his mother how to relate to women. On the assumption that he had been told "no" once, I have to assume that he knew in his mind that he should not do it again.

Gregory

• Members

I believe we've discussed this topic before, but always good to go over stuff. In my humble opinion, I'm in agreement with Gregory. But I do believe there are times when we know its OK to hug others. Like when we know them, friends, family etc.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Administrators
thumbsup

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Where I come from, Yes means Yes. Nothing else means yes. And... No means No.

There really is not enough info in the article to pass much judgement. I agree that he ought not have hugged the teacher again. But she sounds a bit odd, too. Between her & the school they way overreacted, as well as reacting much too late. Semantically, sexual harassment covers a broad continuum. Legally speaking, sexual harassment automatically constitutes horrible things that can stick with a person's rep far longer than appropriate & applying that label needs be done carefully.

I still remember a RD article, years ago, about a man who discreetly peed in the bushes near a swimming pool, got caught by a cop & ended up jailed for a rape he didn't commit. All because his name & pic were in the system.

Pindoc

• Administrators

Based on the limited information and the he said/she said concerning previous issues, the punishment seems extreme.

• Administrators
thumbsupgrouphug

• Members

what strikes me most about the incident is that the student hugged the teacher from behind. NOT an acceptable way to hug someone who is only an acquaintance!!!

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?