ClubAdventist is back!

Christian Metal music.

Sojourner

Quote:
No, we are not all Christians here.

You tell em MT! I love it. Also love that you are here, my friend!

To echo a few other's views - I don't think these is such a thing as evil music; just evil lyrics. Like Greg Matthews said, there are songs that originally were about drinking and getting drunk whose melody is now that of some of our most beloved hymns. Since Christian rockers have stepped it up considerably over the past few years; I listen to a lot more Christian radio. Some of you out there know your Christian rock bands (e.g., Bravus). A couple others I like are Skillet, Toby Mac, Disciple, and Need to Breathe.

I wish Flyleaf had more music. I think they are amazing - especially their videos.

• Administrators

one of the points in the 1.5 hour lecture is that music without lyrics still evokes a "message," and examples were given of "scary" music, "relaxing" music, and "happy" music...

That's a fallacy, because reactions/evocations are culturally determined.

Take, for example, the "scary" music example, consisting of drums and percussion. In Africa and in Celtic countries, drums and percussion have various meanings, according to situations. They can be calls to war, or they can be hugely celebratory.

Then there's the "happy" music example, using higher pitched flutes, woodwinds and strings. Some people are very much adversely affected by those sounds, and find them annoying.

The "calming" music used lower pitched harmonics of strings and added piano and string trills. Granted, *that* particular combination has been shown to calm infants who've had little to no exposure to music, but in populations exposed to other types of culturally acceptable music, it may not have that affect.

My point is that lumping all music together and state it will evoke *specific messages* in all people is not correct.

I agree. Music is to a very significant degree language of emotion. But it is quite subjective. A tune may being a smile or tear or even agitation to the listener depending on their experience and history with that tune.

The point of the video is not conformed consistently across large samples. The usual comment is that modern music, such as rock or metal have a stimulating effect, noting it would,result in increased heart rate and more rapid breathing. I tested this on myself by monitor my vitals while listening to hard rock music at a considerable volume. No increase and in some some songs a slight slowing of heart rate and breathing. The most notable example that gets noted in my family is that I can be put to sleep listening to loud rock music, most notably falling asleep at an Opeth concert. Relaxing stuff that is!

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztz_i206HRE

personally I think just about everything can be distorted. And I don't think anyone says it better than George! He actually had a lot of spiritual insight, perhaps not the kind most of you would appreciate, but if you didn't know he that said it, you probably would agree with it.

Psalms19:12-14 Lord my saviour

• Members

Amen to that. It reminds me of a thread here on CA, that deals in half truths at best!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

Just FWIW, I'm pretty sure I didn't attack the content of the videos, just their length. I could enumerate all the things I'm busy doing that mean I don't have half a working day to sit down and watch videos, but I'm not sure there's much point.

If a band is praising God in their lyrics and yet the music allows the devil to get into the audience that is also praising God, that seems to paint God as considerably less powerful than the devil. I don't believe that.

Truth is important

• Administrators

And it also makes it sound like God is a tricky one that requires special incantations, rituals and procedures to gain access. If you don't perform the worship ritual to exact technical specifications, sing the tune correctly, wear the correct uniform, say the right password, know the secret handshake, or whatever, you lose.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

I agree. God looks at our hearts. If people are blessed by praises and worship set to heavy rock (or whatever other genre) music, they are blessed. God dwells with them; and where God dwells, satan cannot.

I would be surprised if God didn't like a little rock music every once and a while. He probably has a very diverse taste in music.