ClubAdventist is back!

Sympathy for Putin

lazarus

• Moderators

I can understand why Putin wants to make sure that the Ukraine doesn't fall under greater western influence. Anyone remember the Munroe doctrine?

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• 3 months later...

Here is an interesting article, even if from a controversial figure:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/h...60b9_story.html

I guess things are a bit more complex than they seem at first sight, or are presented by the media, and one way to get a better understanding is to consider them from a historical perspective.. Ukraine and Russia have always been together, these are practically twin nations, and the only chance Ukraine has is to be a bridge between East and West, between Russia and NATO & EU. I don't think it can afford to enter into serious conflict with neither side. The current problems in Donetsk should be solved by negotiations, not matter how difficult, and not by force. Given Ukraine's geo-political location, an armed conflict can easily escalate into another World War. Let us not forget Ukraine was the main war theater during the WW2: tens of millions of people lost their lives in maybe the most apocalyptic battles the world has ever seen. :( I very much hope Ukraine does not become a gun-powder barrel igniting WW3 !