ClubAdventist is back!

SDA Evangelism.

Sojourner

Just wondering if people might like to share what the different types of programmes that your fellowship has for evangelism in the community? - Traditionally, what types of programmes would the Seventh Day Adventist denomination offer for Evangelism through local churches?

Our little church plant takes a very simple approach. We open up on Sabbath afternoons for tea and cakes (etc) and we sit and chat with the locals. We are making real friendships and that is leading to some deep conversations about faith, the universe and everything. We also provide real help to people.

insx, in Essex :)

• Administrators

Thanks for posting, insx! I like your idea!

I know of some members who have a weekly vegetarian potluck. All who come bring one dish and recipes for it and share that way.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

That is an awesome idea insx, sometimes the simplest approaches are the best approaches. Its great that locals from the community feel welcome to walk through the church door which seems to be the hardest thing here in Australia. People love discussion and I have often wondered how many people that live near our fellowship in the suburbs here struggle with loneliness and would just love to attend a meeting with us if a way could be found to embrace that person and break down the scary barriers about going to church!

• Moderators

Quote:
People love discussion and I have often wondered how many people that live near our fellowship in the suburbs here struggle with loneliness and would just love to attend a meeting with us if a way could be found to embrace that person and break down the scary barriers about going to church!

The current generation, at least here in the U.S., is looking for relationships. They are not interested in theological arguments. They will simply walk away from arguments as are going on in another section of this forum. I like that later part of the post above. It is about relationships and meeting people's needs.

Gregory

The current generation, at least here in the U.S., is looking for relationships. They are not interested in theological arguments.

That was also the case in the dark ages.

Paul predicts it as well.

2Tim 4

I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: 2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. 5 But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

2 Tim 3

But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,

==================

I don't mean to imply that Paul was using "either or" fallacy saying that either one is promoting sound doctrine "or" one is being a friend to his neighbor - of course.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

• Moderators

Looking for a relationship with Christ is not, in my mind, "turning away from sound doctrine."

If you understand the thinking of the current generation, they are looking for relationships with Christ and other church members.

In my understanding, the Bible advocates both.

Gregory

• Administrators

This one has worked for me-

I invested in the quality program, Following the Footsteps of Jesus by Tony Moore. I invited 3 other women to simply watch and we would discuss what we saw.

It really helps to bring alive those Bible accounts when you have in front of you scenes of where the events really happened.

This series could efficiently be shown to non-believers and Christians of other flavours. It is presented in documentary form and is very professionally done.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Looking for a relationship with Christ is not, in my mind, "turning away from sound doctrine."

My feelings as well. Both - and.

in Christ,

Bob

I have been struggling with having a personal outreach. A few months ago, the idea popped into my head (or God told me) that I should start a Bible study where I work. Strangely enough, a couple people approached me about starting one that week. I went to our HR Dept. and they were OK with it. So now we have 11 people attending.

Only 2 rules:

1. This is not about doctrine; it's about fellowship and worship. No telling anyone "You're wrong".

2. What is said in these meetings stays with us - no discussing each other's baggage outside of this room with this group.

Since before Easter, we haven't even opened the book ("Destined to Reign" by Joseph Prince). Testimonies, confessing and discussing personal issues with the group, and prayer have consumed the entire hour each meeting! Several people have told me that they really feel safe and enveloped in love there. God is SOOO good!

That is an awesome idea insx, sometimes the simplest approaches are the best approaches. Its great that locals from the community feel welcome to walk through the church door which seems to be the hardest thing here in Australia. People love discussion and I have often wondered how many people that live near our fellowship in the suburbs here struggle with loneliness and would just love to attend a meeting with us if a way could be found to embrace that person and break down the scary barriers about going to church!

I'm sure it can't be any harder in Australia than it is in the UK. The thing is, we are not really inviting them to church, it's basically just a coffee morning (in the afternoon!). You are right, people still love to talk face to face. I know that some would not approve of this as a Sabbath afternoon activity but it has been such a blessing to all concerned. We have done loads of advertising, we have knocked on doors and it was hard to get the first few people to come in but eventually it has grown through people bringing their friends along. Making genuine friendships with the people is the only real chance we feel we have of leading them into God's love. God is working in many lives, some come to our service in the morning and some are showing an interest in the Bible. I should probably stop rambling, if you want a glimpse of what we do, we are featured in the latest issue of the church's mag (centre pages).

http://adventist.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/42793/BAM2014-09.pdf

Yes, jeans and t-shirts are standard.

insx, in Essex :)

• Administrators

After evangelistic meetings and a large number of Bible Studies we were still not getting many people to the church. A friend and I decided to have an Art Class (Art with Heart) Our church is large and we have lots of room in the basement.

With word of mouth only we initially had 16 people who purchased their own supplies and came for their first class. 4 were church members and 9 had taken the Bible Studies 3, saw the announcement on the marque. It is amazing how well they are doing. We have a Vegan cooking class and made an announcement during our art class ... 4 or 5 came to the cooking class. 3 are coming to Tracing the Footsteps of Jesus Bible Study and purchased their own workbooks.

We are praising the Lord for bringing the interest to the church and allowing them to become comfortable in Good's house of worship.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

I have a phone conference call on Tuesdays and Thursdays that include 1 other SDA family and a non-SDA -- and we talk about any Bible topic - including any doctrinal questions that anyone has -- with special focus on any topic that our non-SDA friend would like to discuss. She is a member of Charles Stanley's church. He was at one time the president of the Southern Baptist Convention.

My neighbor attends Andy Stanley's church and I gave him a copy of the video "Hell and Mr. Fudge". My neighbor then asked me a few Bible questions about the subject of hell and now is completely bought in to the Bible doctrine and has "Evangelized' two other families on this subject as well as 3 other members of his own family.

On Wednesday's we attend a home Bible study with members of 3 other SDA families and 3 non-SDA's , Here again all questions on doctrines that are of interest to our non-SDA attendees are always encouraged and welcomed.

On Saturday afternoons we have 2 Mormon missionaries that come to our house for Bible studies. Today they attended my church and I taught the SS lesson on the Law of God and the Cross of Christ. We invited them to lunch after the church service and they mentioned how they enjoyed the Bible discussion for Sabbath school as well as the practice of asking people to mention prayer requests and praises during prayer time in the worship service. (And of course our Pastor had an awesome sermon on the subject of Mother's in the Bible and the love of God - moving everyone to tears.)

And of course in all cases we encourage members to discuss what we find in the Bible with their friends and pastors.

in Christ,

Bob

Thanks Stan. I am not trying to promote myself - simply offering suggestions for different ways to reach out to people that may not be confined to just the traditional form of evangelism outreach.

Bob

• Administrators

I love hearing about different ideas that people come up with! Keep 'em coming!

The current generation, at least here in the U.S., is looking for relationships. They are not interested in theological arguments. They will simply walk away from arguments as are going on in another section of this forum. I like that later part of the post above. It is about relationships and meeting people's needs.

The thing to bear in mind here is that these people in Australia have often never been inside of a church before of any denomination. A visit to the local SDA church will be likely for some people to be the first time that they have been to church outside of perhaps a wedding or a funeral or so forth. If you take someone like that and approach them with a study on the Sabbath or events in the book of Revelation and try and win them to your ideals I think that they are simply going to look at you blankly with no clue what you are talking about.

I confess that I do not know a great deal about Ellen G White, but it does not sound unreasonable to me that if someone like this visited church for the first time, that they might be given both a Bible and the Steps to Christ book or be offered an opportunity to do the course "Christianity Explained". Its the relationship via the love of Christ that embraces those people into the community.

• Administrators

we have kids camp, from 2 to 3:30 every other month we offer a full Sabbath afternoon of a vacation bible school type program.

songs stories crafts, special critters that are guests, activity, one time was pony rides.

we get variouys people int he community involved, one brought his various exotic snakes. One brought his trained Macaw.

the kids love it we decorate our sanctuary for it for the month. We have had puppets and sometimes Muppets, and lots of joy and fun.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.