ClubAdventist is back!

The relationship between the SDA and Tony Campolo?

Sojourner

Greetings all,

I have a number of books written by Tony Campolo and have followed his ministry over a number of years. It is my observation that some different people across the net and in different denominations don't much like him and its interesting to note that one of the chief reasons given is because he gives his personal endorsement to the Seventh Day Adventist Denomination. That is true, in his book "20 Hot Potatoes that Christians are Afraid to Touch" he says - "Recently, I was a speaker for a large assembly of Seventh Day Adventists. Some evangelicals believe that these brothers and sisters are part of a cult that negates the essence of the Gospel. However since the stalwart Donald Grey Barnhouse, one of the deans of Evangelical Theology, carefully examined their theology and ended up by declaring them fellow Christians, most of us have regarded the Adventists as very much a part of the Protestant mainstream".

It is my understanding that since then he has gone on to speak at a number of SDA events, be it conferences, university gathering and so forth in his capacity as an ordained Baptist Pastor.

My question is on the other side of the coin, how do people within the SDA receive Tony Campolo? He openly does not believe that emphasis should not be placed on keeping the Sabbath on Saturday and sites Romans 14:5-6 as his reason. My understanding is that he believes in keeping the Sabbath one day out of seven, yet not on Saturday as such.

Does Tony Campolo get given air time on 3ABN or any of the other Adventist Broadcasting networks?

My personal thought has always been that Tony Campolo is one of the best things to happen to the Evangelical group of churches as a whole. He seems to have a specific ministry to people that have been burnt by church or had bad experiences with church and I think God uses him powerfully in these types of situations. I confess that often when I am challenged on different things I find myself seeking out his opinion on it - It was Tony Campolo that changed my mind to the SDA soul sleep doctrine for example.

Anyway I would love to hear your thoughts on Tony Campolo, good bad or indifferent!

Greetings all,

It was Tony Campolo that changed my mind to the SDA soul sleep doctrine for example.

Anyway I would love to hear your thoughts on Tony Campolo, good bad or indifferent!

Is that an indication how "dangerous" he is?

• Moderators

Quote:
Does Tony Campolo get given air time on 3ABN or any of the other Adventist Broadcasting networks?

3-ABN is an independent organization that is not officially a denominational organization. It has leadership who are not recognized as SDA clergy. It has had employees who are not SDA.

I am not intending to criticize 3-ABN for what I have said above. I do not intend for this to suggest that it does not do good work. It has clearly had some dedicated people who have been committed to the SDA Church. I have the greatest respect for their former Board Chair--Dr. Walter Thompson.

I comment simply on your inclusion of 3-ABN as a Adventist broadcasting network. It is an independent organization.

As an independent organization, it presents what it considers to be truth. That presentation may or may not represent the denominational understanding. In my opinion, the SDA understanding of truth is broader than what is sometimes presented by 3-ABN.

Gregory

• Members

I had no idea that he had mentioned the Adventist church at all. This is news to me. I have a number of his books. I know that he has spoken at Atlantic Union College a number of years ago. I have always liked him and others as well, even though there theology differs from others. Doesn't mean he has nothing to over people seeking a God center life. As far as 3ABN, I don't believe he has been on there, but I can't be positive.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Moderators

I met him when he spoke at Loma Linda. I first learned of him when I was student teaching at Adelphian Academy and they would sometimes play his videos for the students. On TV I heard him debating a more conservative christian in the series "Hashing it out" I thought I'd be cheearing for him and booing the other... I found my self 1/4 of the time cheering him, 1/4 of the time cheering the other guy, 1/4 feeling that both were saying positive things and that the truth was a union of the two views. And 1/4 of the time dissagreeing completely with both and thinking of what I saw as the truth being completely different from either of their views. But basically I am quite a fan of his.

• Administrators

One of our directors had breakfast with him once and Campolo told him we have it right about the state of the dead.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.