ClubAdventist is back!

What Not to Do in New York City

phkrause

• Members

New Yorkers aren't exactly famous for being polite to tourists, but that's just because most tourists don't know how to act in the Big Apple. The good news: It's not so hard. Just follow these simple rules of conduct—from how to behave on the subway to when it's actually okay to ask for help—and you'll blend right in on your next trip! Here's the inside scoop on what you shouldn't do in New York City.

Here are my comments to the bold part of the statement: I'm not sure how they can say that, since I've lived in a few other cities and found them much less friendly that NYC. In my travels throughout the USA, Canada and Europe, have found most places pretty friendly and NYC to more friendly than most.

http://www.smartertravel.com/photo-galle...d=775&all=1

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Moderators

While I think that it was only hype and stereotypes to say that New Yorkers are not friendly. The advice it gave about how to visit the city was outstanding. Another point about those rules is that, unlike Los Angeles where crime can at times be more random. In New York City the people have learned how to live together and who the robbers look for are those who are not following those rules. I also read the list they had for Las Vegas and Paris. It is amazing the little things that can make a big difference.

• Members

I wish I'd seen the not-to-do list for Paris a long time ago. When I was there with a group as a teenager on my way to Austria, we stuck out like sore thumbs. Our Parisian bus driver finally told us that the French can always tell Americans by their shoes, clothing and behavior...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

I have lived in New York City twice--once in Staten Island for 3 months and once in Brooklyn for 6 months.

I had a car and I drove when I wanted to visit in the outlying areas. But, most of the time, I took the subway. I found it quite easy to use and inexpensive.

I did often go to Times Square to watch people.

On Sabbaths I visited SDA congregations all over the city. From those visits I formed opinions as to the health of the SDA Work in the city.

I enjoyed the city, but I would not want to live there permantly.

Gregory

• Members

I would love to live there again, permantly! But at this time I could not afford to live there. There are probably a few places that I could afford. Like co-op city for one.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Moderators

I live about 4 hours from NY City and my mom worked there while I was growing up and we have friends there. So it is part of being home. When I go I like to drive 2 hours to where I can take a commuter train down. I love living out in the country but close enough for day trips or so to the city.