ClubAdventist is back!

What is your approach to life and career?

TruthSeeker123

A. You had a vision of what job position you want to have (e.g. CEO, CFO, PA to president of company, office manager at local government level, general conference president, etc.) and took deliberate steps, acquired the necessary skills via related and unrelated jobs and studies, to obtain that position and be effective in it.

B. You determined your talents through self-examination, follow your heart and passion, and make a career out of it.

C. You Sit back and wait for God to lead you having no definite aim, no purpose.

D. All of the above.

E. Some of the above.

F. None of the above. Other: ____________________________

• Members

I know people who could be prime examples for A, B, and C.

I wish I had followed "B" 40+ years ago.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Members

heh.  In college, I started off with a Sociology major because I enjoyed it.  When I took 14 months of schooling in Austria, I added German as a 2nd major, in addition to the degree from Austria.  Then because I also liked writing, I added Communications to the group.  That was all for my 1st degree.  Then, not having any particular job in mind, I went back to school for a year, and got another degree with double majors of Psychology and Human Services.  I worked as an Administrative Assistant for the Renal Transplantation Dept at OHSU when organ transplants were still experimental.  While there, I also became an EMT.  Because my interest in medicine was sparked, I got my degree in Radiologic Technology and became a CT Technologist (just couldn't afford medical school).  I got my Master's degree in Community Health Administration and Organizational Psychology... I was about 3/4 done with my doctorate in Botanical Medicine when I was injured and couldn't complete my dissertation :(  (it was on the "chemical composition of essential oils relative to their beneficial characteristics vs adverse reactions and contraindications.")  I'm also a certified "aromatherapist" (using essential oils to treat various issues)

If I had it to do over, I'd get the Rad Tech degree in community college, and then go to medical school.  (But I don't regret any of the coursework I did...  It's all been used in one way or another throughout my lifetime.)

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I did "A". Now 20 years later I'm at a crossroads, since the position and career I thought I wanted and which I did attain is not for me. I made the mistake 20 years ago of not seeking God's will in prayer before embarking on a course of study and setting career goals.

God never said "Thou shalt not think".

• Members

B is what I did. I got involved with printing in Jr High, in NYC, the Bronx to be exact. When I got to High School, I took a commercial course which gave me a number of different choice's. Printing being one of them. Than spent 42+ years in the printing arena. Never regretted a minute of it, but at the same time allowed God to lead in all my choices, so I guess in a very, very, very small way I could add C!

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

Well, I did "A"--and became a nurse. My husband did "B" and figured out he had talent with computers and built a home-based business doing that. When he started going blind, we did "C", because we sure didn't have a clue as to where God was leading us. Through lots of prayer we got a very clear direction, and now we are just waiting on his license to come through for his LPCC.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

Wow, rudywoofs! That's a lot of learning! I sensed that you had a communication background in your critique of "Ellen Harmon White, an American Prophet". So, would you say that you were motivated by your desire to learn as opposed to a desire to achieve or excel in one single area?

Liz, I'm sorry to hear about your husband's condition. But I'm glad that God came through for you. :) What is the LPCC? And what motivated you to become a nurse?

Do you think you would have been happy and successful had you chosen any of the other options you were given, pkrause?

Pierrepaul, I understand your predicament. Ultimately, we must allow the Lord to lead us since He is our Father and He is our Shepherd. And as you look back on your life and your career, there will be regrets. But, there will also be some glimmer of light. God must've used you in some way to be a blessing to others and have used others to bless you throughout your career? So, all is not lost. And maybe you are exactly where you are supposed to be? Our feelings can deceive us sometimes. Nevertheless, the Lord will show you what He wants you to do now.

Liz, I'm sorry to hear about your husband's condition. But I'm glad that God came through for you. :) What is the LPCC? And what motivated you to become a nurse?

Licensed Professional Christian Counselor. What motivated me to become a nurse? Well, I was 18 and working at Wal-Mart. I realized very quickly that that was a dead end job, and I would never be self-sufficient while working there. So I started looking around at careers and colleges, and found out that our local hospital would pay for college for 3-5 people if they would sign a two year contract. Not bad having an associates degree paid for and a guaranteed job waiting for you once you graduated and passed the state boards.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Members

Wow, rudywoofs! That's a lot of learning! I sensed that you had a communication background in your critique of "Ellen Harmon White, an American Prophet". So, would you say that you were motivated by your desire to learn as opposed to a desire to achieve or excel in one single area?

Probably..  I'm an inveterate researcher - always thinking there's "more to the story" than meets the eye...  :)

Liz, both you and your husband made great career choices. Both of you are seeing to the emotional needs of others. :)

What are your thoughts on the "Can Do" and the "Maximise your talent" attitudes/approaches? Do you think they are mutually exclusive?

The "Can Do" attitude says, "If you can do it so can I only better. I can do whatever I want to do. The sky's the limit!" While the "Maximise your talent" attitude declares that one can only excel by using one's talents. They are your areas of greatest potential and can become your strength. If you do things outside of your talented areas, you will not be as successful career-wise and may be even miserable.

The problem I have with the "can do" attitude is that it can be very arrogant. Let's use nursing for an example, if one looks at a nurse and says "I can do her job, only better" and then they go to school, they may learn real quick what all is involved and soon realize that they saw only a snapshot of a nurse's day, and not the whole picture. They are not there for the right reason and they tough it out, because "I can do whatever I want to do". I've worked with nurses like this, they got into the profession because they didn't like the way a nurse took care of their particular loved one. However, they never learned to have compassion towards every person they meet. They became the very thing they despised.

Now having said that, if your type of "can do" attitude is such, that you have a deep desire to pursue a career and you are not going to let anyone or anything thwart you from achieving that goal. That is different and that is to be commended.

I believe that anytime one can maximize their talents and make a career out of it, will be far happier than someone who is just putting in their time for a paycheck.

So no, I don't think they are mutually exclusive, I think they can and should go hand in hand. :)