ClubAdventist is back!

Women Elders in the Early Church

Tom Wetmore

• Administrators
  • Like 1

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Members

Fascinating article!!!

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

Yes, it tends to confirm a number of things that I understood or had heard at one time or another.  

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• 2 weeks later...
The Apostolic Church was very creative in its approach to church offices. As different needs arose, they would set up an appropriate office or position in the church to handle the problem. For example, in Acts 6:1–6 the office or position of Deacon was created to deal with the Church’s charitable work among the poor. By the time of the Epistles, this position had become a permanent part of church government (Phil. 1:1) and the responsibilities and qualifications were set forth (1 Tim. 3:8–13).

Therefore, is not based on the pre-Christ system,  nor any supposed "male headship" or male preference by God, notions.  Why men would choose men is probably self-explanatory.

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

• 6 months later...
  • Administrators

Since elders was brought up in a more recent thread, here is an illuminating article linked in the OP.

• Administrators

One aspect of female elders in the NT not mentioned in this article is Paul's reference in his instructions to Timothy regarding how he should work with the body of elders that had ordained him. Paul tells Timothy to regard the male elders as he would his father and the female elders as his mother, and those that were younger as brothers and sisters. Clearly females were included in the body of elders at Ephesus.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

The specific text that refers to the women elders of Ephesus can be found is 1 Timothy 5:2  Start reading just 4 verses earlier at 4:14 which refers to the body of elders that had ordained Timothy.  Paul continues with instructions for Timothy in how he should relate to these elders.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

The NT office of widows explained...