ClubAdventist is back!

What terrifies ISIS.

Sojourner

• Administrators

Education is indeed the most potent weapon against all manner of evil.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

I've been praying that the Lord stops ISIS. I'm so thankful that He intervened (through humans, but still intervened) in Australia. I have friends in Australia, too. I didn't even know those kinds of things happened in that country, which seems so civilized. It's barbaric. It's crazy. I realize these things will be happening more and more the nearer Christ's return comes, but it doesn't stop me from praying.

• Administrators

Not only that, but it will be the nice Muslims that will suffer backlash from terrorists' actions.

I have one good friend who is Muslim. We do discuss spiritual things. Lately I was reading also regarding Yusuf Islam (who used to be Cat Stevens but converted to Islam many years ago). He has done many humanitarian acts and is not for violence but for peace.

Not all Muslims are extremists.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

Yes that's true Gail, its actually a very small percentage, but that small percentage is a very large group.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Members

Actually what I believe terrifies ISIS the most, is if they get no airtime!

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

Actually what I believe terrifies ISIS the most, is if they get no airtime!

Lots of truth there, there is equal fear that they will get airplay.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

Education is indeed the most potent weapon against all manner of evil.

Do you really believe education is the answer to stopping evil?  

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

It's not the whole answer, but bacon-wrapped bayonets, cruise missles filled with pig parts, and bullets with lard centers probably would scare them.

• Administrators

What I said was that it is the most potent weapon. However, education requires participation, and receptiveness to being educated, or in other words learning new and different ideas. Education opens doors and opportunities and brings hope of better things. Evil holds power over those who are ignorant and uneducated and maintained power most effectively by denying them the opportunity for education.

In the immediate context of the opening post, the suppression of women in particular is indeed most threatened by educated women.

In an ultimate sense it is education in a spiritual sense that is the answer to stopping evil. Jesus' great commission was to go and make disciples. Disciples are students, learners.

• Like 1

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

What I said was that it is the most potent weapon. However, education requires participation, and receptiveness to being educated, or in other words learning new and different ideas. Education opens doors and opportunities and brings hope of better things. Evil holds power over those who are ignorant and uneducated and maintained power most effectively by denying them the opportunity for education.

In the immediate context of the opening post, the suppression of women in particular is indeed most threatened by educated women.

In an ultimate sense it is education in a spiritual sense that is the answer to stopping evil. Jesus' great commission was to go and make disciples. Disciples are students, learners.

OTOH depending on superior amounts of knowledge, without exercising wisdom from He Who is Wisdom, can be harmful to your spiritual health.

13And I set my mind to seek and explore by wisdom concerning all that has been done under heaven. It is a grievous task which God has given to the sons of men to be afflicted with. 14I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. 15What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted.…Eccl 1

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

But an unwise person also without knowledge is the worst possible, basically an ignorant fool. The only hope for an ignorant fool is blind luck.

But I think you misunderstand education if you believe it is simply the acquisition of information, facts and data and assume having that in ones head amounts to knowledge. Education and knowledge are indeed much more than that. Knowledge is more than rote memorization of information. Knowledge requires understanding of the meaning and application of that information. Wisdom is the ability to make that knowledge useful for life. Education done right accomplishes just that.

• Like 1

True education is more about teaching us how to think than about what to think.  Without education, these poor people (mostly women) are being taught not to think at all.  Do what you are told without question or hesitation, or be punished - badly.

• Like 1

I would very much disagree with your position.

The one thing that combats evil is love for God.  The most educated people on the earth can be completely evil.   Educated men abuse their wives in a multitude of ways.   Look at our politicians as an example.   All of them are educated, but the vast majority of them are immoral and abuse women in one form or another, such as cheating on their wives for example.  The vast majority of the men in this sample have read the Bible, but it didn't change their behavior.  

The only thing on this earth that combats evil is the surrender of the human heart to God.  Then evil is stopped within that heart for that person follows God's leading.  They go where God wants them to go.  They do what God wants them to do. God's sheep follow His voice because they know Him.  So, I guess it can really be said that the only thing that stops evil is to truly know God for only those that love Him really know Him....  

• Like 1
Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• Moderators

What terrifies me is that so many in the west so easily fall for "Isis is a grave threat" nonsense. The grave threats are nations that pretend to be allies and are not. The greatest threat is the fact that western governments know and decide to play the game.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/14/america-s-allies-are-funding-isis.html

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

The one thing that combats evil is love for God.  The most educated people on the earth can be completely evil.   Educated men abuse their wives in a multitude of ways.   Look at our politicians as an example.   All of them are educated, but the vast majority of them are immoral and abuse women in one form or another, such as cheating on their wives for example.  The vast majority of the men in this sample have read the Bible, but it didn't change their behavior.  

The only thing on this earth that combats evil is the surrender of the human heart to God.  Then evil is stopped within that heart for that person follows God's leading.  They go where God wants them to go.  They do what God wants them to do. God's sheep follow His voice because they know Him.  So, I guess it can really be said that the only thing that stops evil is to truly know God for only those that love Him really know Him....  

Before one can follow, one must be convinced that Jesus is not only God but that He's real and not just a fabrication of a religion. Soon that will come to pass and sorrowfully, not without loss.

Romans 14:11 It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord ... It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will

bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" ...

God is Love! Jesus saves!    :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

Perhaps you overlooked my last paragraph...  I really didn't think I needed to explain here the consequences of becoming a disciple (student) of Jesus, to be educated spiritually in the school of Jesus.

But the immediate context is more about the value of education in a more temporal sense.  It has been shown repeatedly that education provides a clear path out of poverty.  We are not necessarily talking about even higher education.  This is education at a very basic level. Poverty is also major source of oppression for women.  Educating women significantly aids in alleviating poverty.  But also educating women is a more certain means of facilitating the education of their children, girls and boys, putting succeeding generations on a better footing.  Those most susceptible to the recruitment of the extremist ideologies are those that lack education, opportunity for a better life and those stuck in poverty because of that. 

That is why a girl with a book is a serious threat to radical extremist...