ClubAdventist is back!

Bias?

Woody

• 4 weeks later...

Remarkably, these same male leaders see nothing “controversial” about the centuries-long effort to change the words of the Bible to erase its reference to this female apostle. These men invariably are the sort of people who will tell you that the Bible is sacred, inerrant, holy, unquestionable and infallible. They will insist that they have a “high view” of scripture (higher than yours, certainly, if you dare to disagree with them). They will tell you that the Bible must be read literally and that this is how they read it.

But given a choice between the sacredness of their sacred text and having to admit the full equality of women and men, they’re perfectly willing and eager to change the text — to distort, alter, edit, twist, slice, chop and subvert it. You’d need an unabridged thesaurus to come up with all the manipulations and indignities they’d be willing to inflict on that text before they’d be willing to accept what this verse in Romans tells us about women’s leadership.

Remarkable dishonesty

• Administrators

wow, what an article!

i believe it.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Members

I don't think the author of the article was correct that the apparent change in the translation occurred "in the Middle Ages, apparently before the ninth century"...

Here's my reason:  It was not only the Archbishop of Constantinople, John Chrysotum (345-407), who wrote of Junia as a woman, but that fact was also written into the 12th century and beyond. The writings of Theophylact of Ohrid (1055-1107), Greek Archbishop of Bulgaria, noted for the appositeness, sobriety, accuracy and judiciousness of his scriptural commentaries, also stated that Junia was a female apostle.

Furthermore, as late at 1611, in the Hexapla of Romans, written by Andrew Willet, influential Church of England theologian, (whose son, Thomas, was the 1st mayor of New York City), it is also noted that Junia was considered to be a female.

• Like 2

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Redwood.....There are other places on the internet that describe Junia as a female .....many not as elequent as this.....twas a good artical...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

I can't believe it:   my pastor recently preached a whole sermon on the Junia/Junius issue!   Those male chauvinists existed even back in Bible times!

I'd never even heard about this change until now.   It's very interesting.   Tracing the attempted subjugation of women all through the ages.

[Of course, I never personally felt any antipathy to myself based on gender in my career; hopefully all of us can just go about our daily duties without stooping to attack others on the basis of race or gender.]

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

Remarkable dishonesty

Uncertain of all that but am sure this will not miss the mark.

2"You shall not add to the word which I am commanding you, nor take away from it, that you may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you....Deuteronomy 4

18I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; 19and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.…Revelation 22

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

Since this article was basically an excerpt from a booklet (referenced in the article) I got the ebook version and read it.  Good read!

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)