ClubAdventist is back!

What do you think....

joeb

the following quotes, one from Friedrich Scheiermacher and one from Louis L'Amour, say?

Whoever would make of himself a distinctive individual must be keen to percieve what he is not.  (FS)

Only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. (LL)

I won't say what I think right off so that anyone who wants to argue my point of view won't distract from others giving their own viewpoint. 

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• Administrators

Wise words!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

6Do not claim honor in the presence of the king, And do not stand in the place of great men; 7For it is better that it be said to you, "Come up here," Than for you to be placed lower in the presence of the prince, Whom your eyes have seen. Proverbs 25

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

The authors have great insight and their conclusions are quite logical. Humility is the key to success: "Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up" James 4:10 KJV.

I see TruthSeeker and LHC are very intelligent.  Why?  Because the measure of another man's intelligence is how much he agrees with your own self..... 

I see the two quotes as telling us we need to be very humble and to pay very close attention to who we are, for unless we know who we are, we cannot know what we are not.   It also tells me that I should never take offense at criticism, for if I do, I will never see what I am not.  I will only perceive what I wish to see.  

I really wish, Gail, that you had said what you see in the quotes.  

The other thing that I was surprised at was that nobody seemed surprised that Louis L'Amour has some profound things to say.  His book, The Education of a Wandering Man, a memoir of his life and how he educated himself past the 10th grade is a very good book.   In what should be a surprise to no one as he is a prolific author, is that he was an extraordinarily well-read man.  He read everything from soup to nuts, so to speak.  

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• Administrators

All I said was they were wise words... I didn't add why. The reason is that I didn't want to provide a possible end to the discussion.

I have said this many times over the years, that we can only make judgements according to the information we have. That opens up a willingness to listen and a realisation that we very likely don't have all the answers or the final say.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.