ClubAdventist is back!

6,000 Years and Ellen White

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

Writing in Appendix B, in a section labeled "Chronology," on page 448, in SELECTED MESSAGES, VOL. 3, W.C. White said:

It seems to me there is danger of placing altogether too much stress upon chronology.  If It had been essential to the salvation of man that he should have a clear and harmonious understanding of the chronology of the world, the Lord would not have permitted the disagreements and discrepancies which we find in the writings of the Bible historians, and it seems to me that in these later days there ought not to be so much controversy regarding dates.

Perhaps present arguments over creation dates are not as important as some would make them to be.

• Like 3

Gregory

Just how God accomplished the work of Creation in six literal days He has never revealed to mortals. His creative works are just as incomprehensible as His existence (Spiritual Gifts 3:90-93).{LHU 52.7}

The great controversy between Christ and Satan, that has been carried forward for nearly six thousand years, is soon to close; and the wicked one redoubles his efforts to defeat the work of Christ in man’s behalf and to fasten souls in his snares. To hold the people in darkness and impenitence till the Saviour’s mediation is ended, and there is no longer a sacrifice for sin, is the object which he seeks to accomplish.{DD 5.1}

For six thousand years, faith has builded upon Christ. For six thousand years the floods and tempests of satanic wrath have beaten upon the Rock of our salvation; but it stands unmoved.{DA 413.4}

For 1000 years, Satan will behold the results of his rebellion against the law of God. His sufferings are intense. He is now left to contemplate the part he has acted since he rebelled and to look forward with terror to the dreadful future when he must be punished.{HF 399.2}

I have read about other chronologies where say they were comparing the reign of various kings and it could be that those were the types of things she was referring to as well as perhaps getting exact prophetic dates to the day.

Behold what manner of love the Father hath given unto us.

Writing in Appendix B, in a section labeled "Chronology," on page 448, in SELECTED MESSAGES, VOL. 3, W.C. White said:

It seems to me there is danger of placing altogether too much stress upon chronology.  If It had been essential to the salvation of man that he should have a clear and harmonious understanding of the chronology of the world, the Lord would not have permitted the disagreements and discrepancies which we find in the writings of the Bible historians, and it seems to me that in these later days there ought not to be so much controversy regarding dates.

Perhaps present arguments over creation dates are not as important as some would make them to be.

Is the opinion of WC White the same as that of EG White?

"Those who are engaged in proclaiming the third angel's message are searching the Scriptures upon the same plan that Father Miller adopted. In the little book entitled "Views of the Prophecies and Prophetic Chronology," Father Miller gives the following simple but intelligent and important rules for Bible study and interpretation:"--  {RH, November 25, 1884 par. 23}

In fact, EGW makes several comments referring to chronology. She frequently states that Miller used his understanding of chronology to discover truth.

So if correctly understanding chronology led to the understanding of truth, will a disregarding of chronology lead to more truth or away from truth?

His child Henry 

Bible student/Author https://www.loudcry101.com

• Moderators

hch,  In your citation from eGW, you left out a very important part.  Here is a longer quote:

Those who are engaged in proclaiming the third angel's message are searching the Scriptures upon the same plan that Father Miller adopted. In the little book entitled "Views of the Prophecies and Prophetic Chronology," Father Miller gives the following simple but intelligent and important rules for Bible study and interpretation:--  {RH, November 25, 1884 par. 23}  
     "1. Every word must have its proper bearing on the subject presented in the Bible; 2. All Scripture is necessary, and may be understood by diligent application and study; 3. Nothing revealed in Scripture can or will be hid from those who ask in faith, not wavering; 4. To understand doctrine, bring all the scriptures together on the subject you wish to know, then let every word have its proper influence; and if you can form your theory without a contradiction, you cannot be in error; 5. Scripture must be its own expositor, since it is a rule of itself. If I depend on a teacher to expound to me, and he should guess at its meaning, or desire to have it so on account of his sectarian creed, or to be thought wise, then his guessing, desire, creed, or wisdom is my rule, and not the Bible."  {RH, November 25, 1884 par. 24}  
     The above is a portion of these rules; and in our study of the Bible we shall all do well to heed the principles set forth.  {RH, November 25, 1884 par. 25}

It is the listed principles of intrepration of the Bible that are listed above that EGW advocated., you wilolnote that even then, she only encouraged people to follow the principles.

To say that EGW tells us that Miller arrived at truth, while following his understanding of chronology is not telling us that his understanding of chronology was correct.

Further, If one were to say that Miller was correct in his understanding of the chronology that led to 1844, that would nto be saying anything about a 6,000 year creation.

One could be correct on point A and wrong on pont B.  NOTE:  You can assign whatever chronology you wish ot A & B.

Gregory

Just how God accomplished the work of Creation in six literal days He has never revealed to mortals.

8Let all the earth fear the LORD; Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him. 9For He spoke, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast. Psalms 33

Sounds pretty clear to me. Fits the big bang theory too. You know the one, "He spoke and 'BANG', it was."

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!