ClubAdventist is back!

Your call, thanks to freedom of choice

LifeHiscost

Stephen Hawking Says 'There Is No God,' Confirms He's An Atheist Huffington Post  today

If he's right and remains convinced, we're both dead. If I'm right and remain convinced, he's dead and and I have illimitable opportunities ahead of me, not so many on this earth.

24Martha said to Him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day." 25Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, 26and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"… John 11

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

Stephen Hawking says "There is no God."

This is a really big universe. Perhaps Mr. Hawking should do a little more traveling, to distant galaxies perhaps, before making such an important decree. Personally, I can see the work of YHVH, a super-intelligence, in DNA programming, and, in the unusual composition and behavior of subatomic particles. With a no-Creator mindset one can easily believe that life and matter and energy all created themselves.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

That was Stan, not God :)

In any case, it's also possible that you're both wrong. Framing it as a either...or dichotomy isn't the most reasonable way to think about this question considering that there are thousands of different religions and significant variants of major religions out there. There's only one way to be right and a virtually infinite number of ways to be wrong.

I believe in life before death

There's only one way to be right and a virtually infinite number of ways to be wrong.

::like::

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

Yet Dr. Hawking bases his thought on the concept of laws. It is sad how he has the laws but now questions the law giver, but then again many Christians accept the law giver but reject the laws.

In the article he seems to be just focused on the laws and does not see someone outside who arbitrary keeps or breaks them according to his whim.  

LifeHiscost you stated on the "Muslim free zone" thread:

"Technically your assessment is correct, but since I use the scripture to think with as you evidently use something other than Truth to draw your conclusion, I am removing myself from Townhall until the bylaws see logic based on the best source of valid information."

Did you have a change of heart or are you just finishing out this thread you started here in Townhall. 

"Technically your assessment is correct, but since I use the scripture to think with as you evidently use something other than Truth to draw your conclusion, I am removing myself from Townhall until the bylaws see logic based on the best source of valid information."

Did you have a change of heart or are you just finishing out this thread you started here in Townhall. 

My answer to the referenced post was referring specifically to the fact that Scripture is without bias or personal interpretation. Regardless of what it says or how it is used, the choice of an individual to accept it or reject it is always there but that doesn't change the meaning of Truth (the Word). The reason for accepting or rejecting the Word may be completely valid but the Word (Truth) will always accomplish what it was designed to accomplish and I don't find it necessary to debate the issue.

That's what I like about being a seed sower, although often seed sowers can pay with all or part of their lives.

10"For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; 11So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.  Isaiah 55

Parable of the Farmer Scattering Seed  Luke 8

Lift Jesus up!!

Parable of the Farmer Scattering Seed  Luke 8

Well I am gald you straightened me out on that.

I like the Matthew 13 account as it is followed by the good seed and tares parable.

OOH RAH (me Army Aircorp Vietnam).

• Like 1

Somehow I don't think the constant sermons to almost every topic posted is at an  end.In the other topic there wasn't anything to indicate anything other than one woman's  response.There wasn't a claim by her or anyone here it was biblical.

I don't believe that the family of this woman that was killed so brutally considered her a diversion to biblical prophecy. 

There  can be abuse of anything good,even scripture. I personally take a very cynical view of those that feel they can only speak in scripture and use it as in ....... you evidently use something other than Truth to draw your conclusion, 

I didn't draw  on any  source other than Truth to draw a conclusion,I didn't draw a conclusion

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

. I personally take a very cynical view of those that feel they can only speak in scripture and use it as in .......

I don't recall cynicism being a gift of the Holy Spirit, and the underlined seems to speak of a conclusion drawn. OTOH 1 Cor 13 points out that love is ever ready to think the best of every person. So I'll accept the possibility that your desire for me is in my best interest.

Lift Jesus up!!

Something to think about when in a discussion on any topic.   Constant harping closes the intended mind.

The TRUTH, as it might understood, when used as a bludgeon can be comapred to using a large sword for a scalple.  It just makes a mess of things and does not cure what might be ailing the other that another is trying to deliver from what is percive to be anothers UNtruth/ ailment............>>>> is not GOD about LOVE.

• Like 2

I don't recall cynicism being a gift of the Holy Spirit, and the underlined seems to speak of a conclusion drawn. OTOH 1 Cor 13 points out that love is ever ready to think the best of every person. So I'll accept the possibility that your desire for me is in my best interest.

I am somewhat cynical when there are those that use scripture under pretense of piety and then make certain to slip in snarky comments.  I don't recall a gift of the Holy Spirit having this not so subtle dishonesty. Nothing in that topic warranted this comment...... but since I use the scripture to think with as you evidently use something other than Truth to draw your conclusion.

There had not been any conclusion drawn until you concluded that I was obtaining my truth by something other than scripture.

And here you piously do it again. I don't recall cynicism being a gift of the Holy Spirit, and the underlined seems to speak of a conclusion drawn

My being cynical about your motives for your continual sermons had not been made when you first made the snarky comment.

I don't wish you any ill will. Being cynical about your motives doesn't mean I wish you harm.

Again,no conclusion had been drawn as I think you know but you needed somehow to be able to once again to show how pious you are.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

I am somewhat cynical when there are those that use scripture under pretense of piety and then make certain to slip in snarky comments.  I don't recall a gift of the Holy Spirit having this not so subtle dishonesty. Nothing in that topic warranted this comment...... but since I use the scripture to think with as you evidently use something other than Truth to draw your conclusion.

There had not been any conclusion drawn until you concluded that I was obtaining my truth by something other than scripture.

And here you piously do it again. I don't recall cynicism being a gift of the Holy Spirit, and the underlined seems to speak of a conclusion drawn

My being cynical about your motives for your continual sermons had not been made when you first made the snarky comment.

I don't wish you any ill will. Being cynical about your motives doesn't mean I wish you harm.

Again,no conclusion had been drawn as I think you know but you needed somehow to be able to once again to show how pious you are.

Whatever.

Lift Jesus up!!

You guys make the arguement that because Steven Hawkings is an atheist that he will not be loved and brought into heaven because he has rejected the Law Giver....

Perhaps you remember your "Chronicles of Narnia" series where after the Last Battle, Emeth talks to Aslan-

“Then I fell at his feet and thought, Surely this is the hour of death, for the Lion (who is worthy of all honour) will know that I have served Tash all my days and not him. Nevertheless, it is better to see the Lion and die than to be Tisroc of the world and live and not to have seen him. But the Glorious One bent down his golden head and touched my forehead with his tongue and said, Son, thou art welcome. But I said, Alas Lord, I am no son of thine but the servant of Tash. He answered, Child, all the service thou hast done to Tash, I account as service done to me. Then by reasons of my great desire for wisdom and understanding, I overcame my fear and questioned the Glorious One and said, Lord, is it then true, as the Ape said, that thou and Tash are one? The Lion growled so that the earth shook (but his wrath was not against me) and said, It is false. Not because he and I are one, but because we are opposites, I take to me the services which thou hast done to him. For I and he are of such different kinds that no service which is vile can be done to me, and none which is not vile can be done to him. Therefore if any man swear by Tash and keep his oath for the oath’s sake, it is by me that he has truly sworn, though he know it not, and it is I who reward him. And if any man do a cruelty in my name, then, though he says the name Aslan, it is Tash whom he serves and by Tash his deed is accepted. Dost thou understand, Child? I said, Lord, though knowest how much I understand. But I said also (for the truth constrained me), Yet I have been seeking Tash all my days. Beloved, said the Glorious One, unless thy desire had been for me thou wouldst not have sought so long and so truly. For all find what they truly seek.”

would you say that Steven Hawkings is truely seeking? If so, perhaps, though an Atheist, we shall see him in Heaven...

• Like 2

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Only Steven Hawking knows if he is truly seeking or not. All we can go by is his fruits. When he says that there is no God and he is an atheist, then we have to take him at his word. Of course, God can and will look at his heart and decide his fate, the cool thing is, we will all be happy with His decision. :)

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

I am somewhat cynical when there are those that use scripture under pretense of piety and then make certain to slip in snarky comments. you needed somehow to be able to once again to show how pious you are.

About pious, I'm going to accept the first meaning based on this meaning of Love from 1 Cor 13. "...is ever ready to believe the best of every person."         
  As to snarky, I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may tend to incriminate me. :pontificator: 

pi·ous
ˈpīəs/
adjective
adjective: pious
  1. devoutly religious.
    synonyms: religious, devout, God-fearing, churchgoing, spiritual, prayerful, holy, godly, saintly, dedicated, reverent, dutiful, righteous
    "a pious family"
    antonyms: irreligious
snark·y
ˈsnärkē/
adjective
North Americaninformal
adjective: snarky; comparative adjective: snarkier; superlative adjective: snarkiest
  1. (of a person, words, or a mood) sharply critical; cutting; snide.
    "the kid who makes snarky remarks in class"
    • cranky; irritable.
      "Bobby's always a bit snarky before his nap"

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

Point 0: It's 'Hawking'. Not 'Hawkins', not 'Hawkings'. Let's try to get that right, shall we?

Point 1: The OP is basically a version of Pascal's Wager - on which more in the post below.

Point 2: The claim that 'When I use Scripture it is pure Scripture speaking (not my own interpretation or the context from which I rip it and in which I place it)' shows nothing except that the person making the claim is blind to his/her own biases. Confusing one's own personal beliefs with objective truth does not mean that those beliefs *are* objective truth. It just means one is confused.

• Like 3

Truth is important

If he's right and remains convinced, we're both dead. If I'm right and remain convinced, he's dead and and I have illimitable opportunities ahead of me, not so many on this earth.

Well, if you are going for "just in case" type of religion... why no pick the one that offers the best rewards and requires the least amount of work :)  Essentially, that's what this type of mentality implies - "Hey... if I'm wrong, then I get nothing, If I'm right... then I get the magic pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow!" 

OR...

we can have good reasons for what we believe other than "it doesn't really hurt me in the worst case scenario, and in the best case I'll be living like a king".

Likewise, what if God didn't promise you heaven?   Would you believe in such a God?   It's just a terrible way to frame your belief.

Likewise this mentality really cheapens your realigion as something that cost you virtually nothing.   A person who would say that doesn't seem like a person who counted the cost of religious adherence.  Seems cheap to me... "Made in China" type of religion.  You buy it on sale, and you wear it coz why not? 

• Moderators

How much is he rejecting the old man with long whiskers picture and how much is he rejecting the true God? His theoretic base in on a universe based upon law rather than the idea of no law. He has not given this up and thus may still be having a relationship with the law giver.  

the person making the claim is blind to his/her own biases. Confusing one's own personal beliefs with objective truth does not mean that those beliefs *are* objective truth. It just means one is confused.

One would think that on a forum frequented by people who ostensibly believe themselves to be following the King of kings, every allusion to the Word would be a welcome chance to make application known to be the Word of God, as opposed to seeing it as a side of a persona revealing the son of perdition. OTOH, this is a part of events that are prophecied in the last generation.

2that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. 3Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, 4who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God.… 2 Thess 2

16“Look, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. So be as shrewd as snakes and harmless as doves. 17But beware! For you will be handed over to the courts and will be flogged with whips in the synagogues. 18You will stand trial before governors and kings because you are my followers. But this will be your opportunity to tell the rulers and other unbelievers about me. 19When you are arrested, don’t worry about how to respond or what to say. God will give you the right words at the right time. 20For it is not you who will be speaking—it will be the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

21“A brother will betray his brother to death, a father will betray his own child, and children will rebel against their parents and cause them to be killed. 22And all nations will hate you because you are my followers. But everyone who endures to the end will be saved. 23When you are persecuted in one town, flee to the next. I tell you the truth, the Son of Man will return before you have reached all the towns of Israel.

24“Students are not greater than their teacher, and slaves are not greater than their master. 25Students are to be like their teacher, and slaves are to be like their master. And since I, the master of the household, have been called the prince of demons, the members of my household will be called by even worse names! Matt 10 NLT

Lift Jesus up!!

The Baal Shem Tov taught that a sin in itself is only the bite of the snake. The real damage comes from the poison that spreads afterwards, saying, “What a worthless thing you are. Look what you’ve done! Now you're really lost.”

With those few words, all the gates of hell open wide.

-From the wisdom of the Lubavitcher Rebbe, of righteous memory; words and condensation by Rabbi Tzvi Freeman

Ask yourself am I the Bite or am I the Poison.