ClubAdventist is back!

Would your church throw a party for a Prostitute?

Sojourner

• Members

Not only prostitutes, but how about alcoholics, drug addicts, big mean looking bikers, etc. When I lived up in Massachusetts, and went to the Atlantic Union College Church, we had a Pastor that kind of gave a sermon that was very similar to this. I bet you'd probably not find many churches, let alone the people of that chuch, that would be willing to do that.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Administrators

My husband loves that story...

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Loved that clip.  Thanks, Sojourner.  One of the churches I go to seems to have a "gift" for attracting members of the LGBT community.  They seem to appreciate belonging to have a non-judgmental community where they can openly worship God and safely discuss issues in their lives at the same time.

• Administrators

A short film version of this story, titled "The Least of These" was made by the Adventist filmmaker Rik Swartzwelder. It can be purchased on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Least-These/dp/B000APHJIG/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1411927579&sr=1-2&keywords=%22the+least+of+these%22

I know some of the extras that appear in the film since it was filmed near here and produced by someone I know.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

The rest of the story is as amazing as what Tony tells in this clip.  A common question is what ever happened to Agnes.  Well, Tony's prayer was answered.  This party was a turning point for Agnes.  She left her former life and went to work at the diner.  And the diner became a place that helped others.  She was able to facilitate a surprise birthday celebration for Tony some years later.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

Rik's interview with Tony in the special features where he tells the rest of the story is priceless.

I have to say that I found this really challenging, would I have done that? Would I have had the courage to try and reach out to someone like that? The truth is I don't know. 

Yet I have been thinking this over today. We have created churches to be buildings that host a 10am Church meeting with a Bible Study to follow. Do we use those buildings to have parties for people and to fellowship together with our congregations and the local community? The more I think about it, the more I feel a desire to be more like the church described in the book of Acts which seemed to be so much more than just a meeting once a week! 

Yes absolutely. But whatever you do .... don't serve coffee. The church has to make a stand somewhere after all.

Good Grief.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Yes absolutely. But whatever you do .... don't serve coffee. The church has to make a stand somewhere after all.

Good Grief.

I have to say I am no fan of Coffee flavoured cake! - Almost as bad as Coconut!

• Members

:)  I love coconut-flavored anything!

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Members

I have to say I am no fan of Coffee flavoured cake! - Almost as bad as Coconut!

I can understand not liking coffee, but Coconut!!!

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

If a party is celebrated by the church for everyone who turns to Christ, why not?  But if done ONLY for a converted prostitute, that would send a wrong message, imho.

• Administrators

Gerry, you might want to listen to the story before commenting. The party was while she still a prostitute, not a celebration of conversion.

pk,

that was as good as the original "party-for-prostitute" post.  People have heard me talk about "taking Jesus to the streets" before.  Both of these stories are perfect examples of doing just that.

Father God, please send us all the Holy Spirit right now at this time, that Your Son Jesus would flood the streets, cities and nations of this world!

• Moderators

Gerry, you might want to listen to the story before commenting. The party was while she still a prostitute, not a celebration of conversion.

I've heard Campolo tell that story before.

A short film version of this story, titled "The Least of These" was made by the Adventist filmmaker Rik Swartzwelder. It can be purchased on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Least-These/dp/B000APHJIG/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1411927579&sr=1-2&keywords=%22the+least+of+these%22

I know some of the extras that appear in the film since it was filmed near here and produced by someone I know.

Would like to see that one.