ClubAdventist is back!

Democrat or Republican?

(1)  Which party did the President who segregated the army belong to?

(2)  Which party included the Brown vs, Board of Education Supreme Court decision(it upheld the desegregation of public schools) in its Presidential campaign platform in the 1956 Presidential election?

(3)  Which party did the person who said the following during the Senate debate over the 1957 civil rights bill belong to?  "  "I fought beside Negroes in the war. I saw them die for us. For the Senate of the United States to repay these valiant men ... by a watered-down version of this legislation would make a mockery of the democratic concept we hold so dear."

(4)  Which party chose a segregationist for the Vice Presidential candidate in the 1952 Presidential campaign?  

(5)  What party did the President who pushed through 2 major civil rights bills and created, by executive order, the Civil Rights Commission belong to?  

(6)  Which party had an 82% positive Senate vote for the 1964 Civil Rights bill?  

(7)  What party did the Senator, who was later to become President, who led the fight against the 1957 Civil Rights bill belong to?

I'll have a more questions along this line later.   

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• Administrators

Why do you ask?  

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Members

political party demographics and ideologies have changed quite a bit since the '40's, '50's, and '60's...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Members

Why do you think Tom??

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

joeb,

And I was once a registered Republican.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

The point is things change, people change, political parties change.

• Moderators

(1)  Which party did the President who segregated the army belong to?

(2)  Which party included the Brown vs, Board of Education Supreme Court decision(it upheld the desegregation of public schools) in its Presidential campaign platform in the 1956 Presidential election?

(3)  Which party did the person who said the following during the Senate debate over the 1957 civil rights bill belong to?  "  "I fought beside Negroes in the war. I saw them die for us. For the Senate of the United States to repay these valiant men ... by a watered-down version of this legislation would make a mockery of the democratic concept we hold so dear."

(4)  Which party chose a segregationist for the Vice Presidential candidate in the 1952 Presidential campaign?  

(5)  What party did the President who pushed through 2 major civil rights bills and created, by executive order, the Civil Rights Commission belong to?  

(6)  Which party had an 82% positive Senate vote for the 1964 Civil Rights bill?  

(7)  What party did the Senator, who was later to become President, who led the fight against the 1957 Civil Rights bill belong to?

So.......... you are trying to say that the GOP is the party that has done the most for black people in America. You are attempting to prove that the Democrats are the true racists.

There is one simple problem with this idea. Black people don't buy it. They vote overwhelmingly Democratic and so the question is why? Often conservatives say they are deluded, brainwashed and just want to get "stuff". Is this what you believe? 

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

I have to laugh at all the replies.  Why?  Because in the 1950's being a politician who believed in desegregation and civil rights for blacks was not a politically popular position.  Yet we have Republican after Republican who stood for doing the right thing.  They made unpopular decisions to do so.  They didn't make political decisions based upon polls.   They stood for what is right, even when it was very unpopular to do so.

Kennedy is made out to be hero for the 1964 Civil Rights bill, but yet it was the Republicans who voted overwhelmingly for it.   Republicans voted for it in both the House and Senate at 80% and above.  Democrats didn't get above a 66% yes vote in either body.  

When Nixon became President 70% of black college students attended segregated schools.  Two years later only 18% of black college students attended segregated schools.  Nixon also enforced desegregation in the construction industry through requiring the hiring of blacks.  If a company didn't hire blacks, they didn't get any federal construction contracts.  

It was the Republicans who really opened the door for changes in civil rights political policies.  They did the heavy lifting.  

Here's a list of Democrats for you:  George Wallace, Robert Byrd, William Fulbright (Bill Clinton's mentor), Lyndon Johnson, and that's all I can remember off the top of my head.  Do you know what they all stood for?  Fighting civil rights and segregation.  

You take a look at what the Republicans have done for blacks, politically.  They made desegregated the public schools.  They enforced hiring policies that required hiring blacks.  They sponsored the first modern, meaningful civil rights bills. They ensured that blacks could attend any college they chose to.  These are all things that improved the financial situations for blacks in very meaningful ways.  They lifted the status and living conditions for blacks in ways that had never been done before.  

It was also a Republican who signed the Emancipation Proclamation.  This pretty much gives the lie to the idea that the Republican party has changed.  It's held true to fundamental beliefs for well over 100 years, as evidenced by what Republicans politicians have done.  How they have acted.  

All that said, I'm not a Republican.  I'm a registered Independent.  I just get tired of the political correctness and the ideas that are constantly floated by the liberal media.  Conservatives are not racists by definition.  Are there racist conservatives?  Of course.  There are racist Democrats and liberals too.  Racism is human failure.  You will find racists in every country in the world.  You will find it in every race in the world.  That makes it a problem that crosses as many political lines as cancer does. 

This all puts the lie to the idea that conservatives are racist just because we're conservative in our political beliefs.  We still want to raise everyone's living conditions.  We still want to make sure everyone has a job.  We will still fight for everyone having equal rights.  We still believe in those ideals.  What we don't believe in is political correctness, and the idea that government should control every aspect of our lives.  We don't believe government can, or should, do everything.  We believe in a government that does not spend more than it takes in.  Government has a role to play, but central planning has very negative unintended consequences, and those consequences destroy our liberties.  We believe our rights are granted by God, not by the government.  This is why we believe in limited government.  We do not believe in a government that thinks it's God.  

In a nutshell those are our basic disagreements with the political left.   We still believe in the same principles that we did 50, 60, 70, or even 150 years ago.  We haven't changed in our beliefs.  

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• Administrators

The fundamental characteristic of conservatism, the supposedly predominat orientation of Republicans, is resistence to change in a progressive direction. (change is not out of question as can be seen in some so-called conservatives seemingly he__-bent on changing all things progressive back toward the Stone Age...)

And consistent with that resistence to change is denial or blindness to the reality that the Republican Party itself has undergone a very significant change. That is self evident from your own comments and the whole tenor of this thread. But here is why, IMHO. Things do inevitably change and progress happens despite all the political posturing and pontificating. Conservatives are swept along with it, kicking and screaming, but change and progress along with everyone else nonetheless. Each generation of those claiming to be conservative now are different from the previous generation, because of the acceptance of change and progress. The benchmark of what is now considered conservative changes with the times. They just continue to resist change and try to deny that the goal posts have already moved. The only true conservatives are the Amish. Change happens all around them and they continue their way of life, ideology and beliefs as pervious generations of Amish before them have always done.

But here is the final secret of it all. Republicans are really not all that conservatives and Democrats are really not all that progressive. If Democrats of today achieve their agenda, they would want to keep it that way and not change, a very conservative ideal. And consider the very essence of the Republican agenda. It is all about changing things they do not like or want to continue. The notion of progressivism is that it is moving things toward something better. Why do conservatives want to change things? Because they earnestly believe that change, their way, will make things better. Both sides want change to betterment. None really want things to change for the worse, obviously. They just disagree on what will do the trick and what better really is. And those differences have little or nothing to do with the political posturing of liberal vs. conservative, or any other attempt to label things. The real fight is who gets to control change and have power over it all. And the lust for power and control know no ideological master.

• Moderators

In a nutshell those are our basic disagreements with the political left.   We still believe in the same principles that we did 50, 60, 70, or even 150 years ago.  We haven't changed in our beliefs.  

Who is we? I thought you were an independent.

I'll ask again. Why do African Americans vote in overwhelming numbers for democrats? They are either deluded or yuo are are missing something.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

(8) Which party is currently *overwhelmingly* the most frequent party introducing voter ID provisions that disproportionately disenfranchise minority voters?

Truth is important

(8) Which party is currently *overwhelmingly* the most frequent party introducing voter ID provisions that disproportionately disenfranchise minority voters?

If you want to vote you should be required to show ID. Minorities need ID for almost everything else. I couldn't get a library card without ID. The local food shelf requires a photo ID,and two letters addresses to the recipient before they can receive food.

My husband just went thru a series of tests at two hospitals,again his photo ID was required. To obtain welfare they need photo ID,SS needs a photo ID.

The cost of a state photo ID card is minimal,here it is 15-18.00.   Many times for certain groups it is offered free.

The color of your skin,or your economic status should not be an excuse if voting is important.    

If someone doesn't care enough to go to a little effort then he doesn't care enough to vote

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Administrators

...demonstrating ignorance of the issue

Which party is currently *overwhelmingly* the most frequent party introducing voter ID provisions that disproportionately disenfranchise minority voters?

...demonstrating ignorance of the issue 

Am I missing something? Wouldn't voter registration cards tend to keep people from voting more than once in more than one place using different names? I'm not sure what the hardship is for obtaining ID to enable one person to vote once in each election.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

Am I missing something? Wouldn't voter registration cards tend to keep people from voting more than once in more than one place using different names? I'm not sure what the hardship is for obtaining ID to enable one person to vote once in each election.

Welcome to the ignorance of the issue club. It can be inconvenient in some circumstances,but inconvenience is now called hardship.  There are provisions made for those that lack the necessary documentation to walk in and immediately obtain a photo ID. Reduced or no cost as well.If you really desire to vote and it is important to you,you will take the steps.

Some senior citizens lack birth certificates ,my mother did and when she applied for SS number they helped her to provide one.

My birth certificate had to be amended for rather a silly reason before signing up for SS,not a big deal and cost was minimal.

There are provisions to assist homeless with photo ID.

You need this for welfare programs,jobs,banking,library,and almost anything else.Our food shelf requires that and two letters with

name and address for proof of residency before you can get food for your family.            

No one is yelling that it disenfranchises someone or doing so creates a hardship.

As in anything,if voting is important to you,you will obtain a ID.Otherwise yelling discrimination works well to

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

IMHO this election will go overwhelmingly: Republican and Protestant

"The "two horns like a lamb" well represent the character of the United States Government, as expressed in its two fundamental principles, Republicanism and Protestantism. These principles are the secret of our power..."  {ST, November 1, 1899 par. 4}

His child Henry 

Bible student/Author https://www.loudcry101.com

• Administrators

That is the claimed reason for these more onerous voter registration laws - to prevent voter fraud.  But here is the foolishness of that whole premise.  It is a solution without a real problem.  In none of the states pushing for this has there been a problem with voter fraud.  The instances of actual voter fraud are so statistically insignificant as to be virtually nonexistent, a very small fraction of 1%.  The current voter registration laws are already effective and sufficient.  there is no real need to make it more difficult to register to vote. And will these laws actually do a better job at routing out that one vote fraudster in every 100,000+ legitimate voters?  No.  But why it does is make it more difficult for certain segments of actual voters to exercise their fundamental right to vote that is a constitutionally protected right.  There are few fundamental rights more important than the right of citizens to participate in the democratic process by voting.

Just compare two constitutionally protected rights - voting and the right to bear arms.  In every one of those states where right wingers are pushing for these new laws they are most aggressively fighting anything that would get in their way to obtain a gun.  Do you realize that it is far easier to purchase a gun that it is to register to vote?  Of which two rights is there the most abuse of that right?  Virtually no criminal voter activity vs. rampant and pervasive serious crimes using guns.  Odd isn't it that the segment of our citizens railing against more governmental regulation is pushing for more of it in this one area where there isn't a need!!   Why do you suppose that is?

The voter ID laws are plainly and simply politically motivated.  If it was determined that more right wingers would be disenfranchised from voting by theses laws or if the left was pushing for them, no matter the reason, you could be assured of a ground swell of opposition among right wingers.  It is just another strategy like gerrymandering of congressional districts to gain a political advantage.

The reason election day is referred to by many in MN as Resurrection Day

Jun 4, 2009 ... A review of Minnesota's statewide database of registered voters revealed at least 2,812 deceased individuals voted in last November's general ...
Aug 25, 2014 ... Dead people voting is a type of election fraud that occurs when the name of a .... news search for the term Dead + People + Voting + Minnesota.
See our full report on Unverifiable Voters in Minnesota's ElectionsDECEASED VOTERS: Using a standard deceased matching service commonly utilized by ...

Voter fraud probe in Minnesota state legislature (Democratic) primary.  

By: Moe Lane (Diary)  |  July 5th, 2014 at 10:00 AM  |  74

AAA

Well, isn’t this interesting.

The Hennepin County attorney’s office is investigating whether a private mailbox center in Minneapolis’ Cedar-Riverside neighborhood has been improperly used as an address for more than 140 voters.

State records show that 419 Cedar Avenue S. has been used by some of the voters as far back as 2008.

No one lives at the address, which is a Somali-dominated commercial building housing several small businesses and a popular mail center. Several dozen apartments upstairs use a different building number. Records also show that more than 90 of the registrants at that address have voted in previous elections, although it’s unclear how many voted while registered at 419 Cedar.

Not least because we keep getting told over and over that there is no such thing as sigificant voter fraud in this country. Well, tell that to Democratic state representative Phyllis Kahn, who is in the middle of a tough primary fight with Somalian-American candidate Mohamud Noor. Hercampaign is the one calling for an investigation, not any Republican-affiliated one. Nope, the Republicans are merely the ones saying “We told you so.”

Anyway… more here from Powerline (via Instapundit), including the pertinent and amusing (if you have a suitably dark sense of humor) details of shenanigans in this particular state legislative election.  And if that’s not enough to keep you interested, here’s this: Powerline observed that this address has been in use in Minnesota elections since 2008.  Translation: the same people that may be about to commit vote fraud in a Democratic state primary might have also committed vote fraud in the heavily contested and highly suspicious Al Franken Senate win.

Ahem.

• Administrators

Yep, and upon further investigation the claims of voter fraud are very often found to be seriously defective, inaccurate, and based on faulty information.  

See here - http://voterfraudfacts.com/index.php 

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/10/08/bernie-sanders-busts-republican-fraud-voter-id-laws-report.html 

And many times it is found to be accurate. There really isn't that good of a reason to not have voter ID.  If you really feel strongly about voting there are ways and people to help you obtain one.  

When it comes to applying for welfare and food stamps people seem to manage just fine

• Administrators

The current system is not broken. If it's not broken why try to fix it.

The current system is not broken. If it's not broken why try to fix it.

We had two counties with substantially more votes than registered voters. Mn is hardly the only state. I don't care if those that are resurrected on election day are democrat or republican. In a close election the wrong party can end up winning.

Maybe that type of situation is alright in your estimation but it isn't for many. If voting is important, a photo ID is attainable,especially using the help available. Use the same effort that senior citizens put into applying for their benefits and welfare recipients use to obtain their monthly check and food stamps.