ClubAdventist is back!

God's blessings become curses?

LynnDel

• Moderators

I was just thinking this morning (dangerous activity sometimes) -- has God ever given the human race a gift that we have not misused or perverted in some way? I started a list of all the good things He has given us, and it seems we have found a way to ruin every one:

Bible

EGW

Food

Sex

Intelligence

Knowledge

Health

Health message

Gifts of the spirit

Technology

Creativity

Spirit

Life

Prayer

Love

Children

Parenting

Parents

Headship (the true definition!)

Church

Prophecy

Instruction

Fellowship

Worship

Beauty

Strength

Energy

... I'm sure there are many more gifts we have misused or taken to such an extreme that they become more a curse than a blessing.

• Like 1

LD

I was just thinking this morning (dangerous activity sometimes) -- has God ever given the human race a gift that we have not misused or perverted in some way? I started a list of all the good things He has given us, and it seems we have found a way to ruin every one:

... I'm sure there are many more gifts we have misused or taken to such an extreme that they become more a curse than a blessing.

One of the better biblical examples that makes it very plain that God's best gifts to man can be totally subverted, is the gift of wisdom given to Solomon as outlined in Ecclesiastes. Despite the fact that I'm satisfied that the beauty of women far exceeds men, even I believe 300 wives and 600 concubines to be somewhat much. Knowing that God knew in advance he was going to act this way, one might wonder what God had in mind. Knowing Him to never act with anything less than love in mind, I'm of the opinion that for a general lesson to mankind, it could have included "the more we think we know, the more we know that we know nothing".

That would of course, be in comparison to what we will know when we see our change.

12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. 13But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.   1 Cor 13

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley: 

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

A big part of the Deuteronomic history (Deuteronomy - 2 Kings) is how people can turn God's blessings into curses and how God can turn curses into blessings.

The story of Gideon and his 300, after he had delivered Israel, he turned into a despot and pursued the enemy far more than reasonable.

On the other hand the curse on the house of Eli that no old men would be in that family, did you realize that that family produced more prophets than any other family? Prophets have a tendency not to make it to old age. (Also an interesting note: Most if not all the curses in the Deuteronomic history, if you were to follow them out ended up on one man, the Prophet Jeremiah.)

• Like 2

• Moderators

Llife said:

. . . even I beleive that 300 wives and 600 concubines to be somewhat much.

If the best you can say is "somewhat much,"  you, in my opinion, are out of touch reality.

Not in my wildest dreams would i want to have 300 wives and 600 concubnes.  I would go well beyond "somewhat much."

:)  :)

To all reading here, please take this as my dry sense of humor.

• Like 2

Gregory

Not in my wildest dreams would i want to have 300 wives and 600 concubnes.  I would go well beyond "somewhat much."

Amen!  Sometimes just one wife and zero concubines is "somewhat much" :egg: !

Llife said:

If the best you can say is "somewhat much,"  you, in my opinion, are out of touch reality.

To all reading here, please take this as my dry sense of humor.

Maybe I just appreciate the beauty of women more than you. teehee

Lift Jesus up!!

Amen!  Sometimes just one wife and zero concubines is "somewhat much" :egg: !

ROFLMHO

Lift Jesus up!!