ClubAdventist is back!

requirement when working with minors

rudywoofs (Pam)

• Members

Has anyone heard of the NAD requirement that states that all church leaders and volunteers that are in contact with minors *must* attend a "safety training" course (which, of course, you must pay for) ??

Two of the speakers for the workshop in Oregon are Adventist Risk Management employees, while the other is a Methodist PK and sex offender counselor.

Does the NAD really think this is going to help?  Has it helped?  (just asking....)

post-1492-0-19736100-1413336913_thumb.pn

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

If it is a NAD requirement, I know of places where it is not being put in place.

The requirement to have background checks for the listed people is being put in place, but probably not 100% yet.

Yes,  I think that there is some helpfulness in this training.  I do not think  that everything is of equal value.   But, I clearly believe that some of what is listed is of real value.

Pam, could you give me the citation for stating that this is a NAD policy?

Gregory

• Members

it was in a letter sent to all churches in Oregon today from the Oregon Conference's Risk Management Director:

Dear Church Officers, Leaders and Volunteers,

Please find attached a flyer, postcard, and registration form with information regarding the upcoming Safety training in MEDFORD.  This event will be held at the Medford SDA Church.  Per the NAD policy, this training is required for all leaders and volunteers that are in contact with minors.  We will appreciate it if you share this material with your church Leaders, and Volunteers.

Thank you for your assistance in promoting this event and for encouraging your church leaders and volunteers to attend.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at 503-850-3553.

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I suspect that those who volunteer will not be bothered to find the time for it.

Perhaps .... the work of the church will be slowed by lack of qualified volunteers.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

I suspect that those who volunteer will not be bothered to find the time for it.

Perhaps .... the work of the church will be slowed by lack of qualified volunteers.

I was thinking along those same lines.

While the idea is noble, in reality, volunteers aren't going to want to travel over 500 miles RT or more to attend a workshop for which they have to pay (and I doubt the church leaders and officers will be keen on it either).

And from what I understand, it's very difficult to find folks willing to help out in the Children's/Youth divisions and Pathfinders as it is..

Surely .... each congregation could have a few words regarding this issue. Even a newsletter would suffice.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

There are other options. There is also online training available. I would also assume that the local church and/or the conference should pay for it since it is required and to benefit the church.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

This is an over-reaction pure and simple.

The lawyers had a hand in it I am sure.

It is not to benefit the church in any way other than legal.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Adventist Risk Management (ARM) has a website with a wealth of material available to congregations and  leaders, local and denominational.  That website provides resources for a host of situations from rental of church property to  the protection of children. 

There is a NAD requirement to train all volunteers and other people in regard to the protection of Children.  The Oregon Conference decided to meet that requirement by the training seminar that you discovered.  While that training met the  NAD requirement, it was not the specific requirement.  I am aware of some places where the requirement is met by online course work. 

Gregory

• Members

is this a new requirement?

A simple signed statement indicating that the volunteer has read and understood said position and document should suffice.

I believe in Hematology.