ClubAdventist is back!

Today I went to church

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

Today, Sunday, October 26, I went to church.  I was visiting a relative whom I invited to attend church with me on Saturday.  He agreed and it was probably about the 2nd time he had gone to a SDA Church, on Sabbath, in the past 10 - 15 years.  As I expected him to do, he then invited me to attend the church he attends, today, on Sunday.

It was an independent church which started some 20 + years ago with 5 people. Today it has 7 scheduled services on the weekend.  On a typical weekend from 10,000 to 15,000 people attend its services.  It has a staff of some 200 + people and in the current fiscal year has received some $4,280,000 in offerings to their General Fund.  They have also receive a large amount in other offerings.

NOTE:  I have edited the above statement about offerings in an effort to be more accurate due to the fact that a figure of more than $14,000,000 includes more than this fiscal year as I now understand it.  GM  11/02/2014

The music was non-traditional, but every song testified to the saving power of Christ.

The sermon was the 2nd in a 10 week series on the book of James.  Every point was focused on a Biblical revelation of Christ.

At the end of the sermon a Call to commitment and action was made to the congregation.  One central theme was that committed Christians are involved and put their faith into action.

It was a blessing in many ways.

Gregory

They truly are God's people.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

Very nice!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

We say that we believe that God has many people outside of the SDA Church.  Perhaps it is in congregations like  this on that is preparing  people who will be found to be part of the family of God at the 2nd Advent.  Reminds me of John the Baptist.

• Like 3

Gregory

Perhaps we to can learn from them in areas like Evanglelism and preaching the Gospel to the unsaved? I would love to see an SDA fellowship begin with a group of five people and have a result like that!

• Moderators

That church has requirements to become a member which includes classwork, study and signing a commitment to a statement of belief.

Many of the attendees are not members.  They simply come and they may support.  This is why that the guy who preached Sunday at every service makes a call for people to make a commitment which includes action.

Gregory

• Moderators

That is good that they like to have commitment from their members and that they have a lot of visitors on a regular basis. As far as requirements, I was thinking more along the line of our Sabbath-keeping requirement. That narrows the gate for many people who are not willing or don't see the possibility of taking that step.

LD

I have been attending my local SDA church for over 12 months and have never seen an altar call nor any type of opportunity given in the 10am Sabbath service for people to be born again. Three people in that time have been baptised for the first time though.

There are many really good points about the Seventh-day Adventist denomination, but its focus on Evangelism seems lacking. From previous discussions in here its obvious that many churches eschew altar calls and personal prayer to close church services.

What concerns me is that the two groups that branched away from the Millerites also - the Jehovahs Witnesses and the Christadelphians are groups that have "closed" services where the unsaved are unwelcome to attend as the meetings are set up for members only and its my fear that the same attitude prevails in some Seventh-day Adventist churches where rather than have the meeting set up for Evangelism its about following a strict schedule and being sure that members get out to Bible study on time and in the correct class for their age group.

There is a saying "build it and they will come". If western Adventist Churches point their meetings towards Evangelism and being seeker friendly then I suspect we are a real chance at the results that the church Gregory attended are seeing. Its great to have theology on heavenly sanctuaries and the relationship between Daniel and Revalation and so forth, yet if we are lukewarm on following the final instructions of Christ - to go and tell the world that He lives, what is the point?

• Moderators

Why have an alter call if you never have a person in your audience who has not made a commitment?

That church makes alter calls because they always have people who have not made a commitment.

On that Sunday  some people responded to the alter call.

Gregory

• Administrators

i believe we need to be in the community, and the community in our church services.  i don't like a sermon that is merely preaching to the choir.

those who are new and those who have been in awhile all need to hear and live the gospel.  

the love of God for the lost never gets old, the promises never wear out.  God's word is fresh and life giving and we all need it every day.

• Like 1

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Administrators

At least half of the people who come to the Adventist Church where I attend are not members. This church leads the conference in Baptisms.

On the Sabbath issue, it is of interest that some of the mega-churches have multiple services to accommodate the numbers they are reaching, including services on Saturday. Willow Creek for example, in the Chicago area has services on Saturday and Sunday. While I haven't attempted to verify it with certainty, I once did a rough estimate comparing their attendance numbers and concluded that Willow Creek likely had more in attendance at their Saturday services than we have Adventist members in the Chicago area.

• Like 2

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Moderators

Attending services on Saturday is not hard at all, but giving up employment because of Sabbath issues -- that is a huge hurdle for many.

• Like 2

LD

At least half of the people who come to the Adventist Church where I attend are not members. This church leads the conference in Baptisms.

On the Sabbath issue, it is of interest that some of the mega-churches have multiple services to accommodate the numbers they are reaching, including services on Saturday. Willow Creek for example, in the Chicago area has services on Saturday and Sunday. While I haven't attempted to verify it with certainty, I once did a rough estimate comparing their attendance numbers and concluded that Willow Creek likely had more in attendance at their Saturday services than we have Adventist members in the Chicago area.

I would suggest that if they recognize that God's TC's are inextricably yoked to His love and doctrine is one of the primary methods of becoming acquainted acquainted with Him.

39"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me;40and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.John 5

If we reject that pathway, how can we expect to avoid this:

22"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23"And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'...Matt 7 emphasis theirs' LHC

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

i believe we need to be in the community, and the community in our church services.  i don't like a sermon that is merely preaching to the choir.

Agreed, if that is the case I would have the expectation that the Eldership of the church would gather together to seek God with the rest of the church about how they might change that situation!