ClubAdventist is back!

Medicinal marijuana disfelowship

fccool

That's a sorry thing to do.  This type of control and intimidation is exactly the type of stuff that turns me off to denominationalism in general.  While they're at it, why don't they disfewllowship everyone who uses prescription pain meds, tranquilizers, sleep aids, and cough syrup?  Even most OTC cough medicines have alcohol.  Prescriprion pain meds and trancs are far more dangerous and debilitating  that cannibis.  No one has ever died from an overdose of weed.  Millions have died from overdoses of the other drugs mentioned.

Many people who are disfellowshipped eventually turn their back on God, as well.  If this poor woman does that, may the guilt fall on the church's head.

May Jesus bring comfort and spiritual healing to this poor soul.  The church sure won't.

• Like 2

I have no doubt that Ellen White would have used it if needed. She did drink wine to help her down moments.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

As is asked so many times,How many of you know the whole story?

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Looks like we know her side.

I believe in Hematology.

Looks like we know her side.

Do you? From This......Bodle said fellow church members at Beaumont Seventh Day Adventist Church grew concerned after seeing her support the use of marijuana on a report on 12News.

12News first spoke to Bodle at the arraignment of Jeremy Bourque who is facing trial on marijuana charges. Bodle was there showing her support for the legalization and medicinal use of cannabis.

Tell me, was she advocating for the medicinal use or for legalizing general use. What was Jeremy Bourque facing trial for? Medicinal use? 

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

The church has the ability to disfellowship her for most any reason.

The reasons in the church manual are broad and vague enough that they will have justification.

And the conference has no say in it.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Woody:  You are almost 100 % correct in what you write.  Policy does provide the right of appeal to the Conference.  The Conference can advise the local congregation.  If that  congregation refuses to follow Conference advice, the Conference has the ability to facilitate membership in another congregation to include the Conference Church.

Gregory

As is asked so many times,How many of you know the whole story?

The article says "12News was not able to get in touch with anyone at the church but the letter to Bodle states they do not promote the use of addictive drugs whether they're legal or not."

Looks like the church had a chance to tell their side of the story, and decided not to.  Her side of the story is all we get.

Unless she showed up at church visibly stoned and reeking of weed, she should not have been disfellowshipped.  She wouldn't come reeking of weed cuz she was taking an extract (probably cannibis oil) rather that smoking a doobie.

The article says "12News was not able to get in touch with anyone at the church but the letter to Bodle states they do not promote the use of addictive drugs whether they're legal or not."

Looks like the church had a chance to tell their side of the story, and decided not to.  Her side of the story is all we get.

Unless she showed up at church visibly stoned and reeking of weed, she should not have been disfellowshipped.  She wouldn't come reeking of weed cuz she was taking an extract (probably cannibis oil) rather that smoking a doobie.

I wonder how "12 News" got in touch with Bodle? You maybe right and that is all there is to this,but you are assuming that Bodle has told the whole unvarnished truth in this. Again maybe she has. I don't know 

But it might have something to do with this.......Bodle said fellow church members at Beaumont Seventh Day Adventist Church grew concerned after seeing her support the use of marijuana on a report on 12News.

12News first spoke to Bodle at the arraignment of Jeremy Bourque who is facing trial on marijuana charges. Bodle was there showing her support for the legalization and medicinal use of cannabis.

Was her support strictly for medicinal use?  As the denomination does not support recreational use of drugs the actions following would not be all that surprising.

JoeMo,

Agree, wonder why it is being suggested that she wasn't being forthright in her comments. So what if she was supporting the use as a medical product, what business is that of the church. Is the church going to ban someone or anyone who supports a medicine they don't agree with?

JoeMo,

Agree, wonder why it is being suggested that she wasn't being forthright in her comments. So what if she was supporting the use as a medical product, what business is that of the church. Is the church going to ban someone or anyone who supports a medicine they don't agree with?

I assumed most would understand the difference between a suggestion and a question.If not maybe they could look it up. Out of curiosity since I posed the question I looked for any information I could find.While it is very limited there is a indication that there is more than what has been reported. Is that true? Don't know.  Do any of you before you condemn a entire church?

There isn't any more reason to believe one over the other.

My questions are because of the initial article. I would think to promote medical use would be done in a different manner than she chose. Who was she supporting?  Obviously this woman or someone close to her provided the information on being disfellowshipped. Why would you inform the media you had been disfellowshipped?

Would this have happened had she supported medical use in a manner more in keeping with the denomination? Your religious affiliation isn't anything to hide but why would you feel the need to say I am a SDA/Catholic or ?? and am endorsing/promoting the use of.....

As for all the expert opinions here on the safety/benefits/legalizing I will trust the word of our family DR before any here. We had a couple of casual conversations concerning this. He is not opposed in some situations to medicinal use but he is to the almost manic idea that it takes care of almost everything and the abuse possible by those that self prescribe

If a poll was taken, I would bet that being disfellowshipped as being one of the main reasons people turn away from God.  They take being disowned by the church as being equivalent with being disowned by God.  They give up.  Another soul for satan.

As for condemning an entire church, they had no problem condemning her.  If I understand rightly, it takes a majority vote of the congregation to disfellowship someone.  That means a majority of the church approved it.  As they judge, so shall they be judged.  God's word says that, not me.

If Jesus busted her in Person, would He disown her?  Show me a scriptural example where He disowned any "sinner", and I'll show you seven woes that He pronounced against the church leaders of His time that were in charge of disfellowshipping.

JoeMo,

I guess so - they did just that.  But the person eating Oxicontin like it's a health food gets of scot-free cuz they have a prescription.

If a poll was taken, I would bet that being disfellowshipped as being one of the main reasons people turn away from God.  They take being disowned by the church as being equivalent with being disowned by God.  They give up.  Another soul for satan.

As for condemning an entire church, they had no problem condemning her.  If I understand rightly, it takes a majority vote of the congregation to disfellowship someone.  That means a majority of the church approved it.  As they judge, so shall they be judged.  God's word says that, not me.

If Jesus busted her in Person, would He disown her?  Show me a scriptural example where He disowned any "sinner", and I'll show you seven woes that He pronounced against the church leaders of His time that were in charge of disfellowshipping.

Do you know what preceded this and what was involved? I didn't read where anyone had condemned her to hell or told her she was eternally lost. Church membership is voluntary on the part of the member,on the part of the church, members are expected to reflect the beliefs. Actually I believe what Jesus said in at least one instance was, Go and don't do it anymore. Disfellowship is not the same as disown. 

None of us know what the whole story is,but it would be interesting to know why this woman felt compelled to support  legalization 

in the  manner she did. Was there some compelling reason she identified herself as a SDA supporting legalization?Was she clearly giving her support to strictly medicinal use?

If this was a personal issue for her why involve the church,unless she has a ax to grind? Why would this woman or someone close to her continue this by notifying the media that she had been disfellowshipped. I am sure the church would not involve the media in a private matter.

I guess so - they did just that.  But the person eating Oxicontin like it's a health food gets of scot-free cuz they have a prescription.

What does that have to do with this story. Or is it comparing sins or perceived sins to see which ones we can safely do because? 

Doesn't it say something,I believe in Thessalonians  that we are to withdraw from the disorderly 

None of us know what has taken place here. You do not see anything questionable about this story and in typical non judgmental fashion are ready to condemn an entire congregation.

Maybe there isn't anymore than a judgmental church,but I question a  few things about motive and if possibly there is more. I find it odd that the news media would interview this woman and ask her what her religious affiliation was and to notify them if she had her membership removed. Maybe the only way she felt she could support her cause for legalization was to be as public as possible at the arraignment of someone else. Most could probably think of better ways that would not conflict with the stand the denomination has taken on drug use. Probably more effective as well without creating animosity and contempt for the denomination and especially the members of this congregation.

Doesn't it say something,I believe in Thessalonians  that we are to withdraw from the disorderly 

40Let all things be done decently and in order. ! Cor   I doubt if that's the one alluded to, however maybe this will fill in the gap that might indicate the reaction of disavowing company with the scrambled brain.

Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, 2 Cor 6

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

40Let all things be done decently and in order. ! Cor   I doubt if that's the one alluded to, however maybe this will fill in the gap that might indicate the reaction of disavowing company with the scrambled brain.

Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, 2 Cor 6

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

The one I had in mind is 2 Thessalonians 3;6        But we command you brethren,in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,that you withdraw from every brother who walks disorderly...........

Apparently there are times that we are to withdraw from someone.

No one knows what has gone before and all issues that may be involved in this. It could very well be the media was so interested in this woman they wanted her religious affiliation and to know if she was disfellowshipped ,but I doubt it. Maybe she has what she thought was a good reason to use this to hold the church up for public ridicule,knowing they would be reluctant to respond. Maybe she is innocent of any wrong doing or motive. But on the flip side the church may be the one innocent of any wrong dong or motive. But the do not judge membership is willing to jump in with both feet and judge

• Like 1

Bonnie asks; "Your religious affiliation isn't anything to hide but why would you feel the need to say I am a SDA/Catholic or ?? and am endorsing/promoting the use of....."

Red Herring.  Article never said she mentioned being an SDA at her initial appearance supporting legalization of medical use.  My read shows that did't occur until after she was disfellowshipped.

I'm pretty much done here.  I've expressed my opinion and I'm sticking to it.  It was wrong of the church to disfellowship her.  I don't believe that Jesus would have handled it that way.  Look at how He handled Judas.

Over and out.

Bonnie asks; "Your religious affiliation isn't anything to hide but why would you feel the need to say I am a SDA/Catholic or ?? and am endorsing/promoting the use of....."

Red Herring.  Article never said she mentioned being an SDA at her initial appearance supporting legalization of medical use.  My read shows that did't occur until after she was disfellowshipped.

I'm pretty much done here.  I've expressed my opinion and I'm sticking to it.  It was wrong of the church to disfellowship her.  I don't believe that Jesus would have handled it that way.  Look at how He handled Judas.

Over and out.

You could be right,but someone decided to follow thru with the media and inform them of the action of the church. I think it is fairly safe to say the church/pastor did not inform them.Why would you choose someone being arraigned on drug charges to promote legalization for medical use.

The manner she chose to promote this may have been a cause for concern. I don't know but what has popped up in following up on related articles  to  this woman may have a lot to do with the action.

"I've personally cured people of leukemias, of cancers, of lymes disease, throat cancer, skin cancer, all sorts of stuff, using cannabis resin. I use cannabis resin all the time and I don't care who knows it. This is only one of many.

The above is exactly the concerns my family Dr had over the mania to legalize for medicinal use. Self medicating for everything from a headache to cancer. Maybe you don't see the danger in that but many do and they are not all self righteous narrow mined hypocrites.

You don't know anymore than I do,but I do question some of what is being reported in the article. You don't.

I also have some reservations over the claimed letter from her Dr. Dr's are as different as any one else but to endorse something in that manner seems a bit of a stretch