ClubAdventist is back!

Medicinal marijuana disfelowship

fccool

I don't believe in disfellowshipping period. The solution is to just not have membership since membership is not biblical.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Here's an article from Adventist Today about the issue, might have a few more details

http://www.atodayarchive.org/article/2760/news/october/adventist-woman-disfellowshiped-for-medical-marijuana-use

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Thanks for posting this, pk.  From the looks of the comments under the article, many others were dismayed at disfellowshipping this woman.  I thank God for her Christ-like spirit and attitude; and how she knows that her name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life regardless of what a local congregation (or denomination) might do or say.

• Like 1

If the church based this on being 'illegal', I wonder if they monitor speeding tickets that members of the congregation may get...1st one a warning, 2nd one you're out???

• Members

the thing that bothers me most is that the lady is promoting marijuana as a "cure-all" for Cancer, Lupus, Arthritis, Trigeminal Neuralgia, Aides, Ebola, Seizures, Tumors, and other medical conditions.  And she's not just promoting the legalization of "medical" marijuana, but also for recreational use.  She is also condemning all pharmaceuticals as "sorcery"...  

Furthermore, if she wanted to "educate" the Adventist church in the medicinal properties (and there definitely *are* medical uses), she's certainly going about it the wrong way by being "in your face" in addressing the church.  It hardly makes for possibilities of reasonable discussion.  Her Facebook page is very "telling"....

While I've never spoken to her, just from what I've read (and it's considerable) doesn't give me much confidence in her discernment of the issues...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

the thing that bothers me most is that the lady is promoting marijuana as a "cure-all" for Cancer, Lupus, Arthritis, Trigeminal Neuralgia, Aides, Ebola, Seizures, Tumors, and other medical conditions.  And she's not just promoting the legalization of "medical" marijuana, but also for recreational use.  She is also condemning all pharmaceuticals as "sorcery"...  

Furthermore, if she wanted to "educate" the Adventist church in the medicinal properties (and there definitely *are* medical uses), she's certainly going about it the wrong way by being "in your face" in addressing the church.  It hardly makes for possibilities of reasonable discussion.  Her Facebook page is very "telling"....

While I've never spoken to her, just from what I've read (and it's considerable) doesn't give me much confidence in her discernment of the issues...

It takes some looking but the image being presented here by those that support her is quite a bit different than the image she portrays.

But far easier to blast the church as unchristian without  knowing both sides of this story. I will give her credit she presented a nice view for atoday.

promoting marijuana as a "cure-all" for Cancer, Lupus, Arthritis, Trigeminal Neuralgia, Aides, Ebola, Seizures, Tumors, and other medical conditions is exactly the concern my family physician has for what he calls this manic rush for medical use.He is not opposed BTW to a common sense approach. He is opposed to self styled experts and their blanket promotion and self medication. A little researching this woman will show just that

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Moderators

In post # 9, I recommended that she appeal to the Conference.  I wish to withdraw my suggestion.

I made the suggestion thinking that the Conference would be more reasonable.  I do not now think that she should appeal to them.

Gregory

Withdrawal accepted GM

I believe in Hematology.

The conference said the following:

"Adventist Today spoke with a representative of the Texas Conference and was told that neither conference nor congregational leadership could speak to the situation because of privacy concerns. The conference did share a general statement affirming the stance of the Adventist Church regarding personal health. The Church “has long taught and believes that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit and as such, we are to care for them intelligently. Since the use of illicit drugs is harmful to our bodies, we are to abstain from their use. This includes the sale, manufacture or advocacy for their use,” the statement read.

Where I believe they are in error is --- while the use of or sale and manufacture of illicit drugs is specifically prohibited in the manual .... I do not know of anything that says "advocacy" is prohibited.

I believe in Hematology.

Just checked the Church Manuals from 1986 to the present one. And there is no mention of 'advocacy' being a reason for disfellowship. THe only mention of disfellowshipping for drugs is for illicit drug use, sale or manufacturing.

I believe in Hematology.

Just checked the Church Manuals from 1986 to the present one. And there is no mention of 'advocacy' being a reason for disfellowship. THe only mention of disfellowshipping for drugs is for illicit drug use, sale or manufacturing.

Maybe because most see what you encourage others to do and falsely claiming cures for everything from a hang nail to cancer for an illegal product as being as guilty as if you used it yourself. But of course that is only the thinking of narrow minded self righteous hypocrites

But maybe all of the learned minds are right on this forum.

The only sin that is worthy of concern and mention is actually believing there are some things that as  SDA Christians we should avoid or not condone.

For some,pretty convincing arguments that say that a homosexual lifestyle is not wrong or if wrong not something to really concern anyone with a  open christian mind.

Alcohol consumption certainly seemed to get a green light here or at least the assertion  that is not wrong to have a drink or two.Moderation of course,we wouldn't want a hungover pastor. It would be reasonable to assume that a pastor could serve a round of alcoholic drinks in a elders meetings. Just to relax of course.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Alcohol just to relax? Bonnie you might be onto something. I do believe that our prophet drank for just that reason.

I believe in Hematology.

Alcohol just to relax? Bonnie you might be onto something. I do believe that our prophet drank for just that reason.

It could catch on,everyone needs to relax at times. Just think if we followed what the more learned minds seem to be condoning or thinking that it really isn't important.

We could have a pastor or elder with a same sex spouse,go to their home for an evening of relaxation and a bit of alcoholic beverage and campaign for the legalization of pot. Condemning those of course that don't follow the new program.Can you imagine the growth we  could rave about. Come to think of it some think that those days will come and it may appear the church about to fall.

• Like 1

It could catch on,everyone needs to relax at times. Just think if we followed what the more learned minds seem to be condoning or thinking that it really isn't important.

We could have a pastor or elder with a same sex spouse,go to their home for an evening of relaxation and a bit of alcoholic beverage and campaign for the legalization of pot. Condemning those of course that don't follow the new program.Can you imagine the growth we  could rave about. Come to think of it some think that those days will come and it may appear the church about to fall.

Since we already have beheading in America as an isolated phenomena, why would it seem strange in the natural course of events you've described as becoming a reality for those who do not accept the Word as having absolutes as important?

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!