ClubAdventist is back!

windows 8

joeb

I just had to buy a new laptop and it came with windows 8.   I have one thing to say about it:  I absolutely hate it.  I can't wait to put Linux on it.  I don't know how anyone can put up with this junk. 

• Like 2
Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• Moderators

Yeah, I've resisted 'updating' to it and stuck with Windows 7. It's the 'alternate versions' rule of Windows. ;)

And yeah, Linux is definitely a lot better than Windows 8. I stick with at least one Windows box for gaming, and use a Mac at work, but it must be time to play with *nix again. What distro do you prefer these days?

Truth is important

When a techician told me my HP laptop with VISTA was getting too old I bought a new Samsung Galaxy with Android. It has WiFi and 3G so I can use it anywhere, even ClubAdventist while crossing the mountains.

At home I often use my old VISTA. Occasionally some Office program drops dead but I have always been able to revive it again. My wife uses Windows 7, but that does not seem to be much better than my old VISTA.

The Android has a couple of free programs which serve me better than the Microsoft Office on VISTA. The Andoid version of Office seemed to be no good.

• Administrators

Switch to Mac and never look back...

• Like 2

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Yeah, I've resisted 'updating' to it and stuck with Windows 7. It's the 'alternate versions' rule of Windows. ;)

And yeah, Linux is definitely a lot better than Windows 8. I stick with at least one Windows box for gaming, and use a Mac at work, but it must be time to play with *nix again. What distro do you prefer these days?

I am, and have been for close to a decade, a Debian user. 

Alexis de Tocqueville

Switch to Mac and never look back...

Why would I want to use something not only more expensive than windows, but just as proprietary?  I like the freedom of Linux, and I'm not referring to the price.  All these proprietary software companies rape the consumer.

Alexis de Tocqueville

• Moderators

windows-bad-good-cycle.jpg

I got tired staring at blue screens and trying to get programs to work. Switching to Mac was the best computing decision I ever made.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

This thread got me back into playing with Linux. I got Mint, but the Debian-based rather than Unbuntu-based version, so even before seeing your response, joeb, ended up in the same universe. ;)

And yep, Laz, perfectly illustration!

Truth is important

And I never get involved in the 'OS wars', just use 'em all!

I got involved because of the massive amounts of greed and corruption I see in proprietary software.   Since the 1980's hardware has gotten far more than incrementally better.  It's hundreds, if not thousands, of times more powerful, and yet hardware prices have dropped almost as fast as it has gotten much more powerful.  Proprietary software has just gotten more expensive.  You don't see the normal laws of supply and demand apply to it .  Why?  Because the software companies play in protected areas.  They don't actually sell you a product.  They allow you to buy it, but then want to control it after you've paid for it.

I'll give a for instance.  Windows 8 changes my home page at will.   I don't want to use bing, and it constantly shuffles me off to bing and msn instead of sending me to my chosen home page.  I have a huge problem with that because it means MS is monitoring what I do, even though I've selected the options that tell my computer NOT to send MS info.  It's none of MS's business how I use the computer I've purchased, and it's definitely overriding my chosen options. 

As far as Mint goes, I've tried it but I have stuck with Debian since I first tried it.  I started off with RedHat, and a couple of other distros that are now defunct,  but there were so many issues with all of them that I gave up on all of them.  Someone told me about Debian and I tried it.  It took me 3 times to  get a working installation, but I realized the problems I'd run into were of my own devising, arising from my own ignorance.  I learned from all my mistakes and once I got it up and running it just worked, all the time.j  There were no bugs that affected how it ran, and the other distros were so buggy that it was impossible for me to tell whether the problems I had came out of my ignorance or the bugs.   As far as I'm concerned it's the highest quality distro around

Alexis de Tocqueville