ClubAdventist is back!

Ellen White's 50th Birthday

Woody

Does anyone know what Ellen White did on her 50th birthday?

I just discovered it and found it interesting.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Does anyone know what Ellen White did on her 50th birthday?

I just discovered it and found it interesting.

This might be of interest to those who can access it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh-day_Adventist_theology#mediaviewer/File:James_and_Ellen_White.jpg

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

50th Birthday:

Well, that would be November 26, 1877.  At that time she was living in Northern California.  So, she and her husband probably took a carriage ride. I have never heard of James White being much of a cook.  I have not heard of EGW eating much in a restaurant.  So, I would suppose that she fixed her own birthday dinner.  That dinner might be mush, eggs and cold gems, I suppose.  If I were to really stretch my imagination, I would say that she fixed her own birthday dinner while holding a baby child in one arm on her hip.

Well, enough of mere speculation, tell us what you discovered.

Gregory

You get a gold star Gregory

I believe in Hematology.

“ Made a little mush, cooked some eggs and put on a few cold gems. This composed my dinner, birthday dinner, half a century old! Not much display in this. “ Ellen White in {4MR 39.1}

I believe in Hematology.

Surely the folk back then could have honored our prophet in a better way.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

If anyone bothered to read the whole thing, Ellen and James White had taken a carriage ride, and visited the Ross family, who had nothing to eat in the home.  We don't know what the situation was - perhaps illness...   At any rate, as Gregory mentioned,  while Ellen held the family's baby in one arm, she made some mush, eggs, etc, for the family members.

I highly doubt Ellen White would wish dispersions cast on that family for not "honoring" her on that day.  

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Members

By the way, in 1877, the Ross family consisted of William Ross (35), his wife Sarepta (29), and 7 children, the oldest 12, and the youngest, Harry, was one month, when the White's visited.  The Ross's were amongst the founding members of the Green Valley Adventist Church (which only lasted 8 years before it was moved to Sebastopol) (see photo of the church, and of the Ross family in 1890, with 8 children)

And, incidentally, in November of 1877, there was a smallpox epidemic in Sonoma County.  Perhaps one or more family members were not at home, due to the illness....

post-1492-0-91118500-1415502127_thumb.pn

post-1492-0-92715600-1415502225_thumb.pn

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

LOL Pam. I was comparing our day with hers.

In our day .... the local church or conference or the GC would have had her come for a  big  prophetess-shindig.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

oh... you mean a dinner with Vision Vichyssoise, Testimonies Tofu, and Prophetess Pumpkin Pie?  :)

• Moderators

I did not read it in 4 MR, see post # 6.

However, you can read about it in vol. 3 of the EGW Biography, by A. L. White, beginning on page75. Or, if you have access to Ltr. 39, 1877, you can read about it there.

I will ask a further question:  Did James White forget his wife's 50th birthday?  How do you know?  If, he did not forget, how did he honor her?

Gregory