ClubAdventist is back!

Chanukah

phkrause

• Members
What is Hanukkah about?

Folks all over the world ask, "What is Hanukkah about?" Hanukkah is a celebration of religious freedom, miracles and light. You don't have to be Jewish to appreciate the holiday of Hanukkah. Here are Hanukkah stories, songs, games and prayers to get you in the Hanukkah spirit!

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

7 Illuminations of Hanukkah

Jewish Festival of Lights

Getting excited for Hanukkah? The Festival of Lights is here and we have some basic information for the novice to encourage you to participate this year. Maybe it’s the origins of the sacred oils, foods, and gift-giving, and the grand history that predates Christmas.

Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Judaism/Hanukkah/7-Illuminations-of-Hanukkah.aspx#OQygyrXOkomhJwoM.99

phkrause

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Hanukkah: 5 Holiday Lessons to Unwrap!

The Festival of lights

by Rob Kerby, Senior Editor

About 160 years before the historic events that Christians celebrate at Christmas, the Jewish people were struggling under the oppressive occupation of a Syrian-Greek invader, Antiochus IV. Delighting in the perverse, he sacrificed a pig in to his pagan gods in the Jewish Temple, forbade Israel from observing their faith in they way they had for centuries – ever since Moses came down from Mount Sinai. Furthermore, Antiochus was determined to blot out Hebrew culture. Alarmed, a small group, the Maccabees, inspired a rebellion.

Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/Love-Family/Holidays/Hanukkah/Hanukkah-5-Holiday-Lessons-to-Unwrap.aspx

phkrause

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Songs for Hanukkah

Music is a huge part of enjoying the holidays, and Hanukkah is no exception! Here are some of the best loved Hanukkah songs that are sung year after year.
Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/love-family/holidays/songs-for-hanukkah.aspx
  • Like 1

phkrause

They all sang with clarity and proper enunciation.  The Hanukkah celebration is way more spiritual than our Dec.25th hype. Thanks to Phkrause for this whole topic thread.

• Like 1

• Members

I actually wish that growing up my family had participated more in all the celebrations. But my father having spent 5 years in concentration camps, really soured his love for the Jewish faith and God! So instead of bringing him closer it took him further away, but interesting enough, when my Mom found a SDA Jewish congregation in the Bronx, he came with us to church whenever he could. From a article in a church newsletter, I found out that at first my father worked on Sabbaths, I never knew this until the other day!! Anyway its been very interesting for me to learn my Jewish roots these pass number of years.

• Like 2

phkrause

• Members

A Timeless Gift for Hanukkah

For eight days, the glow of our menorah will be augmented by the darkness of my smartphone.

http://www.aish.com/f/p/A-Timeless-Gift-for-Hanukkah.html?s=mm

(obviously a major reason that Jews will pick Hanukkah over Christmas is Jesus! Hanukkah has much more meaning to them, but that is very sad indeed. If they had really understood that Jesus was and is there Messiah, than maybe they would've had better records on his birth date? Than maybe Christmas, or whatever it would've been called, would've been there number one holiday. For me I really love Hannakkah and Purim for what the represent to the Jewish people!)

phkrause

• Members

Hanukkah begins tonight

All over the world tonight, the Jewish People will be lighting their hanukkiahs (Hanukkah menorahs) in remembrance of
the miracles that God performed about 2,200 years ago in Jerusalem.

The first miracle was God's deliverance.

For many years, the Jewish People had been oppressed by the Greeks, who desecrated the Holy Temple by sacrificing a pig on the altar.

They enforced idolatry, forbidding the Jewish People from reading the Torah and following it.

God delivered His people through a Jewish priest named Mattathias and his sons.  They led a small group of Jewish men to rise up against the 25,000 soldiers of the Syrian/Greek army.

When the Jewish priests entered the Temple to re-dedicate it and light the Menorah, they found only one bottle of undefiled oil enough to last just one day.

Miraculously, that tiny supply of oil lasted eight full days. 

This second miracle gave the priests enough time to create more sanctified oil to keep the Temple Menorah burning 24 hours a day.

jpeg
The miracle of the Menorah oil lasting for eight days is commemorated by
eating a variety of foods cooked in oil, including delicious sufganiot (donuts).

Over 100 years later, Yeshua stood at the Holy Temple on Hanukkah when He was asked directly, "Are you the Messiah?"

"Then came the Feast of Dedication (Hanukkah) at Jerusalem.  It was winter and Yeshua (Jesus) was in the Temple area walking in Solomon’s Colonnade.

"The Jews gathered around Him, saying, 'How long will you keep us in suspense?  If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.'”  (John 10:22–24)

On that Hanukkah, Yeshua confirmed to those asking that He is the Messiah, the Shepherd of Israel.

Other verses confirm that He is the Light of the World (John 8:12) and also that through Him we can be lights shining in the darkness of these Last Days (Philippians 2:15).

jpeg
A little boy smiles in the light of the hanukkiah (eight-branched menorah).

We will be thinking of YOU Tonight as we light
the first candle on the hanukkiah.

May your holiday season be illuminated with the

Light of the WorldYeshua HaMashiach.

phkrause

While not personally involved, it would be inappropriate for me to give a Jewish based blessing for this or any of the holidays in their annual calendar.  

However, my wanting to learn more about the present ways of those who claim to be living the Jewish way of life in their communities keeps me alert to all that's being posted by you, Peter.

images2.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • Members

What Does "Maccabee" Mean?

The word Maccabee has become synonymous with the small band of Jewish freedom fighters who freed Judea from the Syrian-Greek occupiers during the Chanukah saga in the Second Temple period (read about the Maccabees here).

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/chanukah/article_cdo/aid/3860786/jewish/What-Does-Maccabee-Mean.htm

phkrause

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/chanukah/article_cdo/aid/102911/jewish/What-Is-Hanukkah.htm

Chanukah (Hanukkah) starts on the Hebrew calendar date of 25 Kislev, and lasts for eight days.

The Hebrew word Chanukah means “dedication,” and is thus named because it celebrates the rededication of the Holy Temple. Also spelled Hanukkah the Hebrew word is actually pronounced with a guttural, “kh” sound, kha-nu-kah, not tcha-new-kah.

In the second century BCE, the Holy Land was ruled by the Seleucids (Syrian-Greeks), who tried to force the people of Israel to accept Greek culture and beliefs instead of mitzvah observance and belief in G‑d. Against all odds, a small band of faithful Jews, led by Judah the Maccabee, defeated one of the mightiest armies on earth, drove the Greeks from the land, reclaimed the Holy Temple in Jerusalem and rededicated it to the service of G‑d.

When they sought to light the Temple's Menorah (the seven-branched candelabrum), they found only a single cruse of olive oil that had escaped contamination by the Greeks. Miraculously, they lit the menorah and the one-day supply of oil lasted for eight days, until new oil could be prepared under conditions of ritual purity.

To date Chanukah will be :

2017:  December 12-December 20

• Members

Hanukkah: Celebrating 8 Differences that Make the Jewish People Unique

Get into the Hanukkah spirit with this fun video! Pay especial attention to how he pronounces the "ch!"

http://www.aish.com/h/c/mm/Hanukkah-Celebrating-8-Differences-that-Make-the-Jewish-People-Unique.html?s=mm

phkrause

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Wishing you and yours a blessed Chanukah as you

celebrate the God of miracles, victory and light.

May your holiday be filled with the love and joy of

Yeshua (Jesus) – the Light of the World.

Yeshua spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world.

The one who follows Me will no longer walk in darkness,

but will have the light of life.” ―John 8:12

phkrause

• Members

The Obligation to Illuminate the World

Chanukah, the Festival of Lights, recalls the victory—more than 2100 years ago—of a militarily weak but spiritually strong Jewish people over the mighty forces of a ruthless enemy that had overrun the Holy Land and threatened to engulf the land and its people in darkness.

https://www.chabad.org/holidays/chanukah/article_cdo/aid/3164652/jewish/Illuminating-the-World.htm

phkrause

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Happy Chanukah to all!!

Probably my favorite holiday because of what it stands for!!

phkrause

• phkrause changed the title to Chanukah
  • Members

Happy Chanukah!!

Chanukah begins Sunday evening, December 18, and continues through Monday, December 26

phkrause