ClubAdventist is back!

Zuni Waffle Garden

teresaq

Appreciate the links. I've thought in the past about using a post-hole digger to cut 1-2 ft deep holes in marginal soil, then backfill with good soil, but keep the top of the good soil lower than ground level.

A person could make concrete dividers to use in the waffle beds, thus making them more permanent, but still movable. I like the waffle beds methods of conserving water better than the kugel beds. Seems like there might be too much water in the waffle beds during the rainy season. Of course, a person could use different types of beds at different times of the year for different crops. Or maybe a combination of two or more methods in one bed, such as rotting wood underneath a waffle bed.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

• 2 weeks later...

From now on, I think I am going to avoid above-ground planting, such as pots or raised beds. I'm thinking that the rotting wood in the hugel beds tends to act like a sponge. While roots tend to not penetrate hard clay, which doesn't really hold much water, they dive right in to the moist, soft decaying wood.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

Exactly. As I understand it anyway. Who would have thought rotting wood is a sponge holding water? People report still needing to water some in the worst heat areas but say they still see benefits to hugelkulturs as opposed to regular gardening.

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790