• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nicodema

• ChildofChrist

• Shirley

• bevin

FROM MY STUDY....SABBATH SCHOOL LESSON #5...

HAS AN ERRONEOUS INTERPRETATION ON SUNDAY'S PART.

I BASE THIS UPON DA P. 196 AND SDA COMMENTARY VOL 5 PAGE 943

AND REALLY SIMPLE SCRIPTURAL INTERPRETATION HERMANEUTICS FROM THE CONTEXT.

I'm a bit confused here. Can someone help me please? What is the geographical relationship between Nazareth and Galillee? Is not Jesus from Nazareth? Why is he called "the man of Galillee"?

Help me out here please. smile.gif Thanks.

"After such knowledge, what forgiveness?" -- T.S. Eliot

Quote:

FROM MY STUDY....SABBATH SCHOOL LESSON #5...

HAS AN ERRONEOUS INTERPRETATION ON SUNDAY'S PART.

I BASE THIS UPON DA P. 196

DA p. 196:

"The Galileans who returned from the Passover brought back the report of the wonderful works of Jesus. The judgment passed upon His acts by the dignitaries at Jerusalem opened His way in Galilee. Many of the people lamented the abuse of the temple and the greed and arrogance of the priests. They hoped that this Man, who had put the rulers to flight, might be the looked-for Deliverer. Now tidings had come that seemed to confirm their brightest anticipations. It was reported that the prophet had declared Himself to be the Messiah.

"But the people of Nazareth did not believe on Him. For this reason, Jesus did not visit Nazareth on His way to Cana. The Saviour declared to His disciples that a prophet has no honor in his own country. Men estimate character by that which they themselves are capable of appreciating. The narrow and worldly-minded judged of Christ by His humble birth, His lowly garb, and daily toil. They could not appreciate the purity of that spirit upon which was no stain of sin."

More thoughts from DA:

"But He knew also that the father had, in his own mind, made conditions concerning his belief in Jesus. Unless his petition should be granted, he would not receive Him as the Messiah. While the officer waited in an agony of suspense, Jesus said, 'Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.' "

I wonder how many times we have prevented God from doing miracles to help us by attaching conditions to them like this. "God please heal my child, and please do so in order to make my non-believing spouse believe ..." that sort of thing. Essentially acting out ourselves, "by proxy," the part of the one unwilling to believe unless they see signs and wonders. I know I've done it before ...

Quote:

What is the geographical relationship between Nazareth and Galillee? Is not Jesus from Nazareth? Why is he called "the man of Galillee"?

Nazareth is a city (town) in Galillee wich is a province north of Smaria. Jesus preached in the biginning of His ministry in Galillee. Of course, you know that Jesus spent His youth in Narareth after He returned from Egypt as a child.

Are there any superintendents reading this post?

February helps suggest a sabbath school theme song with a cheer and pom poms. (give me an S, give me an A, give me a B).

Does anyone intend on using this song, with clapping, bells? pompoms?

The intention is getting people out of their seats and putting a smile on their faces.

Quote:

Are there any superintendents reading this post?

February helps suggest a sabbath school theme song with a cheer and pom poms. (give me an S, give me an A, give me a
B)

The intention is getting people out of their seats and putting a smile on their faces.

I put smiles on the faces in sabbath school by leading a competent and lively lesson study. They leave knowing that their time was well spent. More than half the class was involved in a cognitive and audible way last sabbath.

I think that in using the Program Helps you pick and choose the suggestions that are suitable to your Sabbath School. In some Sabbath Schools pom poms, etc. may be suitable while in my home Sabbath School they are not. If I was the superintendent that week I probably would not use them. However, that does not make them wrong to use. I think my Sabbath School just would not be interested.

Quote:

February helps suggest a sabbath school theme song with a cheer and pom poms. (give me an S, give me an A, give me a
B)

Good grief, I hope not. confused.gif That idea does not appeal to me in the least. Wanna see me smile? Nurture my spirit with bread from heaven. Include me in the discussion and give the Lord 30-60 seconds to shine through me so I can feel useful somehow and like the gifts He has chosen graciously to give me are not going to waste.

That will make me smile.

Was this "helps" suggestion offered for the Junior age-group class, or are these people really that far out of touch? Inquiring minds want to know. ..... shocked.gif

Nico--I agree with you there. I haven't been to adult SS in a long time, but the helps for the lower divisions have that kind of program "advice". Which is why our church's children's divisions don't use the GC curriculum--they are trivial and really talk down to the kids. They are afraid to challenge the children to actually think. I am Primary leader and used to be Kindergarten assistant (and have two children in the K division) and have to conclude that the persons writing the "official" program haven't ever challenged their students to think about the Bible. frown.gif

(sorry this is off topic, but I just had to add my $0.02 worth)

M

OK JimBob, here is an opinion. Albeit, admittedly, a shallow one on a non-essential topic ...

I opened my quarterly and saw a disturbing image of a woman with her eyes bugged out and her hair flying out from her head as if she'd stuck her finger in a light socket. The caption read, "Wake up your Sabbath School!"

Now, I'm all in favor of the caption's sentiment -- a dreary, soporific SS is a real drag to a lively soul like me who wants to get all into the Word and DISCUSS things and LEARN things. BUT I found the image disturbing. For me that is saying a lot so I don't say this lightly. It was truly disturbing and I did NOT like it. Not one bit. I'm a bit perplexed at my own reaction, to be perfectly honest. The best way I can describe how I feel is to simply say I just don't feel like a picture like that belongs in the quarterly. A better one would have been of people participating in lively discussion with truly INTERESTED and PONDERING expressions, or of the SS all DOING something productive together as a group. I just didn't like "whack lady" as an illustration to accompany the notion of "waking up your sabbath school." I don't think God's definition of being awake means bug-eyed with Medusa hair -- but that's all words after-the-fact, i.e., my own attempt to explain to myself a reaction IN myself which I don't completely understand.

All I know is I want that picture struck. Now. Yesterday. I don't want it in my quarterly. So color me numb/weird/prude/zealot/whatever. I found it offensive and I have no idea why and thus NO ability to explain it or justify it. frown.gif I just didn't like it. confused.gif

Hmmmm.

The title of this weeks lesson is...

"THE STRUGGLE TO BE REAL"

Do you think the quarterly author for your quarterly is struggling too much??

Do you want to tell them to "GET REAL" ???

What if the picture was of a man?

MUST ANALYZE>>MUST ANALYZE>>>what was obnoxious/insulting/offending....??

the hairdo or the eyes or the gimmick? Maybe tells about the messenger...or what the messenger thinks of the audience??

The church has about one hour a week to counter the sensational/ secular humanistic message and brainwashing of the system of the world.

The suggestion to wake up the class...is it for the teacher?

Since it got in the quarterly...does the implication mean something like the title of this thread topic??

For perspective....remember that the prophets used some strange/abstract ways to get their listeners attention and point across.

Well, I understand the cartoon...there just needs to be some training or something substantive past the goal of a

WAKE UP CALL.

Also..it is part of the norm these days to use hyperbole in communication.

You are not using the usual quarterly..maybe the cornerstone or collegiate?

Wanted to share what happened last week in class.

On Nic and the Samaritan women.

Several of the class helped read 20 verses in chapter 3 and 30 verses in chapter 4

Since ch 3 included John 3:16 I asked of the members what their favorite bible verse was and 4 shared.

We talked about unconverted clergy, I read a quote from George Whitefield.. I mentioned the tough questions from that thread on this site.

we got into despised groups in contemporary society and talked about racism amd prejudice. we covered what grace is...I read a moving short story about a nerd who was considering suicide...I shared about what true worship was from the Desire of Ages ...since ch 4 deals with worship..

several people talked on the racism issue..since the class is multiracial..

more than 1/2 the class participated actively...

and we still had time to read more than 50 verses from the bible...

SO THERE!!!!! grin.gif

JESUS WAS LIFTED UP..AS A LOVING, UNDERSTANDING, APPROACHABLE GOD

I DON'T MESS AROUND WHEN I LEAD A CLASS

THE NERD STORY

One day, when I was a freshman in high school, I saw a kid from my class was walking home from school. His name was Kyle. It looked like he was carrying all of his books. I thought to myself, "Why would anyone bring home all his books on a Friday? He must really be a nerd." I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game with my friends tomorrow afternoon), so I shrugged my shoulders and went on. As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward him. They ran at him, knocking all his books out of his arms and tripping him so he landed in the dirt. His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about ten

feet from him. He looked up and I saw this terrible sadness in his eyes. My heart went out to him. So, I jogged over to him and as he crawled around looking for his glasses, and I saw a tear in his eye. As I handed him his glasses, I said, "Those guys are jerks. They really should get lives." He

looked at me and said, "Hey thanks!" There was a big smile on his face. It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude. I helped him pick up his books, and asked him where he lived. As it turned out, he lived near me, so I asked him why I had never seen him before. He said he had gone to

private school before now. I would have never hung out with a private school kid before. We talked all the way home, and I carried some of his books. He turned out to be a pretty cool kid. I asked him if he wanted to play a little football with my friends. He said yes. We hung out all weekend and the more I got to know Kyle, the more I liked him, and my friends thought the same of him. Monday morning came, and there was Kyle with the

huge stack of books again. I stopped him and said,

"Boy, you are gonna really build some serious muscles with this pile of books everyday!" He just laughed and handed me half the books. Over the next four years, Kyle and I became best friends. When we were seniors, we began to think about college. Kyle decided on Georgetown, and I was going to Duke. I knew that we would always be friends, that the miles would never be a problem. He was going to be a doctor, and I was going for business on a football scholarship. Kyle was valedictorian of our class. I teased him all the time about being a nerd. He had to prepare a speech for graduation.

I was so glad it wasn't me having to get up there and speak. Graduation day, I saw Kyle. He looked great. He was one of those guys that really found himself during high school. He filled out and actually looked good in glasses.

He had more dates than I had and all the girls loved him. Boy, sometimes I was jealous.

Today was one of those days. I could see that he was nervous about his speech. So, I smacked him on the back and said, "Hey, big guy, you'll be great!" He looked at me with one of those looks (the really grateful one) and smiled. "Thanks," he said.

As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and began. "Graduation is a time to thank those who helped you make it through those tough years. Your parents, your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach...but mostly your friends. I am here to tell all of you that being a friend to someone is the best gift you can give them. I am going to tell you a story." I just looked at my friend with disbelief as he told the story of the first day we met. He had planned to kill himself over the weekend. He talked of how he had cleaned out his locker so his Mom wouldn't have to do it later and was carrying his stuff home. He looked hard at me and gave me

a little smile. "Thankfully, I was saved. My friend saved me from doing the unspeakable." I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome,

popular boy told us all about his weakest moment. I saw his Mom and dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful smile. Not until that moment did I realize it's depth. Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life. For better or for worse.

God puts us all in each other's lives to impact one another in some way. Look for God in others.

That's the second time that story has made me cry. Is it copyrighted? Are you the author? If not, do you know who is?

Thank you for sharing it with us.

WayneV

Just remember these words of warning, for they will come to pass all too soon:

If you are ever flying through the desert and your canoe breaks down, remember that it takes three pancakes to lift the doghouse, because there ain't nary a bone in ice cream!

Wayne,

I am not the author..I read this is sabbath school class last sabbath and started choking up during the speech part..sheeshh..really moving isn't it..??

I read it on another Christian site forum and copied it to print out to read in class..

since the lesson dealt with despised groups and nerds are in a way despised at schools..I read it in class during the discussion on the 4th ch of John.

Quote:

THE NERD STORY

God puts us all in each other's lives to impact one another in some way. Look for God in others.

Thanks, JimBob, for taking the time to write that story down. I plan to email it to a few close to me. Some times the theology of love gets in the way of how my heart really feels and needs to respond.

Blessings.

Lift Jesus up!!

Lift Jesus up!!

• 4 weeks later...

On sabbath, went to visit my old home church and sat in the larger ss class..

Did my usual adding to the teacher's comments..

When toward the latter part of the ss hour I mentioned about the Passion movie and the poll in my #113768 post on page 2 of the Mel Gibson's Passion of Christ thread...heads turned...this really got their attention...was like..the sabbath school was BORING HO HUM until MOVIE TIME!!!

Since the lesson was about the "Good shepherd"...we discussed bad shepherds too. Mentioned the statistics in the 2nd table

Also about who killed Jesus..and the teacher read in John how he lays down his life willingly and nobody could kill Jesus before the time even if they tried..

The most participation came when the movie was discussed

"Hooray for Hollywood"...sheesh!

what happened in your class?

Any movie talk?

Any gay and lesbian marriage talk?

we had a very active class...

Some remember the Sabbath School survey records about daily lesson study, sharing one's faith, works of charity, items turned into Dorcas or whatever.

I am thinking of bugging the sabbath school superintendent to make out a QUARTERLY survey sheet..can be anonymous...that would be turned in and reviewed...it would have something like.

Do you look at your SS lesson

before the class..??

Answers - Most of the time...usually ...hardly ever..what SS lesson?

Quote:

before the class..??

grin.gif Good questions. Personally, I will open and study my lesson 4 to 6 times a week. It will depend on where I plan on attending church for that Sabbath.

One of my favorite substitutes for lesson quarterly, Bible and SOP study is to listen to sign on to 3ABN with DB, &/or Pineknoll SS study. Some times I even listen to one or the other twice...because I'm afraid of missing something especially important or I enjoyed a certain thought and wish to make notes in the quarterly to share in class.

I find that helps me to participate more than anything else. Then on the other hand...some classes have people that know it all. Not that I don't enjoy listening to them as well...it's just that any comment I might make seems unimportant. However...once in a while, I do manage to share something really worthwhile. cool.gif

Wakan Tanka Kici Un

~~Child of Christ~~

Quote:

before the class..??

grin.gif Good questions. Personally, I will open and study my lesson 4 to 6 times a week. It will depend on where I plan on attending church for that Sabbath.

One of my favorite substitutes for lesson quarterly, Bible and SOP study is to listen to sign on to 3ABN with DB, &/or Pineknoll SS study. Some times I even listen to one or the other twice...because I'm afraid of missing something especially important or I enjoyed a certain thought and wish to make notes in the quarterly to share in class.

I find that helps me to participate more than anything else. Then on the other hand...some classes have people that know it all. Not that I don't enjoy listening to them as well...it's just that any comment I might make seems unimportant. However...once in a while, I do manage to share something really worthwhile. cool.gif

Wakan Tanka Kici Un

~~Child of Christ~~

Well.

Did your class spend most of the time reviewing the Passion of Christ?

Just wait for the sequel...

PASSION OF CHRIST-THE REVENGE OF MARY or

PASSION OF CHRIST- SATAN STRIKES BACK or

PASSION OF CHRIST- CHAPTER 13 or

PASSION OF CHRIST-THE FINAL EPISODE or

PASSION OF CHRIST- THE 2ND COMING IS PAYBACK