ClubAdventist is back!

Scary Town Hall meeting

lazarus

• Moderators

Our conference has the practice of holding town hall meetings in its various regions once a year. I make it my practice to attend because It's good too see what members are thinking and feeling conference wide.

The first question at our town hall last week was:

Is it the true that the Conference is telling its Pastors NOT to preach the 3 angels message?

The next comment/question was:

I heard the Catholic bought the Review and Herald. Is this true?

It went down hill from there. It was sad to hear the litany of conspiracy theories, accusations, rambling diatribes, and weird obsessions. The President had to ask for the mic to be cut on the last questioner who was reading from a book. I think it was an organised attempt to "take over" the meeting but It was a sad display. Some Adventists are crazy!

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

It went down hill from there. It was sad to hear the litany of conspiracy theories, accusations, rambling diatribes, and weird obsessions. The President had to ask for the mic to be cut on the last questioner who was reading from a book. I think it was an organised attempt to "take over" the meeting but It was a sad display. Some Adventists are crazy!

All foretold.

I saw that we are now in the shaking time. Satan is working with all his power to wrest souls from the hand of Christ and cause them to trample underfoot the Son of God. An angel slowly and emphatically repeated these words: “Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden underfoot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?”
1 Test 430.1

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

In my opinion these are fear driven behaviors.

18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

• Like 2

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

In my opinion these are fear driven behaviors.

18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

I have no computer sound so probably missed many points made, however I would like to suggest to point out the reality of a hole in the road ahead should make one thankful God was so willing to keep us from being caught off guard.

3While they are saying, "Peace and safety!" then destruction will come upon them suddenly like labor pains upon a woman with child, and they will not escape. 4But you, brethren, are not in darkness, that the day would overtake you like a thief; 5for you are all sons of light and sons of day. We are not of night nor of darkness;…1 Thess 5

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

Our conference has the practice of holding town hall meetings in its various regions once a year. I make it my practice to attend because It's good too see what members are thinking and feeling conference wide.

The first question at our town hall last week was:

Is it the true that the Conference is telling its Pastors NOT to preach the 3 angels message?

It went down hill from there. It was sad to hear the litany of conspiracy theories, accusations, rambling diatribes, and weird obsessions. The President had to ask for the mic to be cut on the last questioner who was reading from a book. I think it was an organised attempt to "take over" the meeting but It was a sad display. Some Adventists are cr                                    

Incredible!!!   Who is feeding these people this kind of garbage?  If this is driven  by fear, this doesn't say much about their relationship with the one who said,, "Fear not" many many times!  The same One also said, "When you see these coming to pass, lift up your heads for your redemption is drawing near."  Sounds like the undershepherds have a job to do.

• Administrators

You ask for the source of this sort of nonsense.  In my experience that often tracks back to independent "ministries".  Now in the Internet age that is simply multiplied by a legion of rumor mongers, independent websites, bloggers and itinerant "preachers" that have little or no accountability to anyone but themselves.  At least in the old days they had to drum up the means to buy paper and ink and postage and spend time and resources handing out person to person their photocopied pamphlets. But now with a click of a button they spam the world.  And also in the old days you could quietly dump the paper in the garbage and help prevent its spread. But it now finds a permanent home accessible to all the search engines for uncritical minds to suck up as if it is reliable information.  

• Like 3

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Moderators

Incredible:  Not really.  On some level that is seen in most of the SDA forums, to include this one.

• Like 1

Gregory

Incredible:  Not really.  On some level that is seen in most of the SDA forums, to include this one.

It is only a few radical  SDA's  that fall for this......

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Borrowed something from my son who posted elsewhere,seems to fit here and other places on this forum....

If the strongest and most effective case you can make for your view of the Bible is to ridicule and hold up for laughter your fellow Christian brothers and sisters, perhaps it's your view of the Bible that needs to be reexamined. Jesus never stooped to such petty and childish antics.

Scriptures make an incredible case for wanting to follow our Lord. Caricaturing fellow Christians in order to argue against them as a straw horse demeans those scriptures.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

It is only a few radical  SDA's  that fall for this......

Are you referring to the two underlined questions underlined as being so outlandish only a few Adventists believe a possible reality they could be true? Considering the plethora of varied interpretations submitted by the many, when only One is capable of revealing what is true, the need of asking for the Holy Spirit to open our understanding seems the best option to choose.

13"But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth....John16

13"If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?"....Luke 11

Lift Jesus up!!

Are you referring to the two underlined questions underlined as being so outlandish only a few Adventists believe a possible reality they could be true? Considering the plethora of varied interpretations submitted by the many, when only One is capable of revealing what is true, the need of asking for the Holy Spirit to open our understanding seems the best option to choose.

It is only a few radical....... fill in the blanks when it is any other religion/group. If it concerns what is viewed as ultra conservative SDA's or fundamentalists then it is "the crazies"

You can easily find some that fall into those two groups  being chastised or ridiculed  while at the same time find the same being chastised for bashing other religions or beliefs. Just find it interesting how that works.

I don't know any that attended that town hall but to ask the same question  that has been asked here "by some" what would the  impact if they were to read they are part of "the crazies"? Do they count as important in God's eyes as do the Catholics,Islam or ???

Personally I think in time to come some of what the scoffers so freely scoff at and ridicule will come back to bite.

Those issues that many see as unimportant or a good thing from a christian perspective may look entirely different in what is to come

• Moderators

Incredible!!!   Who is feeding these people this kind of garbage?  If this is driven  by fear, this doesn't say much about their relationship with the one who said,, "Fear not" many many times!  The same One also said, "When you see these coming to pass, lift up your heads for your redemption is drawing near."  Sounds like the undershepherds have a job to do.

We have had this kind of town hall in other parts of the conference before, mainly in the less urban areas. I haven't attended but i have been told about town halls that were dominated by issues to do with Jesuits, Catholic take-overs of our institutions etc. This  is the first time in my experience that the whole town hall, in my area, was dominated by these kind of issues. Is this spreading? As a conspiracy guy myself then I shouldn't be surprised. 

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

You ask for the source of this sort of nonsense.  In my experience that often tracks back to independent "ministries".  Now in the Internet age that is simply multiplied by a legion of rumor mongers, independent websites, bloggers and itinerant "preachers" that have little or no accountability to anyone but themselves.  At least in the old days they had to drum up the means to buy paper and ink and postage and spend time and resources handing out person to person their photocopied pamphlets. But now with a click of a button they spam the world.  And also in the old days you could quietly dump the paper in the garbage and help prevent its spread. But it now finds a permanent home accessible to all the search engines for uncritical minds to suck up as if it is reliable information.  

I watch a few independent ministries such as Amazing Facts, Amazing Discoveries, occasionally BETV,  but I've never heard what Lazarus brought up.

• Moderators

Well, it is to me.  I've heard some wild rumors before, but not these.  For one thing, some if not most of these wild rumors can be easily verified, refuted, and ignored.  Just several days ago, a friend in CA who has her TV turned on CNN much of the day, called my wife to tell her France had fallen!  I told my wiife that was ridiculous.  All she had to do was to turn the TV on to verify it!

• Administrators

Amazing Facts isn't an independent ministry. It is part of the denomination.

There is quite a range of independent ministries. Some can truly be described as supporting minististies that work with the Church. Then at the other extreme are the ones which cannot be in any way described as supportive of the Church, nor working with the Church. They are often critical of a variety of aspect of the Church. In fact they have been described as critical ministries, since that seems their predominant reason to exist. They are often born of some fundamental disagreement or departure from teaching or doctrine of the Church.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Moderators

Amazing Facts isn't an independent ministry. It is part of the denomination.

That's news to me.  When did it become part of the church?

• Administrators

Pretty much always has been, since the time of Joe Crews when it was a part of Chesapeake Conference.    It now comes under the Northern California Conference.  It is listed in the SDA Yearbook which lists only official SDA denominational entities - http://www.adventistyearbook.org/default.aspx?&page=ViewAdmField&Section=InstOtherEnt&Search=Amazing%20Facts&AdmFieldID=NCAC

• Moderators

Ah,, one of those things I believed to be true that was actually false!  I've always thought AF was in the same category as 3ABN and LLBN,  and that the only official church-sponsored entities were VOP, IIW, & HOPE.  I went to the link you provided. Why is the list so small?  But it was  just a list for the Northern Calif Conf.

Thanks for the info.

• Administrators

Correct.  I linked you directly to the NCC listing.  The print copy of the current Yearbook is over 700 pages.  That includes SDA entities worldwide.

• Administrators

The Yearbook does not include listing of individual local churches or elementary schools.  Secondary schools (including those that are K-12), colleges and universities are listed.