ClubAdventist is back!

DA can prosecute several pastors.

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

Jason Roberson, a pastor at the Vinelife Church in Boulder, Colorado pled guilty last year to sexual exploitation of a child, and stalking, and is serving a 2-year prison term.  

As the case developed, the DA filed misdemeanor charges for failure to report the sexual abuse to authorities against:  Robert Young, Walter Roberson, Michael Humbrecht, all Vinelife pastors and Edward Bennell and Warren Williams who were Vinelife Elders.  Humbrecht pled guilty and was given a 12-month deferred sentence.  The others challenged their prosecution on technical grounds.  A judge has now  ruled that the prosecution may proceed. 

NOTES:

1)  From my view of this case, I do believe that at least three (3) the remaining four may (?) have further grounds to challenge prosecution.   However, they may not have such grounds, based upon both technical and Constitutional issues.     I simple do not know enough about the case to decide.

2) Matters like this are governed by the State laws, which often differ from Stated to State.  IOW, the governing law on Oregon differs in some aspects from that of Colorado. 

3) My reading of the 1st Amendment, and applicable case law, is that clergy are exempt for reporting crimes in which a confession was made to them as part of an attempt to get right with God.  However, a confession that was made as part of an administrative process does not have that Constitutional protection.  In this event the requirement to report would depend upon the local governing statute.  I am aware that some peopoe differ with me on this, but this remains as my personal position.

4) I also think that there may  (?)  be some other technical grounds which might prevent prosecution of the remaining people.  However, I do not know enough about the case to state my thought on this.

Gregory