ClubAdventist is back!

Would you wear Denim Jeans and a T Shirt to your Sabbath Service?

Sojourner

Would you wear Denin Jeans and a T Shirt to your Sabbath Service?   

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just interested to know your views on Denim Jeans and T Shirts in church?

In my own fellowship I was asked to lead the opening prayer from the pulpit, I wondered if perhaps I should wear a suit & tie because that is generally what people do on the platform. I decided not to and wore my usual Denim Jeans and surfwear T shirt simply because that is how I turn up to church every other time and thought it seemed perhaps hypocritical to specifically dress up for the platform.

I am however interested in your own thoughts on the idea and what you might do, and what you would expect others to do?

I don't see why it would be hypocritical.  One should always dress for occasion, and it's really a matter of both personal and institutional preference.   You go to an interview and you generally wear something less casual.   If you present a tech keynote, people generally purposefully dress down since it's a trend.   On the other hand, if you pitch a financial report, you dress up. 

I'd like to say that dress doesn't matter, but it simply not the case, given some cultural expectations in any given context.  

• Like 2

I have been to churches where one of the musicians always wore jeans when leading the worship in song. 

That said, I recently was at a job club where people were given advice on how to go to a job interview. Jeans were a definite no-no. Makes me wonder why we would do earthly things all dressed up but think it is probably OK to go to church without a thought as to what we wear.

Now this same town, you go past a funeral home where there is a large crowd, and half the people there are in jeans and a t-shirt at a funeral!

So, while there is no real commandment, and there often local customs, and really dressing up may even be a violation of recommendation to dress modestly, you have to really look at what you have to wear and exactly what were you going to church for anyway? If able, I would never feel comfortable dressing in jean and t-shirt for church, but then I would never think to put someone else down that came to church in jeans and t-shirt.

I was reading a discussion of modesty in dress and the writer made the point that if you wear clothing bought at an anymore expensive place than Walmart, you were immodestly dressed. The author suggested that ideally a Christian should spend no more money on their clothing than what they would pay at the local Salvation Army. Actually, he recommended shopping at a second hand thrift store.

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

• Moderators

These things are social signals, so it depends on the social context. I'd hope in general that your clothes wouldn't cross your mind at church. So they should be physically comfortable, and similar enough to those of others that you don't feel as though you stick out like a sore thumb. Jeans at a suit church or suit at a jeans church won't work so well.

God doesn't care, I don't think: "man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart". That is to say, the clothes are relevant only as they are reflections of the heart... and hypocrisy before God is impossible.

Truth is important

• Administrators

My experience is very consistent with what Bravus said. Currently I divide my time between two very different Adventist churches. One is quite traditional and a suit with tie is very much the norm for most in attendance and certainly for being on the platform. However, the early service is more relaxed and informal and I feel comfortable wearing business casual (no tie). The other church is much more relaxed about such things with a contemporary worship format. People attend in the full range of attire the predominent is nice causal, but in summer, shorts T-shirts and flip-flops are not uncommon. But there are always folks very dressed up with suits and often traditional ethnic clothes. People up front tend to dress less casual, but often musicians are causually dressed. The pastors often speak dressed casually, including jeans. I always wear casual clothes and sometimes jeans, especially if I ride my motorcycle to that church.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

I would never wear a suit to a church event, and in fact, don't even own one. If I were pastor of a small church, I might rip out the pews, get rid of the piano and organ and pulpit, and bring in comfortable lawn chairs for the simplest of meetings. No fanfare, pomp and circumstance, or sermons, just the reading of scripture and sharing in small groups.

Church culture, including the dress code, has very little to do with the Kingdom of YHVH.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

• Moderators

We should welcome all who want to worship/learn/develop a relationship with Christ to come as they are.   As such it is O.K. for platform staff to dress in a manner that reflects the variety of people who are welcome.  At the congregation that I attend people on the platform will be dressed in jeans, suits, ties and other.  So also will be the congregation.

Gregory

• Members

for myself, I'm of the opinion that when I come into the presence of God at a pre-appointed time that I want to dress in my best... it's a matter of respect and honor...

I understand not all share that opinion..

• Like 3

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

My thoughts go to the time of Christ and when he was out teaching to the people, at times large crowds.

I am thinking that 'what you wear' is a much more modern concept. For me, it is what ever people are comfortable in. I have no issues with either way.

• Administrators

for myself, I'm of the opinion that when I come into the presence of God at a pre-appointed time that I want to dress in my best... it's a matter of respect and honor...

I understand not all share that opinion..

I agree Pam... even if your best is "bargain basement" I feel it is disrespectful to not have them clean, pressed, etc.  I have seen lots of blue jeans (denim) in various churches; If one is attending a Cowboy Church then by all means denim.    Even then they can be pressed,&  clean.  As one fellow said, "these are my very best glad rags." 

Jesus lived in a different time, society, etc. 

To paraphrase Zig Ziegler, "If you wanta feel better about yourself, Get Up, Clean Up, fix up and things will Look Up,   I submit that perhaps when we put on our Sabbath Best for church that we will experience an uplift in mental & spiritual health.

• Like 3

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Church culture, including the dress code, has very little to do with the Kingdom of YHVH.

8“Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited did not deserve to come. 9So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’ 10So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, the bad as well as the good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests.

11“But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. 12He asked, ‘How did you get in here without wedding clothes, friend?’ The man was speechless.

13“Then the king told the attendants, ‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

14“For many are invited, but few are chosen.”....Matthew 22

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

To paraphrase Zig Ziegler, "If you wanta feel better about yourself, Get Up, Clean Up, fix up and things will Look Up,   I submit that perhaps when we put on our Sabbath Best for church that we will experience an uplift in mental & spiritual health.

My mother referred to this as "Anything is good enough for the Lord,God should be grateful I showed up without expecting me to change my clothes for the occasion".

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Some really interesting points so far!

In a way I feel that getting into having to wear your absolute best clothes for church because its in some way for G-d is just theology I cant agree with, it follows in my mind that I would then have to dress like that every day because I don't just meet with G-d at church meetings and feel that its an everyday relationship not just a weekly visit on Sabbath.

If I fall into the ideal of dressing up for church, what becomes my best, - Louis Vuitton, Armani, Hugo Boss perhaps?

Perhaps in a way I feel conflicted by the movie "Leap of Faith" where Steve Martin portrays a pentecostal healer. In it one of the lines is "always dress better than they do". I don't doubt that is factual for many in the Prosperity Gospel movement and I am aware that Steve Martin went along to several of these meetings to mould his character for the film.

Perhaps its also true that my own attitude becomes then an over reaction to this ideal. Interesting thoughts to ponder anyway!

• Administrators

Just interested to know your views on Denim Jeans and T Shirts in church?

I am however interested in your own thoughts on the idea and what you might do, and what you would expect others to do?

I like dressing formal at Church, nice skirt, hose, and dress shoes.  but honestly it is merely my personal tradition.  when at church in the woods i am all jeans and t-shirt, or sweat shirt.

In summer i go more informal, long straight summer dresses with slits, like i wore in the SW desert.  

My church is a more informal church with street folk welcome to services as they are.  Our Pastor preached in jeans last week and it was great.

You would be welcome to pray for the service in jeans and t-shirt here.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

I think there could be a wide latitude in what people wear to church. However, if you dress up well for secular events and wear jeans to church or other casual wear, it may say something how you prioritize your worship experience. With the possible exception of wearing a tux to a wedding (and similar level of dress for women), I would think you would never dress better than you dress to go to church.

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

Humans are born naked.

A Christian is ashamed of his sinful nakedness.

A Christian seeks to cover his shame.

Jesus died to cover the Christian's sinful nature.

When the Christian wears Christ's robe of righteousness, no one can see the denim or the wool, the polyester or the cotton. No one can see the wrinkles, or the wear and tear, the stains or the faded inks and dyes.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Perhaps more important than what we wear is what we think of what others wear and how we treat them as a result of what they wear.

Seems more consistent with what Scripture has to say on the matter. Jesus said, "Why worry about what you wear? Consider the lilies..." And both Paul and Peter admonished the believers that better than fancy attire is a right attitude and postive conduct. The context of Paul's comment was worship.

• Like 3

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

"Why worry about what you wear? Consider the lilies..." And both Paul and Peter admonished the believers that better than fancy attire is a right attitude and postive conduct. The context of Paul's comment was worship.

The context of the scripture mentioned was being anxious about whether one has enough wherewithal to supply needed clothing.

22And He said to His disciples, “For this reason I say to you, do not worry about your life, as to what you will eat; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. 23“For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. 24“Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap; they have no storeroom nor barn, and yet God feeds them; how much more valuable you are than the birds! 25“And which of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life’s span? 26“If then you cannot do even a very little thing, why do you worry about other matters? 27“Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; but I tell you, not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. 28“But if God so clothes the grass in the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you? You men of little faith! 29“And do not seek what you will eat and what you will drink, and do not keep worrying. 30“For all these things the nations of the world eagerly seek; but your Father knows that you need these things. 31“But seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you. 32“Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom.....Luke 12

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

And for many, that is a real worry for them, even here in America. Maybe not whether they will have clothes at all but that if what clothes they will have will be acceptable in Church, especially when the indirect message is that one must where a nice suit and tie. They may not have dress clothes or what they have are obviously second hand, patched, somewhat dated, poor fitting or something like that. I know because I have experienced exactly that as a poor farm boy. Sometimes a person might just not feel like going to church because their clothes are not nearly as nice as most everyone else.

Jesus said we shouldn't worry about it. And I think it should be a part of our Christian conduct toward others to make them feel very welcome regardless of what clothes they wear to church. We shouldn't worry about it, nor should we create a worry barrier about it for others.

Just come as you are. We need to stop looking at a person's outside and consider their heart.

• Like 3

And for many, that is a real worry for them, even here in America. Maybe not whether they will have clothes at all but that if what clothes they will have will be acceptable in Church, especially when the indirect message is that one must where a nice suit and tie. They may not have dress clothes or what they have are obviously second hand, patched, somewhat dated, poor fitting or something like that. I know because I have experienced exactly that as a poor farm boy. Sometimes a person might just not feel like going to church because their clothes are not nearly as nice as most everyone else.

Jesus said we shouldn't worry about it. And I think it should be a part of our Christian conduct toward others to make them feel very welcome regardless of what clothes they wear to church. We shouldn't worry about it, nor should we create a worry barrier about it for others.

Just come as you are. We need to stop looking at a person's outside and consider their heart.

The question was 

Would you wear? .

Not do you make others feel unacceptable if they are not dressed as you consider appropriate.

Many of us experienced same, They may not have dress clothes or what they have are obviously second hand, patched, somewhat dated, poor fitting or something like that. I know because I have experienced exactly that as a poor farm boy

My brothers and I certainly did as most of our clothing was second hand. The best of what you have may be patched and or second hand.  We never wore clothes we did our farm chores in altho that may not have meant newer.

Whu does the assumption seem to be made if you do not have expensive church clothes you are somehow going to be made to feel unwelcome?

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

"man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart".

Jesus thought enough of us that He wore a seamless robe, I doubt from Goodwill, to meet those He wished to draw to Himself. I can't see a better reason to enter into the presence of the King of kings with the best I have available.

Lift Jesus up!!

As a general rule I agree fully with that but I'll have to admit when I attended a meeting where we (hopefully) expected to meet with Jesus and the pastor showed up unshaven, scruffy jeans, and t-shirt that looked like it had been stolen from a drunk, I was taken aback. He had a good reason since he had to travel two hours to get to whichever church he was preaching to, that Sabbath.

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

Pretty sure that a seamless robe wasn't a posh garment. One simple enough not to require a tailor, more like. I don't think Jesus used his style of dress to impress: indeed, the word says he 'had no beauty that people would desire him'.

• Like 2

Truth is important

We come to church to worship God, not just for social purpose.  He sacrificed His son's life for us.  Is it too much for us to show our utmost respect to God in the church by dressing up?  God looks inside of us not the outside.  Sure, but what is inside of you shows outside.  Why the people would dress up for a job interview or to the White House or to the Queen's Palace.  Is our God less respectful than those?  I am  sure not many of know who Amy Vanderbilt is, but it is a good source for etiquette in our society.  Most of all, see what Mrs. White said about the dress at the church if you respect her, at least her writing.  She said we should put aside a special dress for our Sabbath.  Did she mean the Denim Jean and the T-shirt!

• Moderators

I was a congregational pstor and about to baptize a woman.  Several of the female members to my church met with me and asked me to talk with her about he dress that she wore to church.  It did not meet their standards.

I asked them is they knew that the dress she wore to church was the only dress that she owned--it was the best that she had.

Their mouths dropped open. When one recovered, she looked at the others and said:  We are going to take her shopping.  She is going to  have more than one dress to wear.

Gregory