ClubAdventist is back!

What would you have done?

Gail

• Administrators

Yesterday on the way home from finishing work I stopped at the bank. Outside the bank sat a young man, thin, who started chatting. He asked me if I could take him for lunch because he was very hungry.

I replied that I did not have time at the moment but gave him $5, something I usually don't do. My usual response is to tell panhandlers that I use my debit card and don't carry cash.

But he asked for lunch. As he stretched out his arm to take the money I saw it was covered in scabs. This and his gaunt, pale complexion told me "crystal meth". He thanked me and I wished him a happy lunch.

Driving home I beat myself up for giving him money. He may well have had a hundred dollars in his pocket from begging... And why didn't I stay and chat with him for a while? At least tell him that God loves him or something?

Well, admittedly, there was some fear for my safety, fearing the unpredictable nature of an addict. I don't know enough about the cycle to figure out where in his using he was at. I have been at the same bank before when a client DID take a user across the street for lunch and the addict became belligerent and police had to be called, all while I was in the bank.

There was the thought that I was paying for his next dosage.

In the end I told myself that in his present state he would probably not live longer than I and all I did was a simple act of mercy. Part of the Mosaic law, which I have just read over, says that Israel was to give poor people anything they asked for, period. I have been thinking about the principle of the law, that God loves the poor no matter how they got there.

If it had been you, what would your response have been?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

Would've probably done the same. Its hard to know if they are honest as to asking for money, but I think about exactly the same as you. Does God want us to give no matter what we think!!

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

Well, as you know, hubby works for a homeless shelter/drug and rehab center. So our response now is different than it was before he went to work there. Before if we had the money we would hand it over with a "God Bless You"; now we tell them where they can get a meal--for free, and help if they want it.

But don't ever feel bad for giving money, especially if you felt led by God to do so. What they do with it is on them, not you.

• Like 2

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Members

you might want to start carrying gift certificates for McDonald's or another local restaurant...they're pretty cheap, and no worry about someone shooting up with a BigMac...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

Thanks! All the advice was good! Perhaps I might carry a bag of nuts with me all the time, and a juice or something. It is not much, but it should stave off the growlies somewhat and will keep until needed.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

I've been careful since I've seen a number of beggars that I had been familiar with in seeing in New York, to also find the same men begging in Oslo Norway, Jerusalem Israel and Tokyo. There were a number of them who have traveled more than I do. And also there was that story of the man who the policeman bought the shoes for since he was shoeless in the cold. As I recall it was later reported on the news that the guy was not homeless but had his apartment, a good deal of money in the bank and was again found out begging barefoot since that was his job and how he earned his income.  

• Administrators

In the past I did what Deb suggested and bought McDonalds gift certificates which I put inside a Steps to Christ or another book with the top sticking out so they can see that there is something inside.  Quite frankly I have no idea if they read the book, or used the gift certificate.  It was/is my hope that the beggar really needed the food:  Spiritual and physical.  

I said "in the past" because I don't recall seeing someone working the streets for several years. 

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Its easy to beat yourself up about what you should or should not have done after the event. The worry would be if you saw someone like that and just did not care less, yet the fact that you wanted to help and had thoughts and feelings afterwards over it is clear evidence of what G-d has done in your life.

I try not to give money but will give food from a local store to them directly. In my city between Anglicare, The Salvation Army and St Vincent De Paul, there are enough overnight beds in the mens shelters to ensure that they all have a roof over their head if they should desire it and I think that is an area that we can help with some financial support also to help target another area of the problem of being homeless as well as them being hungry and begging for food.

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, there really are angels out there. I have encountered a few over the years.

also remember the difference in sheep and goats from Jesus point of view