ClubAdventist is back!

Sunday as a Mark of Christian Unity

phkrause

• 4 weeks later...

John 19:30 Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. 31 Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to be a special Sabbath.

Luke 23:46 And Jesus, crying out with aloud voice, said, "Father, INTO YOUR HANDS I COMMIT MY SPIRIT." Having said this, He breathed His last....54 It was the preparation day, and the Sabbath was about to begin. 

Jesus cried out "It is finished"!  What was Christ referring to?

Rom 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. 9 Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. 10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son....

So, when Christ died, sinners were reconciled, that is justified, to God through Christ's life laid down in death. When did Christ's death occur?  Just prior to the Sabbath.  So sinners were justified to God by Christ's death. That's good news. 

Now turn to Hebrews 4:9 So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God (believers). 10 For the one who has entered His rest (accepted Christ's justification, i.e., the gospel/see Heb 4:2,3) has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His (work). 

Remember that Christ died just shortly before the Sabbath because it begins from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday.  The believer is to rest the Sabbath (the 7th-day) because God rested from His work.  What did God rest from on the 7th-day?  His work of redemption!  We were reconciled to God through the death of Christ.  We were legally justified that Sabbath over 2000 years ago because of God's work in Christ was finished.

So the 7th-day Sabbath points to God's perfect and finished work of redemption "in Christ".  Therefore it is a sign of justification by faith.  Sunday is not the day God rested from His redemption in Christ Jesus.  It has nothing do with God's finished work.

Edited by Robert

I modified the above and emailed it to the Lord's Day Alliance! Here's what I emailed:

On the cross Jesus said, "'It is finished.' With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.  Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to be a special Sabbath." John 19:30,31

Luke 23:46 states the same:  "And Jesus, crying out with aloud voice, said, 'Father, INTO YOUR HANDS I COMMIT MY SPIRIT.' Having said this, He breathed His last....54 It was the preparation day, and the Sabbath was about to begin. "

Jesus cried out "It is finished"!  What was Christ referring to?

Rom 5:8-10 states that "God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. 9 Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. 10...while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son...."

According to Paul we were reconciled to God through Christ's death. When did Christ's death occur?  Just prior to the 7th-day.

Now turn to Hebrews 4:9-10: "So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God (believers)."

"For the one who has entered His rest (accepted the gospel - see Heb 4:2,3) has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His."

From what did God rest on the Sabbath over 2000 years ago? Answer:

His complete and final work of redemption of of our fallen, sinful world in Christ Jesus.

According to Paul we who have accepted the gospel are to rest as God rested. Why?  Because outwardly, as a sign, we agree that God's work of redemption in Christ is a finished work.  Hence the 7th-day Sabbath is a weekly reminder that we stand justified by faith in doing and dying of Christ plus nothing

Therefore the Sabbath is really a sign of justification by faith.  Any other day (i.e., Sunday)  is a sign of justification by works because it is man-made.

Robert

Edited by Robert

• 2 weeks later...