ClubAdventist is back!

Woodchips to Build Soil and Conserve Water

teresaq

Soil examination after use of woodchips.

"It seemed the roots did best in soil that was about one-half wood chips!
Quite a surprise.

As another experiment, I had planted a couple seedlings above some wood-chip-only clumps in the soil that were about 3" deep and 5" diameter. The plant roots did not like growing into only wood chips and these plants didn't do as well.

Seeing how well roots did in "wood chip soil", has given me confidence to really go all out when digging in chips. I had wondered what would be too much. But it seems even 1/2 chips, 1/2 dirt is great for the plants.  If I had seen this before I prepared my 4 new hugel beds, I would have dug in even more wood chips."

• Like 1

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

• Moderators

If wood chips work, sawdust ought also to work.  That's what Mittleider recommended.  But I understand you have to use a lot of nitrogen with wood.

Soil examination after use of woodchips.

"It seemed the roots did best in soil that was about one-half wood chips!
Quite a surprise.

As another experiment, I had planted a couple seedlings above some wood-chip-only clumps in the soil that were about 3" deep and 5" diameter. The plant roots did not like growing into only wood chips and these plants didn't do as well.

Seeing how well roots did in "wood chip soil", has given me confidence to really go all out when digging in chips. I had wondered what would be too much. But it seems even 1/2 chips, 1/2 dirt is great for the plants.  If I had seen this before I prepared my 4 new hugel beds, I would have dug in even more wood chips."

​I wonder how much this has to do with the aeration of the soil that the chips provide.  In densely packed soil you will find very few earthworms and plants will not grow very will in it either.  I'd think that for this to work you would want less than a 50-50 mix of chips and soil.  I'd say something like 20% or so of wood chips.  It also may make a difference as to what kind of wood is used.  Ak wood with an open cellular structure such as pine or other soft woods may work better than a very fine-grained wood. 

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Forget all of the above and just plant in bales of straw.  You can look online for all the particulars.  Nuff Sed

Using a degradable slow nitrogen release material, ie wood chips, sawdust, bales of straw....is a good thing for the soil. If you combine grass  cliping

which will degrade quickly and provide nitrogen for the soil, so much the better...the slow releasing degrable material can alter the rate of nitrogen available to the plants. and slow the rate of  feeding the soil....Just feed the soil....it will feed your plants and your worms....and the more worms available, the better...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw