ClubAdventist is back!

Your favourite Father memories

Gail

• Administrators

What are your favourite memories or sayings that involve your dad?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

I've got a lot of fun memories of my Dad.

I was 3 1/2 years old and it was Christmastime.  My mom took me and my brother down to the department store to see Santa Claus.  I remember being in absolute AWE because Santa knew my name, and he knew exactly what I wanted for Christmas (a book).  It wasn't until years later that I finally figured out that Santa had been my Dad.   Then over the years, Dad played Santa for Portland-area high schools, community centers, and any place he was asked.

Another vivid memory I have is when Dad and I went hunting for a gold mine in the hills just west of here.  In the 1930's an old Indian would come into town with gold nuggets that he'd mined.  No one could ever find where it was, but it had to be fairly close, as he was always on foot.  Dad and I figured the mine had to be on the Round Top mountain.  So, one Sunday we decided to take my brother's big 14-passenger van out for a drive, and then decided to go up Round Top.  We got onto a deeply rutted logging trail winding up the mountainside, full of rocks and bushy overgrowth on either side.  We managed to break off one of the side mirrors as we chugged up the side of the mountain.  After 30 minutes we came to the top, where there was an old lookout tower.  But also on top of the mountain was a group of the notorious Outsiders Motorcycle club.  I don't know who was more shocked.... me and Dad, or the cyclists watching in disbelief as this big ol' van came around the rocky top.  LOL   Dad and I got out and looked around for a stream or any evidence of a mine, but it was so dry, nothing was evident.  After about 45 minutes, we decided we'd better head back home..... THEN we noticed we had a flat tire.  On top of the mountain.  With nobody by the cyclists looking at us.  Dad looked at me, and I looked at Dad.  Dad said, I hope your brother has a spare tire in the van.  I said, "I hope so too, because if he doesn't, I'm not the one who's going to walk back down the mountain and hitchhike into town."  LOL  Well, we did find a spare, got the tire changed, and made it back home.  I always wondered if my brother found out how the mirror got busted.

• Like 3

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

What are your favourite memories or sayings that involve your dad?

That He reached down into my self-destructive life with His love to show me I am worth something.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• Members

One thing I remember, because my Mom used to tell me all the time, was that he needed shoes, but he used his last dime to buy me and my brother a chocolate bar. That's the kind of man he was.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

If I ever had any fond memories of my dad, they are long forgotten. He was, and still is, a sarcastic, insulting, rage-aholic. I suspect he was not treated well, having been a child of older parents. His mother came here from Germany, and his father was of German descent also.

I hope my children have better memories of me. When I married their mother, I became an instant father of two cute little girls. Add two more girls of our own and we had a houseful of fun, at least until the teenage years. That's when we became involved in the craziness of Wayne Bent's the Lord Our Righteousness cult. Thank God he is in prison, now.

After a few years of marriage, we moved into the northern California woods, off the grid and away from TV and movies. In the woods, the children had to create their own entertainment when not being homeschooled or working on the day-to-day chores. All of them became excellent readers, well ahead of their grade levels. In fact, the youngest learned how to read on her own, just by eavesdropping on her older sister's lessons. 

Anyway, I hope I have made a positive impact on my 4 daughters' lives. They usually send me clothes or sci fi dvd's on Father's Day. My two step-daughters, now adults, have said that they were glad that I was their "dad" instead of their biological father.

• Like 2

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451