What is your position on love?

Bravus

• Administrators

I love it

• Like 1

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Administrators

I am still learning what it is...

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

there are many kinds of love i think 8 or more kinds in the Greek language, not just three.  Divine love is to be our study throughout eternity.  it has unfathomable depths.

• Like 2

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

there are many kinds of love i think 8 or more kinds in the Greek language, not just three.  Divine love is to be our study throughout eternity.  it has unfathomable depths.

God is Love.

Be like God and the rest should take care of itself.

His child Henry 

Bible student/Author https://www.loudcry101.com

• Members

Its the greatest thing given to mankind, and displayed in his moral law. Lets not forget his dieing for each and everyone of us.

• Like 1

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

To love one another was one of Christ's final commands before His crucifixion.

John 14:15: "“If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever"

Looking at the context, I believe this command of Jesus referes to John 13:34-35: "“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

Loving God and each other is paramount to our salvation because "love covers over a multitude of sins" (1 Peter 4:8).

Love is the most important attribute of God. God is love. See 1 Cor. 13.

The LGBT's say that we must "love" them, and by that they mean accept their behaviors, or accept them with their behaviors.  That's not my definition of "love".  Jesus loved, but He also condemned sins. 

8thdaypriest

I believe love is a principle - it is not an emotion.  That said, love causes emotions.  It can cause romantic passion (between spouses).  It can cause bitter sadness (with the loss of a loved one).  It can cause disappointment (with a child).  It can cause anxiety (with a sick friend or family member).

I characterize love with two words - acceptance and commitment.  I accept those I love as they are, no conditions attached.  I am committed to their well-being under all conditions.  Love is often a decision I make.  Since Jesus commands us to love others, that almost means it has to be a decision we can make.  I can decide to love my neighbors and my enemies.  Looking out for the well-being of others does not mean doing what they want.  It often means the opposite.  Parents making a child eat vegetables instead of ice cream is looking out for the child's well-being although it probably doesn't make the child feel all fuzzy warm with love.

• Like 3

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

The LGBT's say that we must "love" them, and by that they mean accept their behaviors, or accept them with their behaviors.  That's not my definition of "love".  Jesus loved, but He also condemned sins. 

I agree - Jesus condemned sins. But how often while He was here on earth did he condemn sinners?  He convicted sinners of their sin; but the only sinners He truly railed against (condemned?) were the leaders of the established church for twisting the character of God.  Only satan condemns and accuses us before God every chance He gets.  He condemns us in our minds; and we fall for the lie!

The only way we can know what love is is by looking at how Christ loved people -not at  the way people want to be looked at - and emulate Him.  LGBT's want to be loved and accepted.  So does everone else.  We should love all people - LGBT's, alcoholics, drug users, pig eaters, Sunday-Keepers, gossips, etc.  We all want to be loved.  One of our biggest calling as as Christians is to love everyone.  That being said, God's love doesn't always look or feel like how we view love.  Ask Abraham when he was told to kill His son.  Ask Joseph when he was tied to a camel on his way to Egypt.  Ask Jesus as he hung on the cross.  Ask the apostles as they were being incarcerated, tortured and martyred.

Edited by JoeMo

I agree - Jesus condemned sins. But how often while He was here on earth did he condemn sinners? 

He DID say, "Go and sin no more." 

8thdaypriest

He DID say, "Go and sin no more."

Yes He did; but that is encouragement; not condemnation.  I wonder how many people that he said that to actually succeeded in never sinning again?

• Like 3

We should love all people - LGBT's, alcoholics, drug users, pig eaters, Sunday-Keepers, gossips, etc. 

Wow! Even pig-eaters!  Well, I know some cows that say we should eat more chicken.

If I were to give my opinion of the biggest sinners in that group list above, it would be gossips.  Satan is the accuser of the brethren.  Proverbs has a lot to say about tale-bearers.  Ezekiel 28:16 states that Lucifer's merchandise resulted in him being filled with violence and sinning.  What was Lucifer selling?  Since we know he is the father of lies and the accuser of the brethren,,, perhaps what he was selling was a juicy story.  So gossip could be one of the original sins right next to pride.  Most certainly, it has little to do with love.

• Like 3

So far Bravus, it seems people would much rather talk about Homosexuality than love.......very interesting and perhaps telling.

Homophobia-80 comments, 749 views

Love-15 comments, 109 views

Edited by CoAspen
Data add
  • Like 2

My position on love is that God is Love and we creatures don't have any say in what it is or is not. Read your bible and you will know little by little what Love is. Its a beautiful thing!

In Letters To Young Lovers, Ellen White says love is a principle often talked about but seldom understood.  1 Corinthians chapter 13 deserves much more study and reflection.