ClubAdventist is back!

Transparency

Naomi

• Administrators

Is total transparency always a good thing?

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Good question Naomi.  I think transparency is a 2-edged sword.  In my old age, I have come to a point where it's not worth the effort to hide my flaws and eccentricities from others in an effort to meet their expectations.  On the other hand, I have probably lost many so-called "friends" who can't deal with the "real me".  It's nice being able to be the same person in front of everyone as opposed to trying to be a different person in front of different people.

Transparency must be tempered with discretion.  There are levels of transparency depending on the closeness of the relationship.  For example, I am more transparent with my wife than I am with my "next-door" cubicle neighbor at work.

• Members

Nope.  Can you imagine what would have happened during WWII if people had demanded the transparency of governments the way it's demanded nowadays?  We'd all be speaking either German or Japanese, and eating sauerkraut and/or chop suey every day...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

When it comes to true Jesus Receiving/Giving fellowship.

When we demonstrate Safety among the existing members we show we can handle transparency.

These very things contribute to the Healing we all desperately need.

Edited by GayatfootofCross

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

" If you tarry 'til you're better
You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite."

Romeo and Juliet

• Administrators

Good question Naomi.  I think transparency is a 2-edged sword.  In my old age, I have come to a point where it's not worth the effort to hide my flaws and eccentricities from others in an effort to meet their expectations.  On the other hand, I have probably lost many so-called "friends" who can't deal with the "real me".  It's nice being able to be the same person in front of everyone as opposed to trying to be a different person in front of different people.

Transparency must be tempered with discretion.  There are levels of transparency depending on the closeness of the relationship.  For example, I am more transparent with my wife than I am with my "next-door" cubicle neighbor at work.

I agree JoeMo.  The person I am with my close family is not necessary the person I am when calling on a sick or distressed individual.  Both are genuine, but different situations. 

• Administrators

Nope.  Can you imagine what would have happened during WWII if people had demanded the transparency of governments the way it's demanded nowadays?  We'd all be speaking either German or Japanese, and eating sauerkraut and/or chop suey every day...

Yes Pam, you got my point.  There are just times when it is best not to show all of your cards  Lives can depend on it.

In this sinful world total transparency may not always be best, but I think on an individual level, we really would do better to be more transparent--both with our own selves as well as others.

If being "opaque" is the opposite of being transparent, why is it that many of us are the most opaque with brothers and sisters from church?  People ask "how are you?" and no matter how messed up our lives are we answe "Oh, I'm blessed! God is so good!"  Complete atheist strangers are frquently more open and honest with me than are fellow believers who are allegedly my "friends".

• Administrators

Probably there are many reasons, but I suspect that one reason is that because we appear to have it together, they don't want us to think they don't have it together, and the beat goes on ................. The stranger on the street doesn't care if we watched the game {at least a few minutes} on Sabbath afternoon. If we open the door just a crack and they respond we are off on a completely different relationship. Sad but true That's why I love small group Sabbath School lesson studies. When we come together study and share how the lesson applies to our lives walls come down. We don't have to cover every day to benefit as a group. Taking time to pray together 2x2 before or after class is a time for us to seriously bond.

• Like 3

Yes Pam, you got my point.  There are just times when it is best not to show all of your cards  Lives can depend on it.

In answer to below, excellent conclusions IMHO.

5 hours ago, rudywoofs said:

::like::

God is Love!   Jesus saves!  :D

Lift Jesus up!!

It is better for people to not like the real you then to have them like the fake you.

In God's Church we betray His Spirit and even our own gifts for healing when we are not transparent with each other.

GBU JoeMo!

Jesus Light shines on us all in front of each other.

Edited by GayatfootofCross

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

" If you tarry 'til you're better
You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite."

Romeo and Juliet

• Administrators

Perhaps I should wait for JoeMo to clarify his statement. However, I do believe that there is a level of discretion t be applied even in church. Its not being dishonest. It doesn't mean that you are not real when you don't share your deepest,darkest secret. You are not being fake when you walk away from a situation which you have no control over and can't change it. You are not being fake when you smile, welcome people to church, your home or wherever and you really just don't feel hospitable. A wise old pastor once told me, to chose your words wisely, chose who you trust wisely, chose your friends wisely. I should apply his wisdom more frequently. We are all many people and how we respond to our fellow humans can either help or discourage them. Total transparency can cause much damage when shared at an I opportune time. Just my humble opinion ...............

I was married to a German for 51 years, and I don't recall her serving sauerkraut more than about once every ten years.

If being "opaque" is the opposite of being transparent, why is it that many of us are the most opaque with brothers and sisters from church?  People ask "how are you?" and no matter how messed up our lives are we answe "Oh, I'm blessed! God is so good!"  Complete atheist strangers are frquently more open and honest with me than are fellow believers who are allegedly my "friends".

How often do people saying "how are you?" really care to know the answer - or the complaints?

• Like 2

How often do people saying "how are you?" really care to know the answer - or the complaints?

Many times - and that is how "acquaintances" converse with one another.  If a friend asks me in more than passing in the hallway, I will tell them how I am, cuz friends should care; and I should be able to feel "safe" around friends.  I'm naive like that.

I often pick my friends through the filter of who at least acts like they care about me (even if it's just sometimes); and who I am inclined to care about.  If its a match, we're friends.

• Members

I was married to a German for 51 years, and I don't recall her serving sauerkraut more than about once every ten years.

I'm guessing that she really didn't like sauerkraut very much! :)

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Hand-picked friends?

Many times - and that is how "acquaintances" converse with one another.  If a friend asks me in more than passing in the hallway, I will tell them how I am, cuz friends should care; and I should be able to feel "safe" around friends.  I'm naive like that.

I often pick my friends through the filter of who at least acts like they care about me (even if it's just sometimes); and who I am inclined to care about.  If its a match, we're friends.

Does    it depend on the mask you are wearing?

Edited by Johann

Does    it depend on the mask you are wearing?

Actualy, most people would probably have to answer "yes" if they were being honest.  Hard as I try not to, I find myself wearing masks.  The mask I wear most often is one that changes all by itself - called "political correctness".  I wish I would lose that mask.

• Like 3

The flesh is weak. So we must not forget

Matthew 28:17-19King James Version (KJV)

17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

God inspired a thought in my heart one Sabbath afternoon while on a sabbath hike alone,

That was he wanted me to be transparent so the light and love he shines on me could be seen and reflect back to others around me.

That kind of transparency  is such that my wretchedness would not come between others and God's beauty as i witnessed to others of his glory.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Moderators

In this week's SS lesson, it was brought out that Jesus was totally transparent about his being the Messiah with the woman at the well in Jn 4, but He was not very open about it with the Jews.  The former was open to the truth, the latter would kill Him for the claim.  In Esther's case, she initially concealed her nationality, not that she nor Jesus told a lie, but as Naomi said, they just did not lay all their cards out in the open.  As Jesus said, "Be as wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

• Like 2

In this week's SS lesson, it was brought out that Jesus was totally transparent about his being the Messiah with the woman at the well in Jn 4, but He was not very open about it with the Jews.  The former was open to the truth, the latter would kill Him for the claim.  In Esther's case, she initially concealed her nationality, not that she nor Jesus told a lie, but as Naomi said, they just did not lay all their cards out in the open.  As Jesus said, "Be as wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

::like::

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :D

Lift Jesus up!!