ClubAdventist is back!

When President Wilson Changed His Mind

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

Gilbert M. Valentine is the author of a number of books  on SDA history to include Ellen White.  Recently he wrote an article entitled: When President Wilson Changed His Mind about Policy for Women, which ws published in a well-known magazine read by SDAs.

NOTE: I am intentional in not giving the exact reference.

Without reference to the article, react to the title which I have given above.

Gregory

• Moderators

I have not posted this because I wanted to play games.  In reading the article, I learned a lesion.  I am hoping that others may see the same lesion, which we can discuss.

Gregory

• Moderators

This looks like it will be a good thread! I wish that either Elder Valentine or Elder Gerald Wheeler would do a biography on Lynn Harper Wood.

I am guessing that the reference to president Wilson is a reference to President of the United States Woodrow Wilson and the "policy for women" deals with the right to vote.

God never said "Thou shalt not think".

• Moderators

You guessed right. 

I began the article thinking it was about President Ted.  Instead, it was about President Woodrow Wilson.

How often, do many of us, obviously I am included, begin reading something with a bias that we got from the title, or something else.

It was of interest to me, the length of time it took me to get beyond my bias  to deal with historical facts about President Woodrow  Wilson and women's voting rights. 

Now that I have given it away, you can read it in:  SPECTRUM, Vol. 43, Issue 2, Spring 2015, pages 72 - 80.

Gregory

My main non-professional reading interest has always been military history, with emphasis on the First World War. So when I see the words "president Wilson" together I immediately think of Woodrow. I already had that association in my mind before realising that it might also apply to Ted Wilson or his father. However, we tend not to address our conference, union, division and GC presidents as "President so-and-so", preferring the title "pastor" or "elder", while the president of the US has been styled "Mr President", or "President so-and-so" since the days of George Washington.

God never said "Thou shalt not think".

• Moderators

I address the GC President as President Ted for the following reasons:

1) It is an honorable position and title.

2) The duties of the GC President remove the President far from the relationship that a congregational pastor must build with the members.

3) If God calls one to serve as GC President, then take both the position and the title.  Do not asume the title of a position one has not been call to take--a congregational pastor.

Edited by Gregory Matthews
  • Like 2

Gregory

When I saw the title I asked myself "Woodrow" or "Ted".  When I saw the thread was started by Gregory Matthews I thought, "must be Ted". 

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

Shane, a perfect example of the bias that all of us, to include myself, have.

Thanks for acknowledging it.

:)

Gregory